2001 Tacoma 4X4--need help

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2001 Tacoma 4X4--need help

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2001 Tacoma 4X4--need help

Hi all, I am new here and I hate to ask for help first thing but I miss my truck. I have a 2001 Tacoma 4 door, 4X4, V6 SR5, TRD. The problem just came on instantly. I had driven it all day and no problems. It will try to start. When the starter engages the engine will fire and run for about 1 second and die. It will then spin over fine for as long as you want to spin it but will not start. If I turn the key off and back on it will again fire and die. It will do this each time the key is turned back to off and then back to start. Now heres where it gets more weird. If I turn the key off and then back on and leave it in the "on" position for 15-30 seconds the truck starts and runs perfect. The check engine light has never came on, so i suppose there are no codes. I have checked the crank and cam sensors and they ohm out fine. The fuel pump is working. All relays and fuses are good. I put a spark tester on it and have discoverd that when it dies its because of loss of spark. Has plenty of spark at first and then it just stops. Is there a way to test the igniter? Its a 400.00 part and I just can't afford to buy it just to check if its bad. The coils and plug wires all check good. There is 12 volts to each coil even after it dies. Can the crank sensor be bad even if it checks good with ohm meter? Does anyone have a digram of the terminals on the ecm for 2001 tacoma v6? If so could you please post it? The manual I have is for 2003 and the ecm wiring is a little different from mine. I have been trying to fix my baby for several days and I really would appreciate some help if anyone has experienced anything like this. Thanks a lot.Rod

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2001 Tacoma 4X4--need help

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodd38
    Hi all, I am new here and I hate to ask for help first thing but I miss my truck. I have a 2001 Tacoma 4 door, 4X4, V6 SR5, TRD. The problem just came on instantly. I had driven it all day and no problems. It will try to start. When the starter engages the engine will fire and run for about 1 second and die. It will then spin over fine for as long as you want to spin it but will not start. If I turn the key off and back on it will again fire and die. It will do this each time the key is turned back to off and then back to start. Now heres where it gets more weird. If I turn the key off and then back on and leave it in the "on" position for 15-30 seconds the truck starts and runs perfect. The check engine light has never came on, so i suppose there are no codes. I have checked the crank and cam sensors and they ohm out fine. The fuel pump is working. All relays and fuses are good. I put a spark tester on it and have discoverd that when it dies its because of loss of spark. Has plenty of spark at first and then it just stops. Is there a way to test the igniter? Its a 400.00 part and I just can't afford to buy it just to check if its bad. The coils and plug wires all check good. There is 12 volts to each coil even after it dies. Can the crank sensor be bad even if it checks good with ohm meter? Does anyone have a digram of the terminals on the ecm for 2001 tacoma v6? If so could you please post it? The manual I have is for 2003 and the ecm wiring is a little different from mine. I have been trying to fix my baby for several days and I really would appreciate some help if anyone has experienced anything like this. Thanks a lot.Rod
    I had similar problems on my '01. The fix was clean the MAF sensor and clean the idle control valve (just below the throttle body). These become dirty and the engine has a hard time controlling idle because of both reading the wrong air intake and not opening the idle control valve enough. It has nothing to do with spark.

Here are a couple post from another forum about this problem.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=1136

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=22681
    Jon
    '08 4Runner Limited V8 4WD, Icon suspension, Shrockworks Bumper, DeMello sliders, ARB fridge, dual battery kit, Yaesu FTM-350R, Yaesu FT-857d
    '05 Double Cab 4x4 V6 SR5 Auto White, SOLD
    '01 Double Cab 4x4 V6 Auto TRD Black, you will be missed.
    '89 BMW M3 Alpine White
    Mods: H&R Race Springs, Custom Valved Bilstein Shocks, IR Swaybars, Urethane & Delrin bushings, Splitsecond MAF computer, B&B Triflo dual 2.5", Short Sift, Sparco Race Seats and harness, Brembo 13.1" 4 Piston calipers, more...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

thanks for your reply Jon. I didnt mention before that it makes no difference where the gas pedal is--holding it open will let air in effectivly by-passing the idle control valve--but i have checked/cleaned it anyway--no change. MAF is clean as well.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodd38
    thanks for your reply Jon. I didnt mention before that it makes no difference where the gas pedal is--holding it open will let air in effectivly by-passing the idle control valve--but i have checked/cleaned it anyway--no change. MAF is clean as well.
    Humm.. I was hoping that would help. I do know that holding the gas made no difference on the starting problem on my truck as well. Did you clean the MAF with electric parts cleaner. Mine was really dirty, mostly because of the TRD oiled air filter.

I guess let us know what you find.
    Jon
    '08 4Runner Limited V8 4WD, Icon suspension, Shrockworks Bumper, DeMello sliders, ARB fridge, dual battery kit, Yaesu FTM-350R, Yaesu FT-857d
    '89 BMW M3 Alpine White
    Mods: H&R Race Springs, Custom Valved Bilstein Shocks, IR Swaybars, Urethane & Delrin bushings, Splitsecond MAF computer, B&B Triflo dual 2.5", Short Sift, Sparco Race Seats and harness, Brembo 13.1" 4 Piston calipers, more...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Are you able to check the fuel pressure? What is it?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have checked the fuel pressure by removing the fuel line and turning it over. As soon as the main relay activates it pumps like crazy. When its running you can't pinch the fuel line off and you can feel and hear fuel in the hose. Also when it spins over and wont start i smell fuel really strong, so I think the injectors are working. I feel sutre its something interupting the ignition, because as I posted earlier the spark stops after the initial start(runs for a second then dies, then--no spark). I am about to drive myself crazy with it. I live in hurricane Katrina area and dealer cant get to it till mid- March. Storm really backed everything up around here. When its running its as though nothing is wrong with it. But I know as soon as I use it it'll leave me stranded somewhere. At first it would start if I left the key on for about 5 seconds before turning it over. Now i have to wait a full minute or two with the key in the "on" position before it will start, and then its don't start every time. Thanks for the ideas and please keep them coming.

Liked
    0 times

How about the TPS? have you ohmed that out? That's where I would go next.
    Jon
    '89 BMW M3 Alpine White

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I think I have found the problem. Since i could turn the key off and back on after it dies and it would fire again I decided to try to duplicate the problem at various relays/connectors throughout the wiring harness. I would spin it over till it fired and died then unplug and replug each connector and component one at a time and see if it would fire after i plugged each item back in --it took a while. finally when I unplug and replug in the E-5 connector on the ecm it duplicates exactly what happens when i turn the key on and off again it will try to start and die each time i unplug and replug that connector. It is not losing voltage to the ecm at any point I have kept a meter on it while cranking and the voltage only drops a little for what the starter is taking. Each wire on the ecm has the specified output according to the manual so-----It must be the ecm itself. I have checked every sensor/relay/connector on the truck, its practically totally disassembled. If it can be tested with a ohm/voltage meter i'v done it. I see in my warranty book that the ecm is 8yrs/80000 mile warranty---so i hope it will be covered since i'm under that. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the ideas. dealer cant get to it for a month but i'll post what they say.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodd38 View Post
    I think I have found the problem. Since i could turn the key off and back on after it dies and it would fire again I decided to try to duplicate the problem at various relays/connectors throughout the wiring harness. I would spin it over till it fired and died then unplug and replug each connector and component one at a time and see if it would fire after i plugged each item back in --it took a while. finally when I unplug and replug in the E-5 connector on the ecm it duplicates exactly what happens when i turn the key on and off again it will try to start and die each time i unplug and replug that connector. It is not losing voltage to the ecm at any point I have kept a meter on it while cranking and the voltage only drops a little for what the starter is taking. Each wire on the ecm has the specified output according to the manual so-----It must be the ecm itself. I have checked every sensor/relay/connector on the truck, its practically totally disassembled. If it can be tested with a ohm/voltage meter i'v done it. I see in my warranty book that the ecm is 8yrs/80000 mile warranty---so i hope it will be covered since i'm under that. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the ideas. dealer cant get to it for a month but i'll post what they say.
    2001 3.4 manual trd 4wd-------------

I know this thread is fossilized by now but anyone else have this problem? Im pulling my hair out here. Same issue. Replaced crank and cam sensors. Replaced the MAF, ohm tested and volt/ground tested the harness, connections all good.
    What gives..............?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Power boats

Why can't you higher a mechanic to fix your problem because experimenting more and more cause more damage to the machine and results in the more financial loss.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Did changing the ECM work???