Change dash light color

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Change dash light color

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Change dash light color

Well, I got the idea after driving a chevy that we rented while our other vehicle is repaired (deer damage)

All the dash lights are pure white, I think the white color adds a lot to the interior. I tried a few bulbs in the center console (same bulb type as my LED dome light bulbs.) Looked great in the tundra. Just have a couple questions.

Are the bulbs behind the combination meter all replaceable bulbs, I know in 05 they changed them all to LED, but are they easily replaceable?

Is there any way to change the color of the clock and temp readings to white? they are fluorescent displays.

Anyone ever change the LED's in the front of the navigation unit? I know they are SMALL surface mounted LED's.

If I can't change EVERYTHING to white, I'm not going to do it at all. I'll just replace all the incandescent bulbs with green LED's. They are a whole lot brighter and a deeper green.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Default Re: Change dash light color

well, as far as speedo, you can buy from a limited luxary package sequoia, they have white speedo (since you can't replace bulbs in the speedo)
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Well been researching it. This might be my winter hobby The links provided talk about a Tacoma, but it's the same general idea. The hardest parts will be the navigation unit buttons and the steering wheel controls. Talk about SMALL LED's!!

Here are some links to those interested.

Who said the clock couldn't be converted? - Page 3 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Orange + Red?? Yuck!! (How to change gauge colors) - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

*DIY* Stock Stereo LED color change - (Lots of PICS) - 56k no way - Page 4 - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I Don't think the sequoia meter would fit the Tundra. Does anyone have a picture of the entire dash with the luxury package? Is all the illumination (radio, dash) white, or just the combination meter?

Need some opinions here. I might have trouble changing the clock and compass to white. Do you guys think it would be weird to have all the dash illumination white, then green compass and clock?

Ok, finally had the guts to go ahead and do it! I think it looks great, I just need to take it out again and maybe put a board of LED's to even the light out.

BTW, in the 05-06 tundra the gauge face is colored green, all the LED's behind the panel are white (I still replaced them with brighter and whiter LED's though). So I had to get a dremel and carefully sand the green film away from the numbers. All the indicator lights are colored LED's, I left them alone except for the 4wd indicators, I changed those to amber. My turn signals and cruise control are still green, thinking about changing those to white, blue, or amber. Here are some pictures! (Actually pictures will be up soon, slow internet connection to upload to photobucket!)
    Last edited by dibble9012; 12-02-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Here are the pictures

Shows green film on back

normal looking front

started to sand off the film with the dremel

side gauges complete

side gauges compared to center gauges held up to light

center gauges complete

installed! It's brighter in person but not completely even. I need to install an LED board/array or figure out another way to diffuse the light better.
    Last edited by dibble9012; 12-02-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

hey..can you repost all of these pics for me..i'm curious to see this mod..i was in the middle of doing a LED replacement on an 05 double cab for my buddy and i totally didn't know that they were stock LED's back their already!!!!!!!

he wants the HID white color (6000k) on his gauges not that crappy green...I did all his interior lights in LED and his A/C panel as well...

i'm trying to convince him to ship his gauges to you to take care of this for him..i saw over at toyotanation your willing to do this sort of thing?? PM me and we can swap emails or something..
    Last edited by Agent 409; 09-19-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Liked
    333 times
    Images

I did mine last weekend. Sanded off certain portions of green to allow the oem white leds to shine through. I used a flashlight to test the sanded areas as I went along.

I like the finished product, looks like the GX470 dash. My next step is to apply some scrap window tint to the km/h areas behind the cluster. I don't need them, and they're just too bright now, so why not make them a little darker.

Pics attached! roud:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white dash lights 1.jpg 
Views:	3533 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	43808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	white dash lights 2.jpg 
Views:	2326 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	43809  
    Last edited by Tundradrenalin; 07-19-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Just buy tinted plastic off sequoia (mine is tinted from a factory), then your speedo is not going to be too bright
    Last edited by Crazy Ivan; 07-19-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

It is interesting they chose white LEDs behind green filters, as this usually results in some light lost due to the mismatch. Generally for best light transmission you want the filter to be the same color as the LED. It is true, however, that the bulk of efficiency R&D has gone almost exclusively into white LEDs as opposed to any other color.

Liked
    333 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tinik View Post
    Just buy tinted plastic off sequoia (mine is tinted from a factory), then your speedo is not going to be too bright
    huh? I saw your speedo pics. But I'm lost. Tinted plastic off sequoia?

Link to Amsoil -->

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Yes, its tinted from factory (just like most of the lexus and MB have). Its almost dark/light enough, to see speedo during day.

Liked
    333 times
    Images

Default UPDATE: Change dash light color

I wasn't satisfied with the outcome, so I went back in for more.

I've attached some pics of the back of the combination meter gauge faces for others to see what this mod entails. It's suuuuper easy.

Ok, so I wasn't happy with the brightness of the km/h portion of the speedo gauge and said I was going to cover it with some window tint scrap. Lucky me, I procured some scrap today and dove in. I cut a circle just big enough to cover the km/h portion, tested it out with a flashlight (in a pic below), and then 3M adhesive sprayed along the edges that aren't exposed to light. Bonded the gauge panel backing with the tint and reassembled. Waited for dusk and tested it out.

Purrrfekt!

The last pic shows the darkness of the km/h area. Hard to see from the iPhone camera, but you get the idea comparing it to the pics in my previous post. All pics are with the illumination intensity on the highest setting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg 
Views:	1487 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	43880   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	903 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	43881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	835 
Size:	210.0 KB 
ID:	43882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg 
Views:	888 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	43883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	43884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg 
Views:	1470 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	43885  
    zoom&tank likes this.

Link to Amsoil -->

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Everything is almost perfect, the only thing I see that needs to be changed = ODO to white light. When you do that, it will be 100% complete
    Last edited by Crazy Ivan; 07-22-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I just finished my change also, I sent out my stock radio to the garage1217 guy to change the LED's in that.

2006 SR5 Phantom Grey Access Cab 4WD - Color-Matched Wheels - Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/R17 - Dual Magnaflow Exhaust - ScanGauge-II - Custom "Satoshi" Style Grille

Liked
    0 times

Looks great, I'm inspired to try this on my truck now. What is the best way to make sure the needles are set correctly? Also how did you sand it (what grit, wet/dry etc)

Thanks
    JP

---2006 Tundra DC X-SP 4x4---
    Green, Leather, Magnaflow Exhaust, BBS Wheels, Tonneau Bed Cover, Bed Extender, Pioneer D3 navigation, Sirius Radio, Gentex Homelink Mirror.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast