Still running your original radiator? CHANGE IT!!!! - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Still running your original radiator? CHANGE IT!!!!

If you haven't changed your radiator yet take my advice and avoid a huge mess and alot of money and change it. My transmittion cooler inside my radiator exploded and I now have my tranny full of anti-freeze and the rad and engine block full of transmittion fluid. I had to replace the rad and flush both. What a mess and alot of money.

Has anyone lost a transmittion due to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

Re: Still running your original radiator? CHANGE IT!!!!

I have never heard of that. What year is your truck?
post #3 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

The truck is a 2000 with 135k. I keep up on all maintenance and this totally caught me off-guard.

post #4 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

I changed mine out last year due to dropping a drill with an extended bit into the side of it, (I know, dumbass CJ move) but other than that it still looked good. As long as they look good, and you do a flush every 2-3 years, you should be fine.

2000 Tundra V8 SR5 4x4 AccessCab
3K4 Red Mica Metallic | Bilstein 5100s 2.5" Front | Wheeler's Off Road 1" Rear Block
LT265/75R16 123Q Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac | MB Wheels - Razor
Penzoil Ultra Synthetic 5W-30 | Purolator PureOne Oil Filter| Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil
NGK Platinum Spark Plugs | Josh's Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade
1/9/2012: 252,197 miles

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- General George Patton Jr
post #5 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, have you always used the Toyota red or have you used anythign else at some point?

2001 Black AC V8 4x4

Current Mods: 5100s on 4th Notch, Diff Drop, Poly Rack Bushings, Recon Tailgate LED Bar, Edelbrock Exhaust, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/R16, Blacked Out Emblems, Color Matched Mirror Caps, Bumpers and Front Grill, Skid Row Skid Plate (Thanks to four_by_four), Full Blue LED interior lighting, Herculiner Bed Liner, Kobalt Low Profile Tool Box, Smitty Built Rear Shackle, Walmart Front AUX lights, JVC Headunit, Kicker Front Components, Pioneer Rear Speakers, Magnefine Filter, Viper Remote Start, Single in-Dual out 2.25in Exhaust
Thanks to Rust: New Frame, New Calipers, New Rear Axle, Sway Bar End Links, Tailgate Straps, Patched Bed Floor
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiantundra88 View Post
dave, every one has a weekness, yours is just any work on your truck
post #6 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oofy15354 View Post
Out of curiosity, have you always used the Toyota red or have you used anythign else at some point?
Very valid question here.

Toyota Red is what needs to be used.

2000 Tundra V8 SR5 4x4 AccessCab
3K4 Red Mica Metallic | Bilstein 5100s 2.5" Front | Wheeler's Off Road 1" Rear Block
LT265/75R16 123Q Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac | MB Wheels - Razor
Penzoil Ultra Synthetic 5W-30 | Purolator PureOne Oil Filter| Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil
NGK Platinum Spark Plugs | Josh's Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade
1/9/2012: 252,197 miles

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- General George Patton Jr
post #7 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Yes I always run toyota red and when I changed the timing belt I flushed and pulled the radiator. It looked brand new inside, I figured after 90,000 I would find some scalling inside it. Clean as new...
post #8 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Supportive Supporter

More info please:
Do you tow anything?
Has there been any coolant leaks or weird smells from the exhaust?
Overheating?
Mine (a 2004 DC) has 235K miles on it and it still looks fine (Toyo RED has only been used).

Maybe you can take the old radiator apart and do a little detective work.....see if you can pin point what failed......and post some pics.

TheGryme Do It Right, No One Remembers. Do It Wrong....No One Forgets!
'04 Tundra DC
Grey....V8 SR5 4X4 TRD Off Road Suspension, LSD, Towing Package, 5100's Front & Rear, Total Chaos UCAz, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265 75 16 Tires, Magnaflowed, UNIChipped, True~Flowed (w/ Secret AirBox Mods!), DeBadged, ScanGaged, XM'ed, a Few Scrapes and Dings.....Yeah!
'12 Camry SE
Silver with Limo Black Tinted Windows, 4 cyl. 6 Speed Auto, Black Leather Interior, De-Badged, Magnaflowed, Air Box Mods....Stock, mostly......For Now!
'92 4Runner
Black, V6, Downey / Rancho suspension F&R, 3 inch sus lift, 1 inch body lift, SAW T-Barz, 4:88's, ARB (rear), 32X12.50 BS Dualers on AR 8X15 Wheelz, Power Slots and Pads, Downey headers, MagnaFlo Muff, K&N FIPK, Ported heads, 1 piece stainless valves...way too much money in it!
'04 YZ250F
Dr.D Header and Can, JD Jetting, P38 AP, UNI Flame Proof Air Filter, No Back Fire Screen, Carbon Fiber Carb Heat Shield, Renthals, Maxxis Desert IT Tires, ASV Controls....
'87 Nissan Pathfinder......gone but not forgotten.
post #9 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:28 PM

I have not seen much on this forum about radiator failures. So I am going to assume that they are rare. I think I will take some risk and not replace mine. It looks fine.

2005 DC 4X4 SR5
post #10 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Rookie

I have seen this a few different times, it's not common but it does happen. Usually too late by the time people notice, ends up causing transmission damage, $$$!
post #11 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

I towed a Ski Nautique with it for one year. Just in the summer time about 30mins each way. I never have had any problems with overheating and when I did the timing belt I replaced all of the hoses after the inspection of the rad.

It was an internal failure of the tranny cooler. Sorry to say I don't have it anymore, on garbage night I put it out at the curb and one of the scrap metal pickers grabbed it. Here in MI we have scrap guys come around ever garbage night. Nothing stays at the curb very long.

I was working as an aircraft Mech for several years and have rebuilt everything from snowmobiles to boats and sport cars. I keep up on all preventive maintenance on my equipment. This thing just blindsided me. No hint of trouble before it blow.
Goshawk likes this.
post #12 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

04trdtundra, I will let you know if I end up changing the tranny. It slipped on the way home when the radiator split. I only had about a mile left to get to my driveway. Hopefully it will be ok.
post #13 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Supporter

Garage

I just bought my '00 with 132K on it about 3 weeks ago. One selling point the seller repeatedly made was that he had recently replaced the radiator. Yup, it was definately new....Then a week or so later, I checked my reservoir, and found about 3" of foamy orange sherbet in the bottom. you can read my post in the Engine Drivetrain forum about it.

Soooo I'm guessing this is what happened to mine, and the A-hole never flushed it properly.
post #14 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Stone Blue,

Yup thats what happened, it took several cycles to flush all of the orange sherbert out of my cooling system. I added some degreaser and to help break down the tranny fluid and then flushed it two more times.

How is your tranny shifting?
post #15 of 126 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Supporter

Garage

Hard for me to tell...I've never owned an auto..
It gets the job done....But not having driven it BEFORE this happened, I dont know if its supposed to be "snappier" or not.....The ATF in it looks fresh, but that doesnt mean the PO didnt just flush & fill it afterward....I hope to pull the pan soon, and look things over.

What did you use for degreaser?....I tried simple green on the reservoir, it cut it some, but not good enough... I used Engine Bright spray to clean out the reservoir, and that did a great job with just shaking it........Not sure I want to use that in my coolant system though....I saw Gunk has a liquid Degreaser, but I havent been able to find it locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page