1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Type Coolant?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default What Type Coolant?

I'm driving a 2005 Tundra DC and noticed the other day that the coolant level in the overflow tank is a little low. What type of coolant does it call for? Am I stuck with buying Toyota factory anti-freeze?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Re: What Type Coolant?

I would stick with the Toyota red that it comes with.Certain others don't mix well from what I've read.
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Liked
    3 times

Your owners manual says to use Toyota Super Long Life (Pink) Coolant. It comes in 1 gallon jugs with a MSRP of about $22. Some dealers charge more, others less. It's a unique formulation you can't find in any auto parts store brand of antifreeze.

Funny how 95% of Toyota owners eagerly spend big bucks on synthetic oils and synthetic media filters, but they cringe at the thought of spending an extra ten bucks for Toyota brand antifreeze. These owners have their automotive priorities screwed up: they don't realize cooling system troubles related to aftermarket antifreeze use is the #1 cause of premature Toyota engine death whereas owner failure to use synthetic lubes and filters never caused any Toyota engine to die prematurely.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Sorry the red was the old Toyota color.Just check mine pink is correct.Like Kathyricks said the extra you spend on is pennies for how often it needs to be changed.Think its good for 5 years or somewhere around there.
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I don't have a problem with buying the coolant from Toyota if there is a compatibility problem with other types of coolant.
    It's just more convenient to get automotive fluids from the parts store down the street.
    I didn't realize that Toyota had a unique formulation and use of another product would lead to engine problems. That's why I ask. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.