1996 4x4 Tacoma Tires

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 1996 4x4 Tacoma Tires

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default tire sizes

We are purchasing the 1996 Tacoma and it has P225/R75/15 on it now, we want to put P265/R75/15 on it. Is there a computer chip in the engine that needs to be recalibrated, to accomodate the new size? Can this be done? Someone told us that we need to do this. Is it hard to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Going from 225 to 275's shouldn't make much of a difference to the speedo/odometer. You could always go with a TruSpeed Recalibrator.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Well first off going from 225/75 15 to 265 75 15 is a pretty big jump in tire size. Basically you go from a 28.3 inch tire to a 30.6 inch tire thats a difference of 8.4%. Now most people will tell you not to exceed an increase of more than roughly 3% with stock drivetrain and components or you'll start to feel the negative effects. Can it be done. Yes. Will it cost money, Oh yeah. I'm assuming with that stock tire size the truck is a 5 bolt 2wd as opposed to the 6 bolt on 4x4 and prerunner models. So first you'll have to consider if the tire will even fit at stock height. The 265 75 15 is quite a bit taller and much wider than the stock tire and without a significant lift it will not fit. The tire will most likely rub on the inner fenders, and maybe the control arm when the suspension is compressed or when turning.
    Next thing you need to consider is new gears. Do to the increase in tire size you'll need to consider lower gears maybe 4.10's or your truck will feel as if you have lost power. This is even more important in 4 cylinder truck where power loss is felt greater than say in a V6. Think of it like a ten speed bike, and say you're the engine. You can have all the power in the world but if you're in a really high gear pedaling down the street your legs may be moving really fast but the bike will just creep along, until you pick a higher gear that is and then your speed will increase. Gears can also be pricy. Now you don't need new gears but it certainly corrects a lot of issues when you increase tire size as significant as you're talking about. It'll keep the trucks performance as far as speed and power closer to stock performance, and it'll correct your speedo because it'll be out.
    After that brakes. You may want to consider bigger brakes, or stopping distances will be increased. The tacoma mini trucks have smaller brakes than the prerunner and 4wd trucks.
    So all in all a must is the lift, which I hear are few and far in between for the 5 bolt Tacoma's as their suspension setup is much different from that of the 4wd and prerunner Tacoma's. I wish it were as easy as bolting in a used 4wd suspension but it's not. The 5 bolts have considerable differences from their bigger brothers the prerunner and 4wd models. A lift for the 5 bolt Tacoma's will run you at least a few thousand. Then gears possibly, a few more hundred, maybe brakes a few more hundred, and labour for who ever is going to do the install work. I've seen it done before but for the time, effort and money required to do it you'd be better off going and buying prerunner 2wd Tacoma or a 4wd Tacoma.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown78
    Well first off going from 225/75 15 to 265 75 15 is a pretty big jump in tire size. Basically you go from a 28.3 inch tire to a 30.6 inch tire thats a difference of 8.4%. Now most people will tell you not to exceed an increase of more than roughly 3% with stock drivetrain and components or you'll start to feel the negative effects. Can it be done. Yes. Will it cost money, Oh yeah. I'm assuming with that stock tire size the truck is a 5 bolt 2wd as opposed to the 6 bolt on 4x4 and prerunner models. So first you'll have to consider if the tire will even fit at stock height. The 265 75 15 is quite a bit taller and much wider than the stock tire and without a significant lift it will not fit. The tire will most likely rub on the inner fenders, and maybe the control arm when the suspension is compressed or when turning.
    Next thing you need to consider is new gears. Do to the increase in tire size you'll need to consider lower gears maybe 4.10's or your truck will feel as if you have lost power. This is even more important in 4 cylinder truck where power loss is felt greater than say in a V6. Think of it like a ten speed bike, and say you're the engine. You can have all the power in the world but if you're in a really high gear pedaling down the street your legs may be moving really fast but the bike will just creep along, until you pick a higher gear that is and then your speed will increase. Gears can also be pricy. Now you don't need new gears but it certainly corrects a lot of issues when you increase tire size as significant as you're talking about. It'll keep the trucks performance as far as speed and power closer to stock performance, and it'll correct your speedo because it'll be out.
    After that brakes. You may want to consider bigger brakes, or stopping distances will be increased. The tacoma mini trucks have smaller brakes than the prerunner and 4wd trucks.
    So all in all a must is the lift, which I hear are few and far in between for the 5 bolt Tacoma's as their suspension setup is much different from that of the 4wd and prerunner Tacoma's. I wish it were as easy as bolting in a used 4wd suspension but it's not. The 5 bolts have considerable differences from their bigger brothers the prerunner and 4wd models. A lift for the 5 bolt Tacoma's will run you at least a few thousand. Then gears possibly, a few more hundred, maybe brakes a few more hundred, and labour for who ever is going to do the install work. I've seen it done before but for the time, effort and money required to do it you'd be better off going and buying prerunner 2wd Tacoma or a 4wd Tacoma.
    Yep, I agree. It would be cheaper and easier to just get a different truck...
    4WD Toyota Tech and Overland Adventures: WWW.TACODOC.COM

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default 1996 4x4 Tacoma Tires

I purchased a truck that came with stock P225/R70/R15 . When I bought the truck it had P235/R75/R15 on the truck. I noticed that the newer trucks have the P265/R75/R15 on them. I know that the truck has the proper space to put the tires on the truck. I have been told that there is a computer chip in the engine that you can have reprogramed at the Toyota dealership to change everything so the transmition and whatever else needs to be changed runs correctly with the bigger tires. Has anyone done something like this or is this information that I have been given false. I would like to put the P265's on if everything would work out. This truck has an automatic transmition and a V6 engine.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

First you shouldn't repost the same thing you posted last night, just an FYI. Now if you have a base 96 4x4 you can fit 265/75 15s without fitment problems. As for the computer chip question changing it will not correct anything except maybe your speedo readout. You don't need to do anything to your ECU to change tire size. Be warned though that if you do change tire size, you will feel a dramatic loss of power without changing gears. While there are many electronics in your truck it is still mainly a mechanical machine. Your wheels are essentially the final gear in the transfer of power from the engine to the road, and no amount of playing with the electronics changes that. Changing tire size changes gear ratio's. Your trucks gears are different from those 96 models that came with 31" tires. Your trucks gear ratio is unfortunatly 3.58 with your stock tires, the trucks that came with 31's have different lower 4.10 gears. Now if you put on 31's your trucks gear ratio will be even higher than 3.58 not sure of the math right this second but I'm guessing in the 3.0 region. That's real bad, it'll feel like your driving a golf cart. If you change the stock gears to 4.10 the power will return. So don't worry about the computer you don't have to do anything to it, and if you can live with the loss of power without regearing do it. As for your leaf spring question from your third post on this truck email or go to the wheelers offroad website they can hook you up.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by tbrown78
    First you shouldn't repost the same thing you posted last night, just an FYI. Now if you have a base 96 4x4 you can fit 265/75 15s without fitment problems. As for the computer chip question changing it will not correct anything except maybe your speedo readout. You don't need to do anything to your ECU to change tire size. Be warned though that if you do change tire size, you will feel a dramatic loss of power without changing gears. While there are many electronics in your truck it is still mainly a mechanical machine. Your wheels are essentially the final gear in the transfer of power from the engine to the road, and no amount of playing with the electronics changes that. Changing tire size changes gear ratio's. Your trucks gears are different from those 96 models that came with 31" tires. Your trucks gear ratio is unfortunatly 3.58 with your stock tires, the trucks that came with 31's have different lower 4.10 gears. Now if you put on 31's your trucks gear ratio will be even higher than 3.58 not sure of the math right this second but I'm guessing in the 3.0 region. That's real bad, it'll feel like your driving a golf cart. If you change the stock gears to 4.10 the power will return. So don't worry about the computer you don't have to do anything to it, and if you can live with the loss of power without regearing do it. As for your leaf spring question from your third post on this truck email or go to the wheelers offroad website they can hook you up.
    sorry about the re-post I wanted to clarify that the truck was a 4x4. I didn't know if anyone would see it burried in the other thread.

Liked
    0 times

Threads have been merged... .
    2004 SR5 Double Cab 4x4 w/TRD Pkg.
    Mods to Date:
    16" 5 Spoke Brawn Enkei Wheels, Keyless Entry, Line-X Bed Liner, Challenger Running Boards, Husky Floor Liners, Bug Flector II (painted to match), Colegan Bra, Borla Dual (Side-Exit) Exhaust System, 2" Wheeler's Coil Lift, TRD Add-A-Leafs
    Mods to Come:
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's,
    Possible Mods:
    Seat Covers, 3M Clear Bra (hopefully... just cost so friggin' much!)