Need help, 98 tacoma popping noise while turning.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Need help, 98 tacoma popping noise while turning.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Need help, 98 tacoma popping noise while turning.

Hello, I have a 1998 Tacoma extended cab with the offroad package. Just recently I have noticed a popping sensation that seems to eminate from the left front tire. I can feel the popping up through the steering column. Also, when I go over a bump with that tire, there is an extra little rattle when the wheel reacts.

I recently put the car in park while running, rolled down my window, got out of the car and crouched down near the front tire. I reached in through the window to turn the steering wheel, and I could feel the tire shudder with the popping sensation when I turned the wheel from left to right and back again.

Obviously something is worn out. Is it the left front tie rod, steering linkage, or something else? it is getting progressively worse

any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Need help, 98 tacoma popping noise while turning.

I forgot to mention that can also feel a slight thunk/pop when I accelerate from a stop.

Should I also be checking the rack/pinion as well as the CV axle?

Liked
    9 times
    Images

If your truck is a 4x4 it sounds like the constant velocity joint in one or both of your front half shafts has failed. So far my Tundra has been good but I had several Nissan Maxima's (front wheel drive) that sounded and felt like you described when a CV joint failed. If yours is two wheel drive I'd guess a wheel bearing failure or ball joint.

Larry
    2004 Tundra V8 Limited Access Cab 4X4, Michelin 265/65/R17 LTX-AT2's, Auto Dim Comp/Temp Mirror, Aero Turbine #2525 muffler, Access Roll Up Cover, Optima D31A battery, Multi-Vex adaptive outside mirrors, Eclipse AVN5510 Nav unit and Sirius SIR-ECL1 tuner, as of 10/07 pictures in my photo gallery

2003 Camry SE V6 Navigation, Sirius, Lunar Mist
    Optima 34R battery

If a combo of all these whizz bangs met their claims you'd have to siphon gas out of your tank every second day and sell the excess horsepower on the third????
    If your engine doesn't consume ANY oil it will seize???

Turn signals are meant to indicate intent not result.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

It is a 4wd with manual locking hubs.