2004 Tacoma Tow Package

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2004 Tacoma Tow Package

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Question 2004 Tacoma Tow Package

Just wondering if there is any way to ad the required accessories to increase the tow rating of the 2004 Tacoma. I have a 2004 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab. It already has a hitch, thus I thought it had the tow pkg. Unfortunately according to Toyota US this vehicle does not. Thanks to anyone who may have some info on this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2004 Tacoma Tow Package

Only way to tell is buy the hitch and look at the fan clutch if its orange you dont have the tow package, if its green you do. Tow package is rated at 5000 lbs but i wouldnt tow that much. I did a move from California to Texas with a 3500-4000 lbs uhaul and suprisingly it did very well. Now mind you this is with a 3.4L. Before i did the move i added the green fan clutch and also a secondary tranny cooler.
    2002 TACOMA 3.4L AUTO 153K

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the input. I had a look and I have the orange fan clutch. Is this a big job to change, if it's even possible? I'm having a tranny cooler installed this week. And I think for the time being we will be okay pulling our tent trailer, but eventually we want to get a larger trailer, keeping in mind the tow rating. Thanks again.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic2chris View Post
    Thanks for the input. I had a look and I have the orange fan clutch. Is this a big job to change, if it's even possible? I'm having a tranny cooler installed this week. And I think for the time being we will be okay pulling our tent trailer, but eventually we want to get a larger trailer, keeping in mind the tow rating. Thanks again.
    No worries...if i remember correctly you need to remove the radiator shroud, take the fan belt off, take the fan off the crank, then remove the clutch from fan. I got this off the ttora website Toyota Tacoma FSM Page, its the service manual.
    2002 TACOMA 3.4L AUTO 153K

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks, I'm checking out the link ASAP. Have a good one.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Can I please ask for a link to that article?

So to make the 04 Tacoma have the factory tow package we need to install a new Fan Clutch and Transmission cooler?

Unregistered
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MCSEDanny View Post
    Can I please ask for a link to that article?

So to make the 04 Tacoma have the factory tow package we need to install a new Fan Clutch and Transmission cooler?
    Sure can, 2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma FSM keep in mind, it's just the factory service manual here.
    and don't forget the hitch

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

unless I am mistaken you also need a class 5 hitch to complete the towing package.

Liked
    0 times

Class III hitches can handle up to 5,000 lbs. GTW and 500 lbs. tongue weight
    2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    265/75R/16 BFG ATs on Ivan Stewart TRD Rims
    - Westin Safari Light Bar with 6" KC Driving Lights - Spray in Bedliner - Roll-N-Loc Tonneau Cover
    4" Deck Plate Mod - Skid Row Skid Plates - Pioneer Avic-D3 Navigation

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just installed a factory tow hitch on my 04 dbl cab do i need to add a fan clutch and transmission cooler?? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)