"Signs" of bad ball joints... any 2000-02 models have the issue? warning signs? - Page 3

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Signs" of bad ball joints... any 2000-02 models have the issue? warning signs?

Liked
    350 times
    Images

Default Re: "Signs" of bad ball joints... any 2000-02 models have the issue? warning signs?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Speed View Post
    Has anyone done a step by step to change out the ball joints on our tundra? They are 72 bucks a piece and I don't think they would be that difficult. Changed my timing belt on the V-6 with no problem, just haven't changed a ball joint before. I think I will just change mine out if they don't cost a ton. Anyone changed one themselves?
    Hey 5 Speed,
    The SSC (Special Service Campaign) for the ball joint recall, the copy that the dealer gets, has the instructions for replacing the lower ball joint in moderate detail. I might have a copy on my thumb drive with all my other TSBs and stuff. (can't use them at work anymore though):dry:
    But this SSC letter would be for Tundra models like mine, '05 and around that.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Default Re: "Signs" of bad ball joints... any 2000-02 models have the issue? warning signs?

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Speed View Post
    Has anyone done a step by step to change out the ball joints on our tundra? They are 72 bucks a piece and I don't think they would be that difficult. Changed my timing belt on the V-6 with no problem, just haven't changed a ball joint before. I think I will just change mine out if they don't cost a ton. Anyone changed one themselves?
    they are very easy to change. You need 14mm socket, 19mm socket, pliers or flat screwdrivers, and heavy hammer. secure your truck/suv with jack stands. take wheel off. loosen 4-14m bolts, and loosen 1-19mm nut (on very bottom of suspension.) Then use your heavy hammer to hit on a side of connection, untill lower bolt joint becomes loose. remove nut, and move your suspension away, and unbolt 4-14mm bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image034.jpg 
Views:	3351 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	31277  
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    41 times
    Images

So when one buys the balljoint, they just have to put it in and tighten the nuts & bolts. Is there any pressing or special assembly or basically just a swap. I may need to do mine for preventive measures, currently at 155k.
    '00 tundra
    '06 sequoia
    '98 forester

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ricqik View Post
    So when one buys the balljoint, they just have to put it in and tighten the nuts & bolts. Is there any pressing or special assembly or basically just a swap. I may need to do mine for preventive measures, currently at 155k.
    just a swap, no special tools required.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    640 times
    Images

It's actually easier if you use a press tool, and much less damaging than a hammer.

Checker has a semi-adjustable piece, I think by the manufacturer "OEM", it's in a red case...it fits perfectly around the lower arm and over the stud of the lower ball joint. Took all of a couple minutes to set it up and pop it out with a breaker bar.

Just make sure you use RED loctite (permanent) on the four bolts securing the knuckle to the spindle, and set them to the correct torque. Otherwise they'll work loose, shear off, and you will crash.

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    97 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundradrenalin View Post
    Hey 5 Speed,
    The SSC (Special Service Campaign) for the ball joint recall, the copy that the dealer gets, has the instructions for replacing the lower ball joint in moderate detail. I might have a copy on my thumb drive with all my other TSBs and stuff. (can't use them at work anymore though):dry:
    But this SSC letter would be for Tundra models like mine, '05 and around that.
    I would love to see the ssc. I would bet the replacement part is the same. I have to order some stuff and would put these on. Does the ssc have the torque settings? I think it would make me sleep better since I have had a 4 wheel camper on the back for the past 4 years.

Liked
    97 times
    Images

[QUOTE=Tundradrenalin;996936]Hey 5 Speed,
    Thanks a million for the ssc on the front lower ball joint, now here is my big question. If you price the individual ball joints they are about 72 bucks a piece from "Toyota Parts" - OnlineToyota Parts and Accessories. I have purchased from them since my tundra was new and their service and prices are great. If I put in the ssc part to order it is 199 dollars? What is in the kit that makes it 60 dollars more? Do you think the ball joints are different? This is the old ones vs. the new ones? Can't believe they would sell the old ones, I don't think a few cotter pins, and bolts could make the cost that much more? Maybe dust seals? Since it is a universal kit different for Sequoia? Has anyone seen the kit and what is inside? Thanks

Liked
    0 times

Recalls Summary

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    TOYOTA / 4 RUNNER 2001-2002

TOYOTA / SEQUOIA 2002-2004

TOYOTA / TACOMA 2001-2004

TOYOTA / TUNDRA 2002-2004

Recall Number: 05V225000
    Summary:
    ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING ISSUE IN THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINT, THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT THE SURFACE OF THE BALL OF THE JOINT MAY HAVE BEEN SCRATCHED. THE BALL JOINT MAY EVENTUALLY EXPERIENCE EXCESSIVE WEAR AND LOOSENESS, RESULTING IN INCREASED STEERING EFFORT.
    Consequence:
    THE LOWER BALL JOINT MAY SEPARATE FROM THE KNUCKLE CAUSING LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 5, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
    Notes:
    TOYOTA RECALL NO. 50J. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

So, 2001 Tundras are not included?

Liked
    97 times
    Images

The 2000 and the 2001 are not part of the recall, but I want to do the replacement so I don't have to think about it. Priced the joints and they are about 72 bucks each plus a few hours and I think we can sleep a lot easier, just trying to figure out what joints to replace them with.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Here is what happened to my 2001 Tundra this morning while driving the kids to school. I was not on the highway or high speeds, thank goodness.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck.jpeg 
Views:	5784 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	45843  

Veteran Member
    Liked
    48 times
    Images

Were there any symptoms prior to this event? Any heads-up that something was wrong?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

No, none. My mechanic asked me if I heard a noise or anything and I had not.

Liked
    2 times

How many miles on it?

I have a 2006....... 18,000 miles. I have not yet done the recall.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Mine is around 180,000 miles.

Liked
    350 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by miadlor View Post
    How many miles on it?

I have a 2006....... 18,000 miles. I have not yet done the recall.
    Compare your VIN with those in the SSC (Special Service Campaign) and see if yours is affected.

Here's the official letter: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...recall-70b.pdf
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast