idler pulley tensioner

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: idler pulley tensioner

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default idler pulley tensioner

I just tried replacing my 2003 Tundra serpentine belt. When I loosened the tensioner nothing happened. It didnt drop down like it should have. Will I need to replace the tensioner or can I force the original down enough to install the new belt?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Default Re: idler pulley tensioner

Sounds like you need to replace it. If it won't move down, it won't be able to do it's job of keeping tension on the new belt. Are you sure you are on the tensioner?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by single; 12-29-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    3 times

I hope this is related....had the timing belt replaced and now have a belt squeak which I assume is the serpentine. Does it need to be tightend or loosened? Thanks.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Scott9239 View Post
    ...When I loosened the tensioner nothing happened....

Did you pull the wrench counterclockwise? The movement is slight and, if I recall correctly, the pully sort of squats downward rather than swinging like its on the end of a pendulum.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It is on reverse thread. If you pulled it the "normal" way you would have loosened the bolt holding the tension spring. This would cause it loose its tension.
    2000 Tundra Access Cab
    Survived 5 tropical storms and 5 hurricanes
    Survived a baseball sized hail storm
    Hosted numerous tailgate parties
    Water balloon refilling depot
    Served as a portable pool

"I remember a Senator once asked me 'when we talk about CIA why we never use the word the in front of it.' And I asked him 'do you put the word the in front of God?'"
    -Richard Hayes, The Good Shepherd

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the pic. This is the bolt/pulley I loosened but nothing moved. I removed the the pulley completely and I can see where the tensioner is in its highest position. I tried to force it down but it seems to spring back to the upper most 'stop'. Is there a spring inside? This 15 min job has turned into much more.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

If you removed the pulley (and not the whole tensioner assembly), then you had to turn the bolt clockwise.

Based on your description, the tensioner appears to be in working order. So all you got to do is put the pulley back on. When you tighten the bolt, the pulley should squat downward, giving you enough room to install the serpentine belt. Even if the tensioner is in perfect working order, you still need to jiggle and wiggle the belt into place. The final install step should be to slide the "slick" side of the belt up over the slick pulley behind the fan.

You need to make sure that the bolt through the pulley is good and tight. Otherwise, it will work loose, screw up your new belt, and put you back to square one.

Like you said, this is a 15-minute fix.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that as soon as the rain stops.

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I've decided to tackle this project today. I read up on it, got the tensioner tool from autozone, got the right belt (more or less). Either way, when i get the tensioner tool onto the nut that sticks out from the tensioner pulley, I can't get the tensioner to budge. I've got a habit of forcing things and breaking them, so maybe i'm just being too cautious. It appears that i need a 14mm wrench/socket to turn the tensioner. I've got the 2' handle and all that good stuff.
    Am i going to break this thing?
    any help is much appreciated. in the mean time, i guess i'll just keep looking at it until i'm struck by lightning. pff.
    Oh, i guess i should include that i did look at the 'remo.pdf', and i'm working on the tensioner. I've changed out a the belt in a jeep grand cherokee before, and it was a very similar setup. I'm using a chilton's guide (or maybe it's haynes.)
    thanks so much for the help.
    Last edited by marcus.md; 07-12-2008 at 12:32 PM.

2003 Tundra SR5 ExtraCab
    4.7L V8 4x4
    TRD supercharger

Liked
    5 times
    Images

page 2 and 3 explains operation and sounds like it is bad? check pdf ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

This is a copy of a post that i made under a different thread:
    Ok, so I finally got my serpentine belt changed out. I do want to clarify something- my supercharger came WITH my tundra- so i have no experience with the install or the supplied parts.

After changing out 2 different belts and then putting the oem back on (last weekend), I finally got it done THIS weekend. What worked best for me was that I ordered the part from my local dealership- and it was the same price as the gatorback and the gates that I had tried before. It's a 2700mm.
    The part #:
    PTR30-34046
    description: TRD Belt SC 47 04 TU

I ordered it on tuesday afternoon, and it was ready for pickup on thursday. It IS still a snug fit. But even with my limited car repair experience, I was able to remove the old oem, and get this one on by myself.

I hope this info is helpful.

Marcus

2003 Tundra SR5 ExtraCab
    4.7L V8 4x4
    TRD supercharger

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    640 times
    Images

Yes, it is a 14mm bolt and you need to pull counterclockwise on the pulley bolt to move the pulley out of the way. You need no other tools. Unless the tensioner is really, really easy to move, it should be fine. It's a replacement item at 90k miles along with the rest of the stuff at the front of the engine and honestly it can probably go significantly longer.

You shouldn't need to touch anything else on the truck...it's about a 15-20 minute job. I do find it's easier to move one of the hoses out of the way, 10mm socket removes the bolt holding it in place behind the fan shroud.

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

my idler pulley bolt is loose. the one you use to release tension. did i strip the threads? what to do