Tundra transmission and intake manifold problems

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Tundra transmission and intake manifold problems

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Tundra transmission and intake manifold problems

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had this kind of transmission problem so early on and what they did.

I just had a 60,000 mile tuneup on my 2002 4x4 extended cab at ,my local Toyota dealer. I actually have 59,025 miles on it. I told the service guy that I sometimes hear a clunk when I left off the accelerator at about 35- 40mph he said they would check it out. I was informed later that my transmission had a lot of metal shavings in it and that I needed to have it replaced. Unfortunately even though it was under 60,000 miles I was over the 60 months by 6 months, I did buy the Platinum warranty but that too only covered 60 months or 60,000 miles whichever came first. So I would have to pay for a new transmission. On the way home a check engine light came on. showing code P0770. I bought it down to a transmission repair shop and they hooked it up to their computer and it showed a P0770 SS E fault, transmission solenoid problem. Went home and looked the error code up on the internet. I found someone else asking about the error code on a Tundra and a mechanic answered saying that that transmissions is on the way out ,it is throwing metal shavings around and those savings can get caught in the solenoid giving that error code.

One other thing they found was a faulty intake manifold gasket, leaking coolant. The service guy asked if the engine ever overheated or if I towed heavy things. I told him the only thing I have towed on occasion was my '84 CJ7 jeep but that it only weighs about 3500lbs.

Thanks for your attention.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra transmission and intake manifold problems

As far as the transmission, metal particles are normal as parts wear, and are usually captured by the pan magnets. However the solenoids also use magnetism to operate so they will naturally attract particles over time. Your code relates to an open or stuck solenoid/valvebody to do with the lockup clutch. At the speed you are talking about, is the point that OD drops out. For this to happen the lockup clutch must be burped ( off then on ) to ease the shift. If there is a delay and the burp dosesn't happen at the right time the OD shift will be delayed or will be rough. The ECU monitors solenoid operation, rpm, and fluid pressure to monitor the shifts for diagnostic purposes. I would drop the pan, clean the magnets, screen, and either clean or replace the solenoids. I wouldn't get too carried away with a re-build yet.

I would expect your intake leak is simply that, replace the gaskets and check the surfaces for any imperfections. Many of use tow much heavier loads and run our trucks in desert conditions while doing so, not had any intake problems in 200,000 mi. myself. More commonly the plastic intake manifolds have issues, but I believe that yours should be aluminum like my '01.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Volt View Post
    As far as the transmission, metal particles are normal as parts wear, and are usually captured by the pan magnets. However the solenoids also use magnetism to operate so they will naturally attract particles over time. Your code relates to an open or stuck solenoid/valvebody to do with the lockup clutch. At the speed you are talking about, is the point that OD drops out. For this to happen the lockup clutch must be burped ( off then on ) to ease the shift. If there is a delay and the burp dosesn't happen at the right time the OD shift will be delayed or will be rough. The ECU monitors solenoid operation, rpm, and fluid pressure to monitor the shifts for diagnostic purposes. I would drop the pan, clean the magnets, screen, and either clean or replace the solenoids. I wouldn't get too carried away with a re-build yet.

I would expect your intake leak is simply that, replace the gaskets and check the surfaces for any imperfections. Many of use tow much heavier loads and run our trucks in desert conditions while doing so, not had any intake problems in 200,000 mi. myself. More commonly the plastic intake manifolds have issues, but I believe that yours should be aluminum like my '01.
    Hey thanks for all the information. If memory serves me right they said they had dropped the pan when they saw alot of metal shavings. So at least I don't have to do that again, except if I want to clean the solenoids. I've driven about 150 miles and no error code since the transmission place cleared it. Was thinking of getting another truck anyways, those half doors are a real pain in the butt for various reasons and could use 4 full doors. When I bought mine in '02 they didn't have the crew cab yet.

Thanks again

Liked
    0 times

Did you try to drive it with O/D off?
    bug deflector/side fender turn signal/went shades/back rack/tool box/rear strip light/nerf bars/top light bar/front alternating flashers/rear strobes in turn & stop lights/bedmatt & linert/all badges removed/Helwig sway bar

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

No I haven't tried it with the OD off. I will try that the next time I have it out.

Thanks

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 2002 Tundra transmission and intake manifold problems

Quote Originally Posted by acourpet View Post
    Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had this kind of transmission problem so early on and what they did.

I just had a 60,000 mile tuneup on my 2002 4x4 extended cab at ,my local Toyota dealer. I actually have 59,025 miles on it. I told the service guy that I sometimes hear a clunk when I left off the accelerator at about 35- 40mph he said they would check it out. I was informed later that my transmission had a lot of metal shavings in it and that I needed to have it replaced. Unfortunately even though it was under 60,000 miles I was over the 60 months by 6 months, I did buy the Platinum warranty but that too only covered 60 months or 60,000 miles whichever came first. So I would have to pay for a new transmission. On the way home a check engine light came on. showing code P0770. I bought it down to a transmission repair shop and they hooked it up to their computer and it showed a P0770 SS E fault, transmission solenoid problem. Went home and looked the error code up on the internet. I found someone else asking about the error code on a Tundra and a mechanic answered saying that that transmissions is on the way out ,it is throwing metal shavings around and those savings can get caught in the solenoid giving that error code.

One other thing they found was a faulty intake manifold gasket, leaking coolant. The service guy asked if the engine ever overheated or if I towed heavy things. I told him the only thing I have towed on occasion was my '84 CJ7 jeep but that it only weighs about 3500lbs.

Thanks for your attention.
    Just an FYI. My neighbor told me to contact Toyota headquarters and tell them about my problem. He thought that since I had bought a Toyota before (showing loyalty) and the car was still under 60K that they may offer to share some of the cost of repair. I called Toyota today and the representative did mention the "possibility" of sharing the cost of repair. Again the dealer did not mention that at all. Toyota's rep for this area is suppose to call me back within 3 days. I am hoping for good news. Will post what the outcome is.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I recently had contact with District Rep from Toyota and they are stepping up to fix my issues which were under warranty parameters but were called normal wear items by the same Rep and they said they would fix my truck. Not all meetings probably go this direction but i told them my cituation was unacceptable for part to fail with only 25K miles on them and i guess this was driving factor i was taken care of!! Props to TOYOTA!! Good luck with your issues,trannys are expensive!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just an FYI. My neighbor told me to contact Toyota headquarters and tell them about my problem. He thought that since I had bought a Toyota before (showing loyalty) and the car was still under 60K that they may offer to share some of the cost of repair. I called Toyota today and the representative did mention the "possibility" of sharing the cost of repair. Again the dealer did not mention that at all. Toyota's rep for this area is suppose to call me back within 3 days. I am hoping for good news. Will post what the outcome is.
    Was contacted by my dealer today. They had received my request of some possible help in repairing my transmission. Well between the parts manager and the district manager I was informed that the only thing they would offer is a 10 percent discount on the repair. Heck I can get that on a coupon. I've decided to sell the truck as i never really liked the suicide doors but that was the only thing available when I bought it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Was contacted by my dealer today. They had received my request of some possible help in repairing my transmission. Well between the parts manager and the district manager I was informed that the only thing they would offer is a 10 percent discount on the repair. Heck I can get that on a coupon. I've decided to sell the truck as i never really liked the suicide doors but that was the only thing available when I bought it.
    Well to people who enjoy a mini series I will continue my post. After receiving the above reply I decided to deal my last hand. I wrote to the President of Toyota U.S.A. explaining my two main problems, transmission and exhaust gasket. I realize that they hold all the cards since my warranty is out because of time (not by mileage). In my letter I mentioned that I belonged to the Tundra Solutions Forum where there are over 120,000 members where I posted my problem with my Tundra and that I had within 3 weeks over 250 members reviewing my post/issues. Within a few days I received a phone call from one of Toyota's executives. She asked if I had anything else to add to my letter, I said no. She said she was going to review it and call me back by next Tuesday with a decision. Hopefully the God's and Toyota will look favorably on me!

Liked
    14 times

In my letter I mentioned that I belonged to the Tundra Solutions Forum where there are over 120,000 members where I posted my problem with my Tundra and that I had within 3 weeks over 250 members reviewing my post/issues.
    I like that tactic. Let them know about the internet (TS) and the possibility of millions of folks seeing the saga. NICE!
    Ride hard, die young and leave a good looking corpse. Now that I'm older...

2013 DC 4x4 SR5 5.7 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road, Line-X Premium, Weather Tech floor liners...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well just got off the phone with Toyota USA. They have decided to pay for the parts if I pay for the labor. Seeing that I was at their mercy I glady accepted the offer. Had I not decided to replace this truck I would have driven it and tried all the recommendations given above until it failed. But since I decided to sell it I wanted to make sure that there were no issues about the tranny. Thanks to all who offered suggestions, thanks for this forum which I believe didn't hurt in mentioning it in my letter to Toyota, and Ms. Sorenson at Toyota USA.