3RZFE- Replacing Burnt Exhaust Valves

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3RZFE- Replacing Burnt Exhaust Valves

Liked
    0 times

Talking 3RZFE- Replacing Burnt Exhaust Valves

I got some fantastic help on this project from mustang67408. He was an excellent resource for both knowledge and encouragement. Many thanks to him for putting up with a barrage of PMs full of silly questions

My buddy has a 1998 Taco that was missing badly on one cylinder (actually when it was fully warmed up it missed on more than one cylinder). I did a compression check and #1 was 100 psi lower than the rest. A cylinder leakdown test revealed bad exhaust valve/s on #1, so I knew my work was cut out for me. My buddy wants to get this thing running as inexpensively as possible, so he can sell it and get a Taco with the 3.4l.

Here is a simplified version of the events that took place thereafter:
    I made this:

Look like this:

So I could dissassemble this:

Before teardown I measured and recorded the valve clearances. All of the exhaust valves were too tight. I knew that only #1 had burned though because of the compression test.
    Here's what the valves on #1 looked like when I got them out:

The valve on the left is obviously more burnt than the one on the right, but I am going to replace both valves. I deliberated on whether or not to have a machine shop replace the seats, but this was a budget project that I wanted to complete this weekend, so I was trying to stay away from the machine shop and related expenses/delays if at all possible.
    mustang67408 advised me to try lapping then in good. I gave it a shot, and after a few minutes the seats cleaned up pretty well:

With the new valves and newly lapped seats, I installed the springs. Then I turned the head upside down and filled the combustion chamber with solvent (also mustangs idea). In the picture you can see my compression tester adapter acting as a plug for the spark plug hole:

After several minutes of that with only very minor seepage, after 10 minutes not even a drop had formed in the exhaust runner,but it was visibly damp. After cleaning the mating surfaces on the block and head, the head went on and then all of the valves needed to be adjusted. I had read the FSM and measured all valve clearances before disassembly, so it was a simple matter of measuring the existing shims and comparing those two numbers with a chart to get the sizes of shims needed for correct clearances. I had to guess what shim would be appropriate for the two new valves, and I got one of them right and one wrong. I had to make an extra trip to the dealership, but all the valves are perfect now. The shims sit in buckets on top of the valve stem/springs. If you look close, you can see the setup in this picture. The valves on the right have the shims installed, the left side have empty buckets.

The FSM calls for two SST's for the adjustment proceedure, but they are for swapping shims with the cams in place. You don't need then when the camshafts are removed from the head. In my case, it would have been nice to have them because I ended up removing the exhaust camshaft an extra time in order to reshim the one new valve.

I got the whole thing back together and it runs like a champ. Purrs at idle and has much more power than it did before (go figure!)

Thanks again to mustang67408 for all of his support! He knows his shi'ite for sure.

I hope this simple write up helps someone in the future. I spent a total of about 12 hours over the course of 4 days to get this thing done. I would rate the job at about a 7 on a scale of 1-10 for difficulty. It definately wasn't easy,but it is very doable for someone with average mechanic skills. If you need help changing your sparkplugs, this probably isn't a job you want to take on
    Last edited by zlathim; 03-17-2008 at 07:47 AM.
    Black 2000 Tundra AC 4x4 TRD
    Stock everything, just the way I like it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: 3RZFE- Replacing Burnt Exhaust Valves

Why did your exhaust valves burn in the first place? Some abnormality had to have caused the exhaust valves to get abnormally hot and in turn cause the valve wear or valve seat wear that in turn caused the exhaust valve clearances to tighten up. What abnormality was it? Engine pinging? Cooling system problems? Delayed spark plug changes? Driving with an ignition miss? Engine mods? Exhaust system mods?

Liked
    34 times

Cheap AMERICAN STEEL used to make the valves. It's the same reason most of the 3.0L V-6 exhaust valves tuliped too.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
    Why did your exhaust valves burn in the first place? Some abnormality had to have caused the exhaust valves to get abnormally hot and in turn cause the valve wear or valve seat wear that in turn caused the exhaust valve clearances to tighten up. What abnormality was it? Engine pinging? Cooling system problems? Delayed spark plug changes? Driving with an ignition miss? Engine mods? Exhaust system mods?
    Nope- no mods. Completely stock high mileage (200K) engine. I am assuming that the valves had never been adjusted, probably had a lack of maintenance all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408 View Post
    Cheap AMERICAN STEEL used to make the valves. It's the same reason most of the 3.0L V-6 exhaust valves tuliped too.
    I trust that Victor knows what he is talking about with regards to the mechanics of Toyota engines. Everything he has told me so far has been spot on.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

zlathim: hey i have a question for you. My brother in law just got a 98 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 and the previous owner said that it has burnt valves as the shop he took it into diagnosed. We ran the CEL codes and got back, P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire detected) P0304 (Cylinder #4 Misfire detected) P1300 (igniter circuit fault (bank #1)) P1310 (igniter circuit fault (bank 3#)). I havent done a compression check on it yet but would you say that their diagnose is correct and corresponds to those engine codes? I am not sure if it is what they say or an ignition problem. Thank you for your help!

Liked
    0 times

Pretty cool. The engine looks really clean, do you know what oil was used? Ive heard the 4 bangers need valve adjustments every 60K because of the burnt valve issue.
    2002 TACOMA 3.4L AUTO 153K

Liked
    0 times

Sorry guys, I haven't looked at this post in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Timtiminy View Post
    zlathim: hey i have a question for you. My brother in law just got a 98 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 and the previous owner said that it has burnt valves as the shop he took it into diagnosed. We ran the CEL codes and got back, P0300 (random/multiple cylinder misfire detected) P0304 (Cylinder #4 Misfire detected) P1300 (igniter circuit fault (bank #1)) P1310 (igniter circuit fault (bank 3#)). I havent done a compression check on it yet but would you say that their diagnose is correct and corresponds to those engine codes? I am not sure if it is what they say or an ignition problem. Thank you for your help!
    Yes, If I remember correctly, I got very similar codes in this one. I would recommend doing a comp test followed up with a leak down test. Seeing as how I am so late in responding, you probably have your situation figured out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Arb1977 View Post
    Pretty cool. The engine looks really clean, do you know what oil was used? Ive heard the 4 bangers need valve adjustments every 60K because of the burnt valve issue.
    I have no idea what oil was used, but it was a nice clean engine from what I can remember of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.