OIL STOP LEAK, A good or bad idea?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: OIL STOP LEAK, A good or bad idea?

Liked
    0 times

Default OIL STOP LEAK, A good or bad idea?

My Tundra is great, but the wife's Camry is leaking oil now on the garage floor. Has 160K miles. I am guessing the gaskets are drying out. The leak isn't real bad but I would like to put in a can of STOP LEAK of whatever brand works well. I have put in the high mileage oil, but it didn't stop it. Any recommendations of what works well or does anyone have a horror story of it ruining your engine? Thanks for all replies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: OIL STOP LEAK, A good or bad idea?

don't waste your money on that crap. Chances are it could be a valve cover gasket and that gasket alone will probably cost you just as much as a can of the "it wont stop the leak although the can says it will"
    1988 PT67 Toyota Supra-far from stock toy
    2003 Tundra- stock "Family" truck
    1998 Ford Explorer AWD- Gone Miss it
    MmMmM Boosted

Quote Originally Posted by knucklebusted View Post
    Once you upgrade from Girlfriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 you can not keep Girlfriend 1.0 or try to have a second copy of Girlfriend 1.0 stashed away. Wife 1.0 is a total control system anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-extracurricular activity that keeps all the important things safe, even from yourself. Removing Wife 1.0 is very resource intensive and many guys have had to start over.

You have been warned.

Liked
    3 times

Go over to Bob Is The Oil Guy and do some research on Auto-Rx. I wouldn't put anything else in my oil.

Ken
    JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, Bilstein 5100 Front Level Lift , CDT Kama Speakers, Elemental Designs 9.4 Amp, Eclipse CD2000 Head Unit.

Liked
    0 times

Have you checked to see if all bolts are torqued properly? Wouldn't add a stop leak type product if it were me, its would be like adding a handful of oatmeal IMHO. It will stop radiator leaks too if you are willing At 160k you will be doing some maintance in the near future..replace gaskets then.

Liked
    0 times

All of those types of products are garbage. The only thing I will put besides the proper fluid in anything on a vehicle is seafoam. All of the stop leak or restore your engine products are garbage, and mechanic worth there salt with tell you that.
    Zach
    02 Trd 4x4 Tundra, Lightforce 240 Blitz, Spintech Sportsman XL, Randy Ellis Light bar, Yakima Loadwarrior Rack

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    24 times

bad,
    fix the issue, unless your going to take it in.
    gorilla

Liked
    9 times

If the gaskets are old and leaking, replace the gaskets. Cure the problem instead of just trying to treat the symptoms.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

Worst idea ever if you put that stuff in radiator it may stop leak but will also clog radiator.So if may stop you oil leak but may also lead to other problem clogged oil pump,etc.DON'T DO IT.
    Independent dealer at AMSOIL. http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=5072667

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Don't do it. Most of these products 'fix' your leak by chemically (is that a word?) swelling and softening the seals and gaskets. If it works at all, it's for a short time and then you have damaged all your seals and gaskets that have come into contact with those chemicals. As Heatwave said... fix the problem.
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    0 times

Well.........if a product claims to stops a leak I would wonder what else will it plug up
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Liked
    7 times

You need to find out where the leak is coming from. If it is a gasket like a valve cover or pan gasket, you need to replace the gasket. If it is a seal, then Auto-RX has potential to help it as 2000LtdKen suggested.

Liked
    0 times

The oil stop leak will not stop up anything, since as someone said above, it is a seal conditioner; causing the seals to soften, swell a little. Takes about 500+ miles to act; if it acted too quickly the seals would turn to jello. This is the same stuff that comes in smaller doses in high mileage oils. I would not, do not normally advise usage of chemicals other than a clean up dose of FI cleaner occasionally, but if it is a gasket leak, not a metal to metal leak, it does sometimes help, especially if it is a rear main or similar that is difficult and expensive to fix, so it is worth a try at next oil change, and if used moderately, and fails to slow/stop leak, will only cause your wallet to be $5.00 or so lighter. Do not use a thickener, use a seal conditioner. I used to sell parts, and there was always a shelf full of all kinds of snake oil, most worthless (but the public wants them for the placebo effect), but some do help specific problems adequately, and all you can do is try. I would try to locate leak to see if repair is worth the trouble and expense @ the current mileage. Siloo, now absorbed by CRC market a product called Bearing Seal or Engine Seal that is such a product, and this is all it claims to do. Beware of products that claim to do everything from curing the mange, improving your sex life, stopping oil leaks, and also doubles as a desert topping
    Last edited by L R H; 02-29-2008 at 09:35 PM.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    49 times
    Images

Auto-Rx would be a good thing for that Camry, even if it didn't stop the leak. Use it in your Tundra with confidence too!

Liked
    1 times

Identify the oil leak source, then make a plan of attack to fix it or have it fixed right.
    I don't everything about these engines but all the ones I have worked since the early eighties did not use gaskets, they all had o-rings seals for oil pans, valve covers, etc. So most likely it is a looseness issue. Get some good engine cleaner so you can find the leak, and then download some torque spec's for the oil pan or valve cover or whatever needs retorqueing off this site. And go to it, if your going to keep it a while look into lock tight thread locker so things stay tight.
    Kevin
    kbl41001

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-03-2013, 08:08 AM
  2. 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
  3. 12-02-2010, 05:08 AM