Frame cracked!!! - Page 2

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Frame cracked!!!

  1. #16
    Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Snowy Highlands
    Posts
    11,091
    Liked
    646 times
    Images
    22
    Rep Power
    10925

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    Josh-

    Are you running metal to metal. or cans that aren't in the picture? If you're hitting the stops a lot on compression, the lca mounts do get pulled around.

    The suspension & steering linkage isn't perfectly aligned, but I'm having a hard time picturing what force would be applied from where to cause that crack.

    Did you grind out the old weld & refill with weld in addition to the reinforcement? If not, take that piece off and get back in there or it'll continue to rust out. If you can't easily get back in, POR-15 is gap filling and bonds to rust, just etch it first with their Metal Ready product.

    BTW guys this is "normal use" . We expect these trucks to hold up to 90% of what we throw them in to, and the other 10% is made possible by the aftermarket by way of parts and fabrication. Things like this are honestly pretty rare, 1st-gen Tundras are strong.

    -Sean

    GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

    "some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Veteran Member trfytoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orcutt, Ca
    Age
    32
    Posts
    739
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    9
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven View Post
    Josh-

    Are you running metal to metal. or cans that aren't in the picture? If you're hitting the stops a lot on compression, the lca mounts do get pulled around.

    The suspension & steering linkage isn't perfectly aligned, but I'm having a hard time picturing what force would be applied from where to cause that crack.

    Did you grind out the old weld & refill with weld in addition to the reinforcement? If not, take that piece off and get back in there or it'll continue to rust out. If you can't easily get back in, POR-15 is gap filling and bonds to rust, just etch it first with their Metal Ready product.

    BTW guys this is "normal use" . We expect these trucks to hold up to 90% of what we throw them in to, and the other 10% is made possible by the aftermarket by way of parts and fabrication. Things like this are honestly pretty rare, 1st-gen Tundras are strong.

    -Sean
    I have bump stops.. no worries, Rust was completely removed, welded crack, welded plate, scotch brite, painted. I dont have too many problems with rust over here anyway. Well the force is from the steering rack being completely rigid to the frame. Frames flex and move around so when you add a bushing that has no play, something has to give... and in my case...steering rack.


    Go to JSIMotorSports.com for billet window hinges.
    NOW IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP

  4. #18
    DH
    DH is offline
    Supporter DH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bel Air
    Posts
    408
    Liked
    7 times
    Rep Power
    716

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    trfytoy,
    I find it hard to believe that the crack was caused by “a steering rack bushing”, as most others here agree. No need to get defensive about it. I think it’s good for a young man such as yourself to push your truck to the extreme since many on this site are afraid to do the same (including me). We would never know its limits without people such as you.

    I just think it’s fair to look at ALL the facts to prevent mass hysteria on this site leading everyone to talk about how substandard the Tundra is and start buying/recommending the Datsun Titan. Meaning that it’s more than likely your frame cracked from the enormous impact caused by your truck slamming the ground after being airborne than from a “rigid bushing” on your steering rack. It’s NOT totally impossible for those bushings to have caused the crack just unlikely IMOP.

  5. #19
    Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Snowy Highlands
    Posts
    11,091
    Liked
    646 times
    Images
    22
    Rep Power
    10925

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    Sounds like a good fix, the plate hides the new weld so I figured it was worth asking...tho I didn't think you'd let it go wrong .

    How's your steering rack looking, have you pulled the boots and inspected the ram recently?

    I'm still trying to think how the rack would be loaded in such a way to tear that weld. The reinforcement looks good, might not be a bad thing to do for guys who really pound on the truck.

    Aren't all the steering rack bolts single shear?

    It just seems strange, I agree with DH a bit, since Chaos makes the bushings and I've heard them recommended by Camburg as well.
    Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 01-14-2008 at 10:56 AM.

    GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

    "some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC


  6. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hagerstown, MD
    Posts
    59
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    Rubber or Poly would cause the same problem. On a hard landing your going to get the same abuse at that spot the rubber is going to compress and be as hard as the poly, it will give a little dampening at first but not much. The only real advantage of the rubber is the constant vibration that it dampens. If people weren't worried about vibration than most of these parts would either be directly bolted or use a harder rubber or poly.

  7. #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SD
    Posts
    532
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    maybe the bolt or nut on that particular section of the bushing was overtightened.

  8. #22
    Veteran Member mattjensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Santa Maria california
    Age
    30
    Posts
    803
    Liked
    0 times
    Images
    8
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    yea josh your lucky i saw that crack huh ? lol

    mods:
    donahoes,camburg uppers,MT classic II's,BFG AT KO's 285 75 16, spintech sportsman street dumped,braided steel brake lines,powerslot rotors,energy suspension sterring rack bushings, 10 pack deavers, 2.5x8 sway aways with resi (rear).

  9. #23
    Veteran Member Hi Volt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Langley, BC
    Posts
    510
    Liked
    20 times
    Images
    7
    Rep Power
    4753

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    It looks like the rack mount is what cracked and not the actual front crossmember, is this correct ? Also noticing your travel limiting straps on the front suspension, do you tend to use full suspension travel at times ? I think it is more a result of hard use versus "poly" bushings.

    just my 0.01

  10. #24
    Veteran Member trfytoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orcutt, Ca
    Age
    32
    Posts
    739
    Liked
    1 times
    Rep Power
    9
    Thread Starter

    Default Re: Frame cracked!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Volt View Post
    It looks like the rack mount is what cracked and not the actual front crossmember, is this correct ? Also noticing your travel limiting straps on the front suspension, do you tend to use full suspension travel at times ? I think it is more a result of hard use versus "poly" bushings.

    just my 0.01

    You are correct sir! Not the lower control arm. The steering rack is trying to pull itsself off the frame from lack of "give" in the poly bushing.


    Go to JSIMotorSports.com for billet window hinges.
    NOW IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •