Transmission fluid change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid change

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission fluid change

I have an 06 AC and I know that I don't have to change it but if I hypothetically drained the transmission fluid, how would I go about refiling it? I looked at some directions Found on the forum with some bolt on the side but I didn't see it when I got under my truck. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Transmission fluid change

Yes it's on the right side approx. 24mm. I did mine about a month ago. You also have to take out the overflow plug which is a 5mm hex bolt on the bottom of the pan. It has a stand pipe so when the correct level is reached it flows from the stand pipe.

I used a small siphon hand pump to do mine. Kind of a pain, so I will try to get a different pump next time.
    2005 Tundra DC TRD 4WD "Silver Sky"
    Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.5 with 2" aal in the rear
    American Racing 16x9's with 285/75/16
    Firestone Destination M/T, LSD, TRD Dual Exhaust, Westin nerf bars, Linex, Toyota bug guard, Husky floor mats, Prodigy brake controller,
    window tint, debadged

2000 4-Runner SR5 4WD "Jade"
    31x10.50 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
    Stampede bug guard, Husky floor mats, brake controller, window tint

Liked
    0 times

Filled mine thru the dipstick tube, a bit slow but did not have to be under the truck.

Liked
    1 times

dipstick tube ?? well i read on pdf download from a web site i dont remember about this that the transmission fluid has to be a certain temperature when you fill it? and to know that.... well its a special toll from toyota.thats why i havent done this to my truck. anyone know if this is important? i also remember a transmission has to be a normal temperature when you check the fluid along with the car on.

Liked
    4 times

2000 to 2004 models (4-speed auto) have a dipstick tube (which is how you "normally" fill a transmission).

2005 to 2006 models (5-speed auto) has NO dipstick tube (which is a new trend in trans units). Fill is done via a fill plug on the side of the unit. A hand held pump can be bought at Advanced Auto or Autozone to pump in the fluid. The pump screws onto the fluid bottle and you pump away. A marine lower unit gear oil pump also works nicely. You fill the unit 'till fluid dribbles out. Start the unit and fill to fluid dribbles out. I don't have the specs for this unit, but the "official" instructions probably specify that the fluid level be checked when the fluid is at a certain temperature.

Stock fluid is Toyota Type T-IV. Amsoil Universal has worked fine for many of us. T-IV can be had for about $5/qt. Amsoil is about $10/qt (it's a full synthetic; T-IV is not). T-IV is Mobil JWS 3309.

Liked
    0 times

This has been discussed before on the forum. It isn't as simple as fill till it comes out the hole. Someone had posted the pdf on the how to and it's very doable, but not 1,2,3. Search and ye shall find.
    2006 Tundra Double Cab 4X4
    Spectra Blue Mica

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jason2413 View Post
    I have an 06 AC and I know that I don't have to change it but if I hypothetically drained the transmission fluid, how would I go about refiling it? I looked at some directions Found on the forum with some bolt on the side but I didn't see it when I got under my truck. Anyone know anything about this?
    If ya can't DIY just take it and haveit done but be cautious who does this because it can be messed up easilly! Very simple procedure if ya have tools and lift would be nice! PS 06 comes with WS ATF which is a Synthetic fluid and i will not touch mine till 50 or 60 K miles! This procedure can be done by Toyota with an evac machine and new WS ATF at most dealerships they just need 14 or so Qts and the machine!

Liked
    4 times

OK...see this link:

This unit is a bit different from other makes (e.g. ZF) without a dipstick tube. There is an overfill plug in the bottom of the pan which is connected to a stand tube. This tube will drain fluid to the correct level. The key here is getting the fluid temperature in the proper range, which is why the linked instructions talk about drain-off, refill, drain-off.

Not rocket science, but not as easy as the dipstick.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by shall36 View Post
    2000 to 2004 models (4-speed auto) have a dipstick tube (which is how you "normally" fill a transmission).

2005 to 2006 models (5-speed auto) has NO dipstick tube (which is a new trend in trans units). Fill is done via a fill plug on the side of the unit. A hand held pump can be bought at Advanced Auto or Autozone to pump in the fluid. The pump screws onto the fluid bottle and you pump away. A marine lower unit gear oil pump also works nicely. You fill the unit 'till fluid dribbles out. Start the unit and fill to fluid dribbles out. I don't have the specs for this unit, but the "official" instructions probably specify that the fluid level be checked when the fluid is at a certain temperature.

Stock fluid is Toyota Type T-IV. Amsoil Universal has worked fine for many of us. T-IV can be had for about $5/qt. Amsoil is about $10/qt (it's a full synthetic; T-IV is not). T-IV is Mobil JWS 3309.
    Well I have been under this truck three times today in daylight and there is no fill plug on either side of this transmission where the manual says it is but there is a very big hex head in the tail shaft section of this transmission. Could this be the fill plug. I have a 2006 Tundra SR5 2WD 6 cylinder 5 speed automatic. Can any please tell me where this fill plug is and I DO NOT have a dip stick. Thanks

Liked
    1913 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nvrpc View Post
    Well I have been under this truck three times today in daylight and there is no fill plug on either side of this transmission where the manual says it is but there is a very big hex head in the tail shaft section of this transmission. Could this be the fill plug. I have a 2006 Tundra SR5 2WD 6 cylinder 5 speed automatic. Can any please tell me where this fill plug is and I DO NOT have a dip stick. Thanks
    Hope this helps you:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/04-06-Tun...a/atf/adju.pdf
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog
    264,521 miles on the odometer [come see me when you get that on your ford]

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Highwaylizard View Post
    I thank you however there is no such fill plug in this location on my transmission on either side. The only plug I can find that ever close to this is located on the tailstock where the drive shaft plug into the transmission on the right hand passenger side. See pitures. Is this big plug on the tailstick MY fill plug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1929.jpg 
Views:	1527 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	62634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1930.jpg 
Views:	1339 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	62635  

Liked
    1913 times
    Images

I thank you however there is no such fill plug in this location on my transmission on either side. The only plug I can find that ever close to this is located on the tailstock where the drive shaft plug into the transmission on the right hand passenger side. See pitures. Is this big plug on the tailstick MY fill plug
    What year truck and what engine please?
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Highwaylizard 2004 Tundra Double Cab Limited Edition 4.7 liter V8, four speed automatic, four wheel drive, testing platform for fuel economy, self designed cold air intake using ram air principle, Scangauge, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Aero Turbine, "Foolie Exhaust" from Aero Turbine back, True Flow Intake with Amsoil drop-in dry filter, Mobile 1 in the engine, NAPA oil filter, NAPA in the differentials. 3:91 gears in the front (Thanks Cajuntundra!) and rear (Thanks Nytrousboy!) differentials, Michelin LTX M/S2 tires

Liked
    0 times

What year truck and what engine please?
    It is a 2006 Tundra extended cab 2WD 6 cylinder VVT I can give you the VIN# if that will do any good. 5TBRU34186S484305 Maybe I have some freak of nature truck that Toyota made out of parts from 2WD and 4WD parts at the years ends. Please let me know. I forgot to mention I have more information here http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/2393520028.html
    Last edited by nvrpc; 06-04-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Liked
    1913 times
    Images

It is a 2006 Tundra extended cab 2WD 6 cylinder VVT I can give you the VIN# if that will do any good. 5TBRU34186S484305 Maybe I have some freak of nature truck that Toyota made out of parts from 2WD and 4WD parts at the years ends. Please let me know. I forgot to mention I have more information here Tundra 2006 SR5 Extended Cab

That explains it.

Here:

2004 to 2006 Toyota OEM Repair Manuals

Save the file to your computer - that way if for some reason this gets taken off the net you will have it.

and for the V6:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/04-06-Tun...1grfe/comp.pdf

Still trying to track down a diagram which shows the filler bolt
    Tundra Fuel Economy Blog

Liked
    0 times

That explains it.

Here:

2004 to 2006 Toyota OEM Repair Manuals

Save the file to your computer - that way if for some reason this gets taken off the net you will have it.

and for the V6:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/04-06-Tun...1grfe/comp.pdf

Still trying to track down a diagram which shows the filler bolt
    It still does not show the fill plug anywhere in the graphics. Thanks. I'll keep looking around for more information on the 1GR-FE transmission

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast