Help water leaking under glove compartment

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help water leaking under glove compartment

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Help water leaking under glove compartment

I just bought an 06 DC. Got it washed and water was coming out under the glove compartment. Any one seen this before?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    24 times

Default Re: Help water leaking under glove compartment

Never heard about this happening in anything but the 2000's...which I have and I had the same issue.

Take it in to the dealer, should be covered under warranty still. I think there was a tsb, basically the fresh air intake lets the water seap in and then runs through the fan, which is under the glove box.

Liked
    163 times
    Images

mine does this, only because i caused it. i threw my phone one day and hit the black plastic cover that houses the a/c under the dash and cracked it, so when i have my air on it constantly drips cold water on the passenger floorboard and on the passengers feet.
    New Truck Build Thread 2006 Double Cab
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...dra-build-2-a/

New Build Thread 2002 Tundra-Tundra Revamp

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...tundra-revamp/

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Happens in my 05, but only after a REALLY heavy rain or going through the touch-less car wash. Have not taken it to the dealer yet, will in the spring after I'm 21 so I can get a loaner car. It's really hard to be carless with work/school and all. I'm not too worried because it only drips into my all weather mats, the carpet is never wet.

Liked
    4 times

The nature of A/C is to generate condensation as cabin or outside air is cooled and dehumidified in the process. There is a drain that goes through the firewall to let the water run out. Assuming the box isn't cracked AND the gasket on the blower motor (which is located on the bottom of the box) is good, the drain may be plugged with debris (leaves, acorns, etc.) and causes the condensation to build up and drip out of the box at various seams. So, look on the firewall on the passenger side towards the bottom of the firewall...you will see a black rubber grommet/tube. Try sticking something in the tube to find out if it is plugged-up. You might squeeze the tube to see if it's plugged up. You could even remove the tube, clean it out, and put it back in.

Life Member
    Liked
    0 times

My 2002 does this during a heavy rain. I found that it is due to a poor installation of my replacement windsheild. I suggest that you check the black plastic and rubber gasket at the bottom of the windshield just before the hood. You may find it is not snug against the windshield, allowing water to seep into the cab.

... I haven't fixed mine yet...
    Snowplowing with a Tundra

Adversity is an opportunity for heroism

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I took it to the dealer. They said that the seal was bad around the windshield. They resealed it. That didn't work. It is now in having the windshied removed and reinstalled. Let's hope it works. Thanks for the input.

ab
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remerson View Post
    My 2002 does this during a heavy rain. I found that it is due to a poor installation of my replacement windsheild. I suggest that you check the black plastic and rubber gasket at the bottom of the windshield just before the hood. You may find it is not snug against the windshield, allowing water to seep into the cab.

... I haven't fixed mine yet...
    The problem likely is the clip gasket that holds the black trim piece on at the bottom of the windshield. If you remove this trim piece the gasket may crack which allows water to drip straight down into the blower motor and passenger floor. I siliconed up the clip on my 00AC and no more leaks. All started because I remover the black trim piece to clean it!
    [SIZE="1"]00 TUNDRA V8 AC LTD / 03 SEQ LTD / 05 TUNDRA V6 Longbed (2) / 06 TUNDRA DC / 07 TACO DC / 93 Mr2 Turbo / 87 MR2

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have also had the same problem with my passenger side floorboard getting wet after a rain. I believe I have solved the mystery. I removed my windshield wipers and 8 small screws to gain access to underneath the black plastic cover near the bottom of the windshield. Under the black cover you will find 8 white plastic grommet things that the 8 screws screwed into. These white plastic grommets have a black gasket underneath then all. Most, if not all, had disintegrated. The last 2 near the passenger fender are directly over a hole in the firewall over the a/c blower motor. I took all the grommets out and placed a layer of rtv gasket on each to make a seal where the original seal failed. I have not had a problem since. Hope this helps

Roaddog
    Last edited by ROADDOG21; 01-08-2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: fixed minor spelling errors

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Roaddog is absolutely correct. It is NOT the windshield seal. I sealed my leak by simply removing the screws at the base of the windshield and then dabbing the screw holes with silicone gasket sealer. Replace the screws and you are done. No more puddles under passenger dash.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

One year later...

A heavy rain leak has again developed. I suspect that Roaddog21's solution may be more comprehensive. I'll check things out as soon as the weather breaks.
    Imagination is more vivid than reality.

Earl

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ejsharp, I tried just removing the screws that held the black plastic panel on under the windshield wipers without success just as you had done. Further reasearch revealed there are white grommet looking things (SCIENTIFIC TERM) that are mounted to the body under this panel. The body under this panel appears to be shaped like a trough to direct rain water away. The black gasket material had fallen apart that allowed water to leak in onto the floorboard via the a/c motor. I cleaned off the old gasket material and put RTV in the place of the original gasket. Over a year has past and mine hasnt leaked a drop. If you need a picture, Ill try to get one to better explain.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thanks RH21... It's now raining... I'll go check things out.

Imagination is more vivid than reality.

Earl

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thought I would add that we have the same problem on our 2004 Access Cab. Seems to happen with a steady rain, not a shower. I will try removing the black plastic cowel grill and reseal the screws. I'll also check for clogged drain holes.

What is going on with Toyota quality? This is our third since 1988. None of the built in Japan vehicles had these kinds of problems. We also had to have our oil pan resealed. Fortunately saved $900+ with extended warranty.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Check the Wire Grommets Behind the Heater box in the firewall

Seal up with Sealer if ther relaxed !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast