Hesitation in acceleration

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums Ė General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hesitation in acceleration

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Hesitation in acceleration

Hey guys, first time posting..... hope someone can help. So here's my problem.....I have a 2001 Tundra 3.4, every time I accelerate it starts bogging out. I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs, but still same problem. I saw on the forum about a fuel pressure regulator and the symptoms sound about the same. So I ordered one. It will be here on the 7th if any one has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks mytundra2001
    Last edited by Mytundra2001; 03-02-2008 at 03:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Hesitation in acceleration

did yo try cleaning the MAF?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Post Re: Hesitation in acceleration

Thanks for replying beastman. I did clean the MAF out still no change looking for some more ideas.

Liked
    0 times

Besides the MAF, also clean the throttle body. After that, put two cans of Seafoam in your gas tank with full fuel.

What kind of plugs did you put in?
    2012 Camry SE
    Bone-stock 05 Access Cab Tundra, V-8, 4x4, TRD Off-Road w/LSD, Spectra Blue Mica

Liked
    0 times

Don't forget to stick some in your oil. Cleans those sticky valves and all the crap plastered to the inner walls of your crankshaft.
    2000 Tundra 2wd V8
    Some decal work done.
    Hope to have UD pulley soon

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah it could be low fuel pressure. Check the fuel lines to make sure there isn't any bending in them.

It also could be something in your ignition system is just not working right. Faulty coil maybe? Turn your truck on in the dark and look for any electricity arking across the electrical connectors that connect to the spark plug coil housing.

I'm betting its the fuel pump.

Liked
    3 times

beside all of above, replace or clean PCV valve (use carburator cleaner) it should help a lot if you never changed it before.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ok today i will clean pcv valve,BUY THE WAY I USED BOSCH PLATINUM 4 PLUGS, THE THROTTLE BODY IS pretty clean. what is this sea foam, is it injector cleaner I will reply after i take care of the things that you guys wrote. IF SEA FOAM IS INJECTOR CLEANER what do you think about lucas injector cleaner,because thats what i have. Is it any good and is sea foam really good for oil?

Liked
    0 times

I hope you have better luck with Bosch plugs than others have on Toyotas and Hondas. do a search. Most like the OEM Denso or NGK which tend to work better and are cheaper.

If you have 80,000 + miles, then clean the TB with TB cleaner which helps clean the intake area also. This is a common problem on ALL modern engines when they get to the 80k mile range and is simple to fix by treating the fuel, cleaning the MAF and TB and changing plugs.

Seafoam can be used for a lot of things and is generally accepted as one of the best products on the market to add to gas to help clean the injectors and fuel. I use it as a preventative by adding 2 cans every 8-10k miles to a full tank. It is the treatment of choice in the marine/boating industry for removing fuel line gunk and winterizing.

Another good product is Chevron's "Techron".

good luck on fixing your problem and let us know how it works out.

RE
    2012 Camry SE
    Bone-stock 05 Access Cab Tundra, V-8, 4x4, TRD Off-Road w/LSD, Spectra Blue Mica

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Lightbulb Re: Hesitation in acceleration

(edited)
    Last edited by Mytundra2001; 03-03-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Cool Re: Hesitation in acceleration

Thanks very much for all the suggestions guys, u are all awesome! I checked the PCV valve as Buglao suggested, but according to my Chiltonís repair guide it is fine as long as I hear a rattling sound when I shake it (which I do); any thoughts? I also removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it (as previously recommended). It was dirty with much grime; if I clean the MAF sensor and I still have issues, is it possible that I actually need to replace it, or is it a work or no work sensor? The Bosch spark plugs that I installed are still in good condition and all fuel injectors read at proper Ohm resistance.

This morning I threw all my parts back together and drove my truck about 25 miles without any real noticeable hesitation in acceleration, but did notice a downshift into 4th gear around 45 MPH would show hesitation while flooring the accelerator.

Someone previously posted a resolution to a similar issue by replacing the fuel pressure regulator (which I will have purchased, and will be delivered on March 6, 2008). I am seriously considering that it may not be the regulator because I hooked an air compressor up to the fuel rail end and hit it with the specified 55-65 PSI with an air compressor and it seemed to function fine. I do not have a lot of extra money to throw at my truck right now and would love to return my regulator if you all feel thatís not the issue at hand.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and effort in helping me out in these desperate times .

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: just a thought two parts of maf to clean!

not sure you know this, but there are two parts on the v6 maf sensor to clean the match head looking part, (very noticable) and the two hidden resister lookin things up inside the tube near the top. I spray mine with maf cleaner, remove o-ring carefully before you spray, by the way the o-ring can easly be damaged (kinked when reinstalling Maf) new ones can be found at well stocked hardware stores, if you kink yours you can tell by a slightly rougher idle from a air leak, and a slightly less snappy acceleration. if you look close at the o-ring you can see kink marks in it if you have damaged it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Beastman, is a good man. I love the fact that you are trying to push the envelope with ideas, especially about the MAF sensor. I did see the two little delicate wires inside the MAF, thatís why I was afraid to hit it with 100psi and sprayed it with brake cleaner. I think when u talk about hidden things on the MAF, I hope u r talking about the inside of the MAF sensor, and otherwise Iím screwed for what to do....Smiley

Liked
    0 times

In your post that you edited out, you stated that you cleaned the TB with brake cleaner (ouch) and that you had a code of # 6 plug misfire that you reset. I'm thinking that if you put the Seafoam or Techron in the tank that it may smooth out after the computer has time to adjust.

As to the fuel pressure regulator, you should have 30 days or so to return it so I would hang on to it for a week or so. If everything smooths out, then return it. If not, then put it in.

The misfire code has me concerned. Did it happen after MAF and TB cleaning or before?
    2012 Camry SE

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Randyeverett thanks for replying. The misfire code happened before the cleaning. Today i have put about 20 miles on it. Im still feeling it in 3rd gear and in high acceleration and a little bit in all the other gears .About how long till the computer refigures everything since i've cleaned everything?
    Last edited by Mytundra2001; 03-04-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast