Antifreeze change??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antifreeze change??

Liked
    0 times

Default Antifreeze change??

Any recomendations on when to change the anti freeze in my 02 tundra?
    How about the best brand to use.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Antifreeze change??

i wrote a response to this and noticed it wasnt helpful because i dont know what kind of brand my shop uses it just comes out of the ceiling :-/ sorry

Liked
    0 times

TOYOTA RED is the best you can get
    03 Tundra v8 4wd
    JBA headers, exhaust and y-pipe, cold air intake, upgraded sloted cross drilled rotors, upgraded off road sealed starter from trd, 265/70 bfg a/t, optima red top and more comming soon

Liked
    20 times
    Images

First of all you should never mix antifreeze types i.e. the red Toyota type, typical green antifreeze or the orange GM Dex cool. Intermixing can cause reactions in some cases
    ( not talking explosions here, but possibilites of gelling, reduced corrosion resistance, or other properties ). Unless you are able to fully flush out a system, residues can remain. I have always found the OE stuff just as cheap as a good aftermarket brand. I change mine at around 50,000, do a complete drain, ( use side of block fitting, bottom of rad drain with rad cap off ) refill with water, run the engine until hot, shut off and let cool 20 min. then fully drain water and put antifreeze mix in. The water does a good enough flush, unless you notice alot of corrosion in the core as seen from the rad cap area ( I never have in 200,000, which is another reason I stick with the OE stuff, works good for me. ) Always remember to burp the system on the final fill, turn heater controls to hot, leave the cap off while you run the engine, you will see the antifreeze flow when the themostat opens. Running it this way for 10 minutes will burp most of the air from the system. Any residual air will slowly come out over the next few days, just watch and keep your resevoir filled properly. (note: during the burping, you will need to keep the level almost full so the engine temp sensor will be covered and read properly as this controls your fast idle. TIP: Pressing a funnel into the filler neck will keep the level full while not leaking all over the place, gives room for expansion while the air bubbels out, some parts stores sell a special funnel for this.)

Liked
    7 times

Its time to change. The original red coolant was due every 2-3 years. IIRC, the pink is every 5 years. The pink is more expensive because it is prediluted so you would have to buy about 3 gallons. As you can tell, I like the OE coolant. I have been using the red. The japanese don't like the silicates in their vehicles, so if you were to go aftermarket, a good HOAT coolant like Zerex G-05 is a good low silicate formula. Avoid the Dexcool and clones.

Liked
    8 times

Yup just go down to your local dealership and pick up a couple of gallons of Toyota Red and then buy a couple of gallons of distilled water. Drain the radiator petcock and both engine petcocks on either side of the block. Fill with a good 50/50 mix and like said above check the radiator a few minutes after running the engine and days after to burp all the air. Do this though when things have cooled off though!

I'm doing this flush myself on Saturday and I am also replacing the thermostat too for good measure. I do this every two years to keep the coolant and anti-corrosion properties at peak. Toyota Red is $13 a gallon here though but oh well for a two year cycle it's well worth it.
    Spintech 3332XL Muffler | Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar | Updated 2005 Tail Lights | Updated 2003 Alloy Wheels | AMSOIL OAF-15 Oil Filter | Ultra-Strong Oil Filter Magnet | Synthetic Fluids all around | Line-X Bedliner | Osram Silverstars | Michelin LTX M/S tires | Custom Grille w/updated Body Panels | De-Badged | Optima Spiral Cell Gel Battery

Liked
    0 times

They have red ready mix at the dealer. The red should last 5 years. On my 2003 I drained the radiator only and refilled it around 45K-50K. When you change your timing belt than drain all of it out and you are good for another 4-5 years.
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Liked
    1 times

I removed the thermostat, and flushed the whole system, used advance auto parts house brand, which is the same stuff Prestone, rated for 150k mile 5 years, problem is it's not red but Yellow, I'm OK with it.

Liked
    4 times

The Toyota stuff is compatible with your Prestone and similar ethyl glycol. You do not want to mix with the DexCool, which is an ACDelco product designed as a 5yr/100,000 mile product (it's not very good).

Drain and fill using 50/50 coolant and distilled water. I do mine every two years. Overkill perhaps, but it's cheap and easy maintenance.

Liked
    0 times

$26/gallon for red at my local dealer! That sounds crazy...can anyone suggest something cheaper? I'm at 12075 zip. Thanks!
    2001 Tundra A/C 4x4 SR5

Liked
    0 times

$26 for the concentrated A/F, you only need 2 gallons of that stuff and 2 more gallons of distilled water.

The Toyota dealer in Kingston (Prestige) is less expensive than other dealers around, for example they sell tranny fluid for $5.99, everyone else sells them $8+
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Liked
    6 times
    Images

For you guys who are doing the change yourselves, where do you dispose of the old coolant?
    2001 SR5 Access Cab 4.7V8 4x4
    OEM: FJ Rims; bed-liner; alarm; running boards; all-weather mats; door sill protectors; 13WL brake caliper upgrade; refurbed power steering rack
    TRD: TRD coils; color-keyed mirror covers, embroidered signature mats; Bilstein shocks
    OTHER: Bridgestone A/T Revos; NGK Iridium IX spark plugs; Skid Row front skid plate; Fumoto drain valve; Vibrant resonator; Magnaflow exhaust tip; Form-Fit deflector; Brembo rotors; Trfytoy window latches; Undercover tonneau; Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover; Hidden Hitch; Cobra 21LTD CB radio; K40 magmount CB antenna; Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender flares; Dorman polyurethane steering rack bushings; Moog outer tie rods; Moog sway bar links; Weathertech mats
    PENDING: TRD Kazuma LSD; Hellwig rear sway bar

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

Toyota Red (which I use) is good for 30K miles.
    Toyota Pink is good for 90K miles.

Liked
    5 times

Zerex Asian at Napa and various autoparts stores is what I recommend. Its equivalent to Toyota Pink. Its already 50:50 and $12 a gallon.
    Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex® Asian Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant

Another equivalent one, available 50:50 and full strength is Peak Global:
    PEAK Global LifeTime

Don't use any flush chemicals or water-only shenanigans as you'll never get the final ratio correct. And, water will leave behind all its impurities. Simply drain/refill the radiator and overflow bottle and repeat every 1-2yrs or 15k-30k, regardless of the overly optimistic bottle or manual recommendations.

I haven't found that the Pink coolant lasts for 90k. Toyota pink is excellent but no way is it good for 90k. And, the number of failed water pumps that I've seen with 70k-100k miles is all the proof that I need.

If mixing your own coolant, always use distilled or deionized water.
    Pink one brand of antifreeze and stick with it. Don't jump around to the latest internet coolant fad.

The only issue I have with Toyota Pink(premixed) and Red(full strength) is the dealer mark up.

The reason that the Red full strength has an earlier maintenance schedule than Pink is that automaker has to assume that schmucks will use tap or well water when mixing the red to spec.

Call your state/town environment or waste management. They should be able to give you a antifreeze recycle list. Some people simply evaporate it. Check with independent garages/shops as they might have a recycling tank.
    Last edited by deadrx7conv; 10-30-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: broken link fix

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    887 times
    Images

I'd be very careful about removing the engine block drain plugs. Your from New Jersey and if you haven't done it regularly, I'd avoid that route altogether. Mine froze to the block due to the dissimilar metals when I tried to drain it at 60K. Broke one off, but luckily, it didn't budge the thread or leak. Very expensive to replace.

Maybe, I just had a defective fitting, but I would't want to go through it again. Most of the shops in my area don't even touch the engine block drain plugs.
    Last edited by jack mccarthy; 09-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.