Transmission won't shift when cold..

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Transmission won't shift when cold..

Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission won't shift when cold..

My '01 DC Tacoma with 3.4L autotrans will not shift into drive when cold. The shifter goes through reverse goes into Drive but the transmission does not engage drive. If I let off the brakes, the truck inches along, regardless of throttle input. No weird noises or odors. Transmission fluid is at good level.

If I let the truck warm up, then it shifts normally. Once underway after initial crankup, no problems. It shifts fine while driving. The colder it gets here in TN, the more times it happens on initial start up in the mornings.

Toyota shop gave me the usual 5 minute 'we can't mimic it and the fluids are fine'. The truck has 98K miles on it.

Any takers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

"Rosco" Thread Derailer Flashgordon's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times

Default Re: Transmission won't shift when cold..

I'd first start off with a fluid change. With 98k miles and if it's never been done, thats the easiest thing to try.

Good luck!
    Drink more. It probably won't help you understand better, but it just might, and that's a chance worth taking....
    Author;
    Dr. Bundy-AKA-"The Good Doctor"

"you can take the man out of the ho, you can not take the ho out of the man..."
    Author;
    Our Cigar Smoking Scotch Drinking Lesbian Friend-"Dikkie"

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I highly doubt a fluid change will help any, chances are the pump might be bad or something in the valve body isn't happy. You need to have someone w/a scanner and the knowledge of how to read and interpret info from the scanner plus how to demand certain things from the vehicle to pin point the problem. I'd first make sure the fluid level is ok but i think that's all you'll be able to do yourself. W/a scanner you can see what's being commanded by the ECM and what's not happening with the tranny. Good luck.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I had a Ford Exploder that I had the tranny rebuilt on. There was a piece of dirt/varnish that was stuck in the valve body. When cold it would not downshift to first gear. Started and moved fine but stop signs/traffic lights within the first 5 minutes would result in a second gear start. Once warm the metals would expand enough to clear around the block.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by ICON View Post
    I highly doubt a fluid change will help any, chances are the pump might be bad or something in the valve body isn't happy. You need to have someone w/a scanner and the knowledge of how to read and interpret info from the scanner plus how to demand certain things from the vehicle to pin point the problem. I'd first make sure the fluid level is ok but i think that's all you'll be able to do yourself. W/a scanner you can see what's being commanded by the ECM and what's not happening with the tranny. Good luck.

I just returned from the Toyota shop here. The transmission was due for a 30K flush. The fluid looked normal, nothing out of the way. Tech said he ran a scanner and nothing showed abnormal.

I guess I get to rent a car one night and let them have it overnight so it can get cold and let them figure it out. Thanks for your replies. Not exactly holding my breath for any change in the transmission after the flush change. We'll see.

Thanks for all your guy's help.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PRTaco View Post
    I just returned from the Toyota shop here. The transmission was due for a 30K flush. The fluid looked normal, nothing out of the way. Tech said he ran a scanner and nothing showed abnormal.

I guess I get to rent a car one night and let them have it overnight so it can get cold and let them figure it out. Thanks for your replies. Not exactly holding my breath for any change in the transmission after the flush change. We'll see.

Thanks for all your guy's help.
    Big hint!!! Make sure you drop it off the night before and that they leave it OUTSIDE. When I had the problem they could never find it. They had the car for at least a week and it "never" did it. Owner even took it home 2 nights, "never" did it. They were right! The problem was they always kept the cars inside the shop at night and the owner kept in his garage. Both were heated and at 50+ degrees it was fine. I parked in front of their garage door and met them in the AM. Let them drive it COLD and TA DA! No first gear.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiasoon View Post
    Big hint!!! Make sure you drop it off the night before and that they leave it OUTSIDE. When I had the problem they could never find it. They had the car for at least a week and it "never" did it. Owner even took it home 2 nights, "never" did it. They were right! The problem was they always kept the cars inside the shop at night and the owner kept in his garage. Both were heated and at 50+ degrees it was fine. I parked in front of their garage door and met them in the AM. Let them drive it COLD and TA DA! No first gear.
    Do you remember what the diagnosis was for your vehicle?

Liked
    2 times
    Images

They said there was a piece of dirt stuck in some part of the valve body keeping one of the solenoids from closing.

Liked
    0 times

Heh..re-read one of your previous posts. Sorry for making you repeat.

Liked
    0 times

Update on initial post:

Transmission fluid was normal color and level. It was due for a change anyways, so I went with transmission fluid change / flush.

Problem solved and its been much colder since the problem came up in the first place.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm having this exact same problem with my 01 Tacoma v6. When its cold out (<20 f) the vehicle will go into reverse and back out of the garage just fine. When I try to shift into drive, nothing happens. No click, no surge, nothing. Pressing the accelerator causes it to crawl along, but the transmissions isn't really grabbing. The temporary fix has been to shift down to 1st and back into drive serveral times. Eventually it always engages.

Approximately 7500 miles back I did a flush with Amsoil ATF. I checked the fluid the first time this problem happened around a week ago and it was a quart low. I topped it off but the problem continues. Has anobody every heard of the amsoil not performing well in extrmely cold temps?

Did you ever resolve this issue? My (pregnant) wife drives this vehicle and I need it to be reliable.

Liked
    4 times

Flushing trannies every 30K miles or drain/fill pan every 15K miles is the best insurance for long lasting tranny. Don't even look at the fluid color,shape,form -- just follow the above schedule and it will last a lifetime (provided one does not abuse it). Its like an oil change, do you skip on it, so is the tranny, cannot skip any lubricating part in the vehicle.