timing chain cost and is it time?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: timing chain cost and is it time?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default timing chain cost and is it time?

on average what would it cost for me to have a timing chain replaced in a 96 tacoma 2.7 liter 4 cylinder..... also the thing runs absolutely perfect, i just feel it may be time to change at 173,000 miles, how long will one of these chains go?
    yeah it's a titan!.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    12 times

Exclamation Re: timing chain cost and is it time?

replace the chain if it makes noise at idle. if not, then
    don't. the only time i see the chains needing to be
    replaced is if the oil is not change a lot. should last
    the life of the engine. mine do. yspert
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: timing chain cost and is it time?

My experience is with a 2.4 litre in a '95 4Runner, so the situation may be a little different.

I replaced the timing chain at about 235,000 km when I could hear it winding up as a sort of counterpoint to the engine's reving. It didn't sound right, although the engine still ran pretty well.

My friend's a GM dealer mechanic and hadn't done one, so he read up on it and found out about the hidden bolt usually buried in oil at the end of the head (2.4 engine), and successfully removed the old timing chain. It was stretched beyond tolerances, so he put the new one on and replaced the water pump at the same time.

That's 140,000 km ago so the memory's a bit vague. I think it took him about four hours and cost $250-350 for the aftermarket parts. The job was challenging enough to get a good mechanic's attention, though readily done in an evening.

When is it time to change the chain? Toyotas have non-interference engines, so it's not as though it's a Honda or an Audi. From what I've seen a worn chain will annoy you with its whirring to the point that you'll change it long before it breaks.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

if it's the 22R this talks about it! Toyota 22R Timing Chain Replacement- ORN
    if it is not broken why break it? Labor is about 90 bucks per hour
    Last edited by HOGWILD; 10-25-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Liked
    12 times

Exclamation Re: timing chain cost and is it time?

When is it time to change the chain? Toyotas have non-interference engines, so it's not as though it's a Honda or an Audi. From what I've seen a worn chain will annoy you with its whirring to the point that you'll change it long before it breaks.

you may want to look into the above statement. yspert
    Graduated from Y to Z status. I only work for "likes"!

Liked
    4 times
    Images

The guides usually get worn out before the chain does. That's the annoyance.

I would get it changed with that many miles on the truck though.
    "You can't be afraid to reverse engineer something to see how it works." -Me

Liked
    3 times

The 1983-1995 22R is the only overhead cam engine in Toyotas line up that tends to need a new timing chain mechanism after 150,000 miles or so.

Thats why on ebay you only see timing chain kit ads for the 22R, but almost never for the Previa and Tacoma.

yspert is right that your Tacoma chain mechanism should last the life of the engine IF
    you've been changing the oil regularly and not driving abusively (e.g alot of full throttle starts from a dead stop or lugging the engine in too high of a gear when going up hills)