P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Default P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Good morning guys.
    I had to drive up to my sister's funeral this week (1000 mi trip), The truck performed flawlessly (as usual).
    This morning, I go out to get coffee and after two blocks, the engine refuses to respond to the gas pedal & throws a CEL (P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction).
    I shut down,let it sit for a few minutes, restarted, and as others have reported, the truck worked normally again.
    Here's the question: Is this a module that I can replace, or should I bite the bullet & take it to the the shop? I have a 1000mi.drive home & I need to resolve this soon.
    Thanks,
    Hispeed
    Last edited by Hispeed; 03-13-2008 at 06:29 AM.
    '00 Thunder Gray Ltd 4wd TRD Oak Leather Interior
    Roll & Lock Tonneau
    All LED's Inside and Out
    '05 DC center console installed
    Map Light Mod
    Pwr Outlet Mod
    Ignition Chime Override Mod
    Arm Rest Mod
    Dual Magellan GPS's
    ScanGauge II
    Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis Survivor

Bill and Scooter say: "Tundras' Rock!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: P1120 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Do a search for TLA or Throttle lever Assembly. I have posted on this before.
    3 #3 screws and and a 10mm to remove the engine cover and airbox clamps.About 20 mins total time.
    The part # I posted is for the 2000 and about 250 bucks it is a large Rheostat that the throttle cable attaches to on the pass side front of the throttle body.
    The dealer will try t sell you the whole manifold assembly for about $1400
    Ignoring it will put you in a Holy bat farts bat man situation.......But may not do it again for awhile. Your roll of the dice.
    Az

Liked
    3 times

before you decide to change anything clean throttle body first. you can get throttle body clean from autopart.

Liked
    23 times

I'd bite the bullet. That exact unit just failed in my '00 and it took me 10 minutes to change out. Fixed my problem, and haven't had a CEL since (replaced on Wed.) Cost for the assembly was like $280.00.

Sounds like it's a faulty part from Toyota...because a lot of people are starting to have this problem...

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I bit the bullet.
    Like I said, I'm a thousand miles from home for a funeral so I let the local dealer do it.
    $280 for the part, 1 hr labor (@ $105 hr ) for the diagnostic and another hr for the installation. You would think they would at least give you a break on the diagnostic.
    Oh well, as trouble free as this truck has been for the past eight years, it's a pretty small price to pay overall.
    BTW, the throttle body was clean enough to eat off.
    Thanks for all your advice.
    '00 Thunder Gray Ltd 4wd TRD Oak Leather Interior
    Roll & Lock Tonneau
    All LED's Inside and Out
    '05 DC center console installed
    Map Light Mod
    Pwr Outlet Mod
    Ignition Chime Override Mod
    Arm Rest Mod
    Dual Magellan GPS's
    ScanGauge II
    Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis Survivor

Bill and Scooter say: "Tundras' Rock!"

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Happy to hear you got it fixed. Have a safe drive home and GB.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by slowyota View Post
    I'd bite the bullet. That exact unit just failed in my '00 and it took me 10 minutes to change out. Fixed my problem, and haven't had a CEL since (replaced on Wed.) Cost for the assembly was like $280.00.

Sounds like it's a faulty part from Toyota...because a lot of people are starting to have this problem...
    Could you please give me the part number, a detailed description, etc. so I can purchase the part for my 2002 Tundra which has a CEL P1120. Also, do you have any pictures of where it is located?

Thanks

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tariqansari View Post
    Could you please give me the part number, a detailed description, etc. so I can purchase the part for my 2002 Tundra which has a CEL P1120. Also, do you have any pictures of where it is located?
    My dad's 2002 (V8) has been acting up lately and he's also getting the P1120 code. I've searched and searched and I keep getting mixed answers. Is the P1120 code for the Throttle Position Sensor or the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor?? Also, I know where the TPS is, but where is the APPS? Is it where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body on the passenger side??
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

part #22060-50011. APPS sensor. Got mine online for $223.00 plus $13.76 shipping. www.kalamzootoyota>com My tundra is a 2000. Should not make a difference. V8-2w drive.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

The APPS (accelerator pedal position sensor) is on the passenger side of the throttle body, houses the coiled return spring for the throttle plate, has an electrical connector, mounts with three screws, and is the terminus of the accelerator pedal cable at the throttle. It is installed by placing it about 20 degrees left of its final position and rotating it clockwise until it touches the throttle valve shaft, tightening the screws, and reconnecting the throttle cable. Here is an pic of the actual component:

The TP (throttle position) sensor is on the driver side of the throttle body, also has an electrical connector, and is mounted with two screws and a hold-down clip. It is installed by placing it about 15 degrees to the right of its final installed position and rotated counter-clockwise until it touches the throttle shaft, then loosely tightened. Then, you need a scanner (maybe the scanguage can readout the data...) to set it to between 14.4-16% of throttle valve opening percentage. Here is a pic of the component:

The Chilton manual has excellent sections (with pics) on removing/replacing these components. If you can unscrew a screw and follow simple directions, this is a 15 minute job.

I do suggest, however, before replacing either of these components, a thoroughly cleaning of the throttle body and, just as importantly, cleaning the electrical connectors and reseating them with a good coating of dielectric grease. I'd guess that failures of these components are largely tied to external fouling, both at the connector as well as via the throttle plate, rather than an internal failure of the component itself.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 01-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Thanks for the information! Now... the P1120 code... which one is that for? Or do you have to test both of them?
    2000 Tundra SR5 2WD... Camburg UCAs, Camburg 2.5" coil-overs, Deaver 10-packs, Bilstein 5100s, Moog LBJs, BFG A/T 285/75/16s, TRD bead-lock wheels, K&N air filter, 18" MagnaFlow muffler, clear corners, Sylvania fog/headlights, full LED conversion, Kenwood head unit & 6-3/4" 3-way speakers, Sound Ordnance B-8PT 8" subwoofer, Coverking neoprene seat covers... so far...

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoachRon View Post
    Thanks for the information! Now... the P1120 code... which one is that for? Or do you have to test both of them?
    P1120 = The ECU is registering a fault with the APPS (which I think is a range-of-motion problem), usually caused by fouling somewhere on or around the throttle plate.
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    63 times
    Images

Dang, that's an expensive part to replace. I'm glad it's not my truck! I'm gonna see about cleaning all around the throttle body this weekend when we replace his starter. Do you think cleaning would help, or would you eliminate the risk of it failing and just replace it?

Liked
    2774 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoachRon View Post
    Dang, that's an expensive part to replace. I'm glad it's not my truck! I'm gonna see about cleaning all around the throttle body this weekend when we replace his starter. Do you think cleaning would help, or would you eliminate the risk of it failing and just replace it?
    I would do a thorough throttle body cleaning first. Pay particular attention to the edges and pivot shaft areas on the throttle plate. Then I would pull both connectors and gently scrub them out with WD-40, a toothbrush, and a light blast of MAF cleaner, lightly pack them with dielectric grease, and reconnect.

If the problems persist, then I would remove each component, clean and lube the throttle plate attachment arms, lube the protruding throttle plate shaft, and reinstall.

If that doesn't do it, then replacement is the right call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)