Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

I have a year 2000 Tundra with 45,000 miles on it...by time its due
    for replacement...should I do it now or can I get away with more
    mileage?.....also do I really need to replace the tensioner and WP...
    I have used the Toyota coolant & changed it every 2 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Tundra Timing Belt Replacement

Don't even think about replacing it until 100,000 miles.
    yotatoter likes this.

Liked
    3 times

The Toyota coolant + distilled water combo extends water pump life to 20-25 years of 150,000 - 250,000 miles in my experience. The timing belt tensioner has about the same lifespan.

Many Toyota owners also report timing belts lasting 150,000 miles or more.

Given all of the above, I feel 15 years or 120,000 miles is a safe interval for most drivers to change all three: timing belt, tensioner and water pump. Aggressive, pedal to the metal type drivers ought to stick to the factory interval of 90,000 miles.

I would not take a chance on not replacing the tensioner when replacing the timing belt because most timing belt failures were are by faulty tensioners and since the 4.7 V8 in an interference motor, failure of the belt = catastrophic engine damage.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The recommended replacement of the water pump is strictly for maintenance cost's sake, not durability. They recommend changing it simply because you're already there, why pay for more labour when it finally does need replacement. From my Toyota experience, they're good for 100,000 mi easy.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

I got an estimate today to replace my 02 tundra timing belt (timing belt kit), serpent belt, and water pump for a little over $1000. This was not at a dealer. Wow! $300 for the kit, $191 for the water pump. I think I'll just trade it off, 162,000 miles but still running without any problems.

Liked
    0 times

Ive bought my 2000 last fall and it had 82k mi. all still original. Got a buddy who is a certified toyota mechanic he told me its not just a mileage thing but time as well we changed it in my garage I bought the parts online and saved big $$. any way my point is having pulled off the original belt by the looks (condition) it easily could have ran another 30 or 40k. But by the same token my 95 T -100 got recalled for head gaskets it had 62k mi. when I took it in for for head gaskets they told me they would go ahead & do timing belt and acc. belts for just the cost of the belts I told em go for it. they called me later that day and told me my water pump was weeping and needed replaced. It was out of warrinty at 60k I argued with them and they sprang for 1/2 the cost of the wp. and it had only toyota red coolant & distilled water.

Liked
    2825 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LawyerRon View Post
    Don't even think about replacing it until 100,000 miles.
    It just amazes me that people post up here with such off-the-cuff, dismissive, and pedantic statements like the above that show such disregard for a stated manufacturer's service interval, common sense, and another's property. Does your recommendation take into account the way the vehicle is driven? How about environmental degradation issues? A truck from the Southwest is not going to suffer the same seasonal temperature variations that a Northeast vehicle does. Shouldn't an owner "think about" these factors when making a decision?

The 2UZFE is an interference design. The OP lives in NY, an area with four seasons, and he's going on 10 years with the original belt. If his belt goes and destroys his engine, are you going to pony up and cover his cost?

Didn't think so...

Here's a good thread about the gamble you take by putting this proactive maintenance off: Has not changing the timing belt in time ever caused a tundra motor to fail?

Quote Originally Posted by kathyricks View Post
    The Toyota coolant + distilled water combo extends water pump life to 20-25 years of 150,000 - 250,000 miles in my experience. The timing belt tensioner has about the same lifespan.

Many Toyota owners also report timing belts lasting 150,000 miles or more.

Given all of the above, I feel 15 years or 120,000 miles is a safe interval for most drivers to change all three: timing belt, tensioner and water pump.
    20-25 years? 150K-200K miles? Jeez... That might be a gamble you want to take on your engine, but it's a highly presumptive recommendation to make on a public forum. When you hit 90,000-100,000 miles on your truck, a timing belt, water pump, tensioner replacement cost of say $250 in parts and another $450-$500 in labor isn't unreasonable when it buys you another 100K on your vehicle.

I'm not saying that these components can't achieve operational lives that long in perfect circumstances, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky02 View Post
    I got an estimate today to replace my 02 tundra timing belt (timing belt kit), serpent belt, and water pump for a little over $1000. This was not at a dealer. Wow! $300 for the kit, $191 for the water pump...
    This is quite a bit out of the ballpark. The part kit (with water pump) can be had via a reputable ebay dealer like Volkstoy for around $250. Labor costs should not exceed $500-$550.

As stated above, the water pump is recommended for replacement simply due to the fact that, doing the timing belt service, you already have 90% of the labor already done just to get you there. A few more bolts and the pump's off. Since a quality water pump is only ~$100, it's easier to just replace.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 02-12-2010 at 11:39 AM.
    gat_76 likes this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    0 times

I bought my '01 with 95K miles, and put another 120K or so on it before I smartened up and had the belt replaced. I called the dealer from where I bought the truck and the service guy said that my truck had not had the procedure. when I had the job done, I was told that the original water pump was leaking out the impeller shaft bearing. The cost was $825 for belt, tensioner, pump and labor.

Oh yeah, the tensioner was MAXED out. Any further, and WHAMMO, pistons, meet valves!

I won't go that far before changing it again!
    Mat M, AKA MatMan

www.M2Differentials.com
    "Putting our parts in your rear end since 2009!"
    MatM@M2Differentials.com

Supporter
    Liked
    1 times

It all boils down to risk and reward. Are you willing to risk the additional mileage at the possibility of ruining the motor. The cost of service now at approximately $1000 or a rebuilt motor which costs much more. your choice.

pat

Liked
    2 times

go with the recomended mileage or time intervals. its good to replace other parts while some of the engine is disasembled if they're close to being due for replacement. saves labor costs. and labor isnt cheap.
    i have a 2000 tundra and still only has 65k on it. the timing belt will probly rott off before i get 90k-100k on it. lol. next time i get serviced imma ask about it. i live in arkansas and weather does change alot here. hot humid and dry summers up to 100 degrees to wet winters with freezing temps.

i wish it stay sunny and 70 all the time. i like to live in hawaii but real estate is ungodly outragous.
    '00 Tundra 4x4 TRD limited - bone stock

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    360 times

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    It just amazes me that people post up here with such off-the-cuff, dismissive, and pedantic statements like the above that show such disregard for a stated manufacturer's service interval, common sense, and another's property.

[...]
    Yup. I agree.

Here's a simple analysis that I posted over three years ago:
    I expect to keep my '00 Truck about a quarter million miles, which will take me another 14 years. I will change the timing belt twice during that time. If I lengthen the change interval, I'll still change it twice. I would derive no benefit by lengthening the interval. It wouldn't save me a dime, and it would increase the risk of catastrophic failure. The only beneficiary would be whoever buys it from me, as they would get more use of the last belt I'll put in than I would.
    I stand by that analysis.

Now, wanna hear a story where the opposte scheme held sway?

Way back in the stone age (actually, the summer of '72, which was the summer after my freshman year at university), my future wife spent the summer living with her parents. She worked in the same government building her father worked in.

One day, he made a mid-day business trip such that she drove home from work without him. She drove his vehicle, which was a Chevy Nova that he had bought wrecked and abused, repaired, and had repainted. On the way home, the upper radiator hose blew, spectacularly so.

This left her quite stranded in a rather unsafe part of town, about eight miles from home. These were the days before cell phones, so she had to walk a bit, find a phone booth (remember phone booths?), and call him. He was home, having been dropped off there after his business trip.

She told him the radiator hose blew. His response was, "Yeah, the new one is in the back seat."

She told me about it, and I ate his arse out 'til he needed a Ty-Wrap to keep from crapping his pants. I asked him if he would ever replace that radiator hose a second time before selling the vehicle. He answered, "No." I then pointed out that what he did by waiting until it blew was put his daughter at risk while minimizing the net benefit that he would derive from replacing that hose.

He apologized to her and never pulled a stupid stunt like that again.

Liked
    1 times

I have to throw in my 2 cents....I have an 03 with 87K. I just changed my pump, tensioner, pulleys, timing belt, radiator hoses, etc. I bought everything from a Toyota dealer here on this forum with a 25% discount. The OEM parts cost me $400 with shipping. One bottle of coolant at the local dealer (for free from my parts buddies) and my local mechanic charged me $400 in labor to install all the parts. So, $800 and piece of mind that my truck will still be running is not a bad deal. $800 is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

My only complaint is that my mechanic threw away the OEM hose clamps. He used regular screw hose clamps. Two of the hoses I have been chasing leaks because the OEM clamps are huge. I had to double up the clamps on the hoses to get them to seal properly. It also doesn't help when you have everything changed and it's the middle of the Winter in New England, with all those parts expanding and contracting. Real tough to get them to seal properly.

zcd
    Liked
    39 times
    Images

Move to Texas, we have 2 seasons down here; Summer and Spring
    tjend likes this.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by zcd View Post
    Move to Texas, we have 2 seasons down here; Summer and Spring
    Three seasons in eastern NC: deer, turkey, and fishing.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Liked
    20 times

I have an 01 Limited TRD. At 85 K miles I had the Timming belt, water pump, Serp. Belt, and Spark Plugs replaced. My original timming belt showed very little wear. I am currently at 115 K miles. I will probably do it all again around 170 K miles for safey sake.

QUESTION>>>> Has anyone on here had a timming belt failure or know someone who has?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast