Bought an OBD2 Scanner

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought an OBD2 Scanner

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Bought an OBD2 Scanner

My check engine light came on last week on my way to an appointment. I have a 2000 Tundra V8 4WD with 137,000 miles on it. So that night after work I stopped at Walmart and bought a OBD2 Scanner for $104 with tax. I got home and hooked it up and found it was an O2 Sensor. The one behind the cat on the right side. So I got on line to find on and everyone priced the one on the left side because they didn't bother to read it on the screen which on was which since the truck has 4 of them. I finally found it at OReilly's for $ 111 with tax. I sprayed the stud with PB Blaster penetrating oil and let it set for about 20 minutes. The top nut came off pretty easy but the bottom nut I had to drive a 11mm socket on the nut to get it off because where the nut rust the 12mm socket was too big. I changed the sensor out put some anti seize on the studs and two new nuts. I then cleared the codes out and drove it around the block until the engine was good and warmed up and the codes didn't come back on. For about $215 dollars I (hopefully) fixed my truck and the next time the check engine light comes on I will be able to fix my truck cheaper than taking it to the dealer. Here is the website for the OBD2 Scanner model 3100C . If anyone wants to look at it. It's priced higher on the site than what I payed for it and it can be hooked up to my computer for updates. C A N O B D 2 . C O M Hope I wasn't to long winded on my first post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Bought an OBD2 Scanner

Scanners are great but you should have looked into the Scangauge. It reads codes but also does alot more. Very worth the price of 140.
    Metal flake green on D's.............

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I've found the Scanguage II for 159.00, where did you find it for 140.00?
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    0 times

It was during christmas they were running a sale. Still for the 160 price tag its worth the money. I just moved mine into my wifes CRV to do some experimenting with fuel and such. Its a great tool.
    Metal flake green on D's.............

Liked
    3 times

yeah, the scanguage II is great for its tuning capabilities and live data streaming. The only trade off is that for a $160 (shipping was free and tech support is excellent-Made in the USA)scan tool it doesn't give mfr. specific codes as far as I can see. But yu have to get a $300 plus scan tool to do that. The scanguage II is small and sits nicely velcroed to my steeing column. It is very accurate. I recommend it to alot of people. One look at it in my car has sold at least 3-4 to my friends.

But the ScanguageII is unique/small and is a necessary tool nontheless along with my expensive AutoTap laptop scantool.

LT

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    It was during christmas they were running a sale.
    And you didn't get me one too! Boy, now I know where I stand...
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    34 times
    Images

OBD scanners are good to have. I have the Auto Xray 6000 and love it.

Liked
    2 times

cant beat having a scanner .. i have a snap-on modis .. it is the best scan tool on the market other then a dealer scanner ..but i paid alot more then $160 for it ($7000:cry

jv
    Liked
    15 times
    Images

Just wanted to weigh in on a code reader solution I got that seems to work great on my 2004 Tundra and also on my wife's 2006 BMW X3. It's a Bluetooth OBDII connector that you pair up to and Android powered smart phone. Here is a little write up/review I did for it and for the Torque Pro app, hope it helps some folks, reading these codes and being able to get information from your ECU is awesome! It's a bit more complicated than an all in one scanner (connecting a phone via bluetooth) but the app gives a bunch of different and customizable readouts that are nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elm327thumb2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	92873
    ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader and Torque Android App Review

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i know a web OBD2 Diagnostics Appareils-Fabricant global d'outil de diagnostic automobile
    there are some good and cheap obd2 tools there

Liked
    31 times

Quote Originally Posted by jv View Post
    Just wanted to weigh in on a code reader solution I got that seems to work great on my 2004 Tundra and also on my wife's 2006 BMW X3. It's a Bluetooth OBDII connector that you pair up to and Android powered smart phone. Here is a little write up/review I did for it and for the Torque Pro app, hope it helps some folks, reading these codes and being able to get information from your ECU is awesome! It's a bit more complicated than an all in one scanner (connecting a phone via bluetooth) but the app gives a bunch of different and customizable readouts that are nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elm327thumb2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	92873
    ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII Reader and Torque Android App Review
    I ordered this very item 4 days ago and it should arrive today. A co-worker has similar and he really likes it. While I use an iphone, my mom is sending me her old android phone in the mail and I'll put torque on it.

I would have preferred a hardwire cable, actually, as wireless adds an unneeded layer of complexity, but for the price this is hard to beat. the dongle is under $30 shipped and the app is just a few dollars.

There are a few horror stories of fried BT dongles taking the ECU out, so I avoided the $8 models....

M

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

i know a web chinasinoy.com which is a good web for obd2
    and i think it can help you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.