Chevy/Toyota 6 lug wheels really the same?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chevy/Toyota 6 lug wheels really the same?

Liked
    3 times

Default Chevy/Toyota 6 lug wheels really the same?

I've seen several after market wheel sets for sale with the claim that they will fit Chevy or Toyota. Is this true or is there a big "BUT" or "IF" somewhere I should know about? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Chevy/Toyota 6 lug wheels really the same?

They have the same lug pattern, so they could possibly fit. You still have to make sure due to brake calipers and the offsett of the rims, backspacing, etc..

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Main difference is center bore size. Toyota's need a larger center bore, many Chevy rims won't fit a Toyota for the simple reason the center bore on the wheel is too small.
    /Mike
    2001 2WD Silver Tundra: 4x4 TRD springs, Camburg Uniballs with adjustable Bilsteins, Carson AAL, red/blue Bilsteins in rear, 265/75 Yokohama A/T, IS kit(minus bumper) and rims(hand polished), Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade, TC Steering Bushings, RF851X amp, Alpine HU, JL 6.5"XR comps, Qlogic with JL 8W3V2 subs. Stebel 300Hz Air Horn.
    202k miles and counting......

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, black with gray interior.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

in a word... no
    2006 DC SR5
    Bilstein 5100s F&R
    Wheelers 1.5" AAL
    285 Nittos on OEM Alloys
    Flowmaster Delta 40
    LUND Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau
    WADE in-Channel Visors
    Lil Boom under the seat compliments of RF
    Full LED conversion
    Nothing too fancy, just better than stock!

Liked
    0 times

toyotas fit on chevys, but not all chevys fit toyotas

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    667 times
    Images

Center bore does not matter if the rims are lug centric...I've run Toyota bore and Dana bore, the Ivan Stewart rims are a different bore than the OEM alloys IIRC, and so on...since our trucks use ADD, and a FWD style hub, there's nothing sticking out of the upright that a wheel needs to clear except the centering cone and that will depend on what wheel you're using. Same in the rear...if it's lug centric, it doesn't matter as long as the pattern is correct.

As long as the pattern is 6 on 5.5" (or metric measurement 6 on 139.7), AND the valley between the mating surface and shell is deep enough to clear our calipers (roughly 3/4"), it will fit. Which OEM it was made for does not matter.

Most stamped steel rims DON'T fit because the center isn't dished enough to clear the caliper, but most aluminum rims DO fit. If you get lug-centric you don't have to deal with the centering cone, frankly it's a lot easier than the hub-centric OEM setup.

I have been using rims which are "technically" for Chevy bolt pattern for the last...oh...seven years, and recently got another set with the same spec. Ya don't think Toyota planned it that way, do ya ?

-Sean
    Last edited by DevinSixtySeven; 03-11-2008 at 10:49 AM.

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    3 times

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.

Liked
    1 times

As an example, I have a set of BOSS eagle alloys 18" with toyo proxes 285/60R-18 tires.
    Knowing that the bolt pattern was the same, I put one of the BOSS wheels on just to see if it cleared hub opening, fit over brakes etc... Well it did appear to fit. But to be sure I took to a Belle tire dealer and had them fit them. I was right. They will fit. So until you can "try on" a set of wheels, don't rule them out.
    IN2BA8

Liked
    369 times
    Images

My buddies 38" swampers from his panel Wagoneer fit my Tundra and mine fit his. Except for the fact I cannot turn his wheel/tire on my truck, the shoe fits though
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

"in a word... no"

Shallow water in Florida maybe?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If they're MT Classic II's they should fit. Most people here get their 16x8's in a "Chevy" backspacing,it fills the wheelwells better than the backspacing MT recommends for Tundras.
    My roomate bought my old MTs,he has a 90s Chevy pickup
    2000 Imperial Jade Mica Tundra SR5 V8 4WD - sold to my dad
    2002 Thundercloud Sport Edition 4Runner - my "new" Toyota truck

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

the bolt patterent is the same, ALL toyota wheels will fit on a chevy, BUT not all chevy wheels will fit on a toyota, if they are hub centric to a chevy they wont fit a toyota, basically you have to try the wheel on,

IF THE WHEEL SAYS "BOLT PATTEREN, 6X5.5 AND ITS HUBCENTRIC IT WILL NOT FIT, ITS DESIGNED FOR A CHEVY, GET THE ONE THAT ISNT HUBCENTRIC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.