Tensioner pulley replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tensioner pulley replacement

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tensioner pulley replacement

I am new to the forum. I have read a ton of great information so far. I bought my Tundra new in Dec '06. I love the vehicle but it's been in the shop five times so far. Once for the ball joints and four times for the belt/tensioner pulley. The dealership has replaced the belt tensioner pulley 4 times on warranty. Each time they say that they have an updated TSB for the fix. The truck was just back in the shop in December for a new pulley/belt and the noise is starting all over again.

Are they ever going to get this straightened out? I worry that this will continue after the wararty is over and I am stuck with an extremely noisey belt/pulley. Does this fall under the lemon law?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Tensioner pulley replacement

hey man sorry to hear about your troubles. i had the TSB done for my truck about a month ago. two days after replacing the parts the belt started sqeaking again. when i went back to the dealer they told me that they swaped out the belt and the noise stopped. they said the belt looked glazed over. My response was, what was wrong with the brand new belt you supposedly put on? their response, well some times the belts can sit on the shelf for a long time, blah blah blah, but nevertheless i havent noticed any sqeeking since then. its been fine.

i hear ya about the concern. everytime i go into the dealership, they are extremely attentative to the mileage. once that warranty is gone, it becomes our problem.

Liked
    0 times

Maybe you should just go to another dealer. I used to go to this dealer that always gave me problems. So one day I said enough is enough and started going to another toyota dealer and luckily I had been at this new dealer for 6 months before my tensioner had to be replaced. I was skeptical at first with this new dealer but everything went smooth and am very glad I switched.

Liked
    0 times

It might be worth the $30 to buy yourself a goodyear gatorback belt. put one on my truck and after a year no signs of glazing.

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by opto View Post
    It might be worth the $30 to buy yourself a goodyear gatorback belt. put one on my truck and after a year no signs of glazing.

I'm doing that again My Gatorback on my first 2000 Tundra when i got that replaced made a huge diff on sound and It didn't make a noise. Right now I was advised to replace mine on my 2004 from my Dealership yet the work will be done from my friend and replaced again with another gatorback
    Last edited by Tundrav8yamaha; 01-04-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Liked
    3 times

The correct answer is.....Goodyear Gatorback belt.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just bought my 4.7 liter 2004 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4X4 used a few months back with 43K on the engine. Everything seemed just dandy for about 1500 miles...then I heard the dreaded *chirp, chirp, chirp*. Of course, the 30-day service obligation from the lot I bought it from was over (I wouldn't go back anyway) so I had to take it to the only local dealership. I was worried about that TSB about the pulley bearings and other issues, and I've heard that powertrain covers those issues. Lo and behold, they say it's a worn belt + glazed tensioner + AC bracket near pulley (supposed misalignment). The dealership says no warranty coverage and wants $620+ to fix it (parts + 4 hours labor)...I was pissed. A local honest "Ma & Pop" shop verifies the quote. Not sure how I should proceed. Ideas?

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squidofthedeep View Post
    I just bought my 4.7 liter 2004 Tundra Double Cab SR5 4X4 used a few months back with 43K on the engine. Everything seemed just dandy for about 1500 miles...then I heard the dreaded *chirp, chirp, chirp*. Of course, the 30-day service obligation from the lot I bought it from was over (I wouldn't go back anyway) so I had to take it to the only local dealership. I was worried about that TSB about the pulley bearings and other issues, and I've heard that powertrain covers those issues. Lo and behold, they say it's a worn belt + glazed tensioner + AC bracket near pulley (supposed misalignment). The dealership says no warranty coverage and wants $620+ to fix it (parts + 4 hours labor)...I was pissed. A local honest "Ma & Pop" shop verifies the quote. Not sure how I should proceed. Ideas?
    None of us go to the stealership for that amount hell adding a new belt on labor is $40 I had mine done last week and Install the gatorback belt again. I love this belt super quiet factory suxxx ...

Liked
    5 times
    Images

FAQ: How do I contact Toyota's Corporate Headquarters?
    I would get these people involved early and just get the TSB fixed the way it was supposed to be fixed. What parts were changed for this TSB on your truck? If they did not replace the bracket it talks about in the TSB it will still squeek!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Salty_Dog; 01-20-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the intel - it's just what I needed. I have no way of knowing what, if any, TSB repairs were done by the previous owner. However, I do know that the lot I bought it off of had the ball joint issue fixed. I doubt any of the TSB repairs pertaining to the squeak have been addressed...that's probably why the dealership says the tensioner, bracket, and belt need to be replaced. Unfortunately, 36 months/36,000 miles have elapsed, so I'm sure I'll have to cough it up...powertrain won't cover it. I'll check through the contact link you posted to see if anything can be done. Once again, thanks for the intel.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ralfred View Post
    I am new to the forum. I have read a ton of great information so far. I bought my Tundra new in Dec '06. I love the vehicle but it's been in the shop five times so far. Once for the ball joints and four times for the belt/tensioner pulley. The dealership has replaced the belt tensioner pulley 4 times on warranty. Each time they say that they have an updated TSB for the fix. The truck was just back in the shop in December for a new pulley/belt and the noise is starting all over again.

Are they ever going to get this straightened out? I worry that this will continue after the wararty is over and I am stuck with an extremely noisey belt/pulley. Does this fall under the lemon law?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Only if it is a safety item does the lemon law cover it in most states. Now my course of action would be to call the 1-800-gotoyota explain it all to them. They make sh*t happen.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squidofthedeep View Post
    Thanks for the intel - it's just what I needed. I have no way of knowing what, if any, TSB repairs were done by the previous owner. However, I do know that the lot I bought it off of had the ball joint issue fixed. I doubt any of the TSB repairs pertaining to the squeak have been addressed...that's probably why the dealership says the tensioner, bracket, and belt need to be replaced. Unfortunately, 36 months/36,000 miles have elapsed, so I'm sure I'll have to cough it up...powertrain won't cover it. I'll check through the contact link you posted to see if anything can be done. Once again, thanks for the intel.
    your VIN # could not be affected anyway check TSB and see if it's in there or call any Toyota Sewvice writer and get him to run a history check with your VIN#. They are their to help you and will as long as ya don't get a MORON SW! The TSB is not that hard to do from what i have seen but if you have no tools or help it could be difficult job? 640 bucks is way off target for this job. seems kinda expensive too me!!

Liked
    0 times

I did the old soap trick and it quieted down for awhile. Gonna try a Gatorback. If that don't get it I guess I will take it to the dealer.
    2000 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl cab 4X4
    2009 Toyota Highlander limited

Liked
    3 times

Two factory replacements, no noise 78.000 miles?? I guess I am lucky.
    2000 SR5 4WD Tundra
    2010 SR5 4WD Tundra
    2002 Honda S2000
    1962 VW ragtop

Liked
    0 times
    Images

where can you buy a gator back belt?
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5

List of Mods: 3" PA Body Lift, 3" BDS Suspension, 4.5" TC Lift= 12" of Lift, 35's, Mickey Thompson Classic Lock II 16x10, Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body Spacer....
    Custom bumper with winch, ARB Rear locker, 4.88 gears.......

CarDomain.com Site:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2899632

For Sale: 2" Lift Blocks w/ U-Bolts $35, (2)*Brand New* Bilstein HD Front Struts w/o coils $210...PM me for more info or to purchase!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast