hydraulic tensioner- will it need replacing?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hydraulic tensioner- will it need replacing?

Liked
    8 times

Default hydraulic tensioner- will it need replacing?

I picked up one of the timing belt kits on Ebay. About the only thing it didn't include is the hydraulic tensioner. I'm going to be at the dealer today or tommorow. Should I pick up a tensioner while I'm there, or not worry about it? Truck is a '00 Access cab w/ 123xxx on her. This is the first TB change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    163 times

Default Re: hydraulic tensioner- will it need replacing?

It would be a good idea to replace the hydraulic tensioner now. the tensioner can be a bit pricey, but the question is will the original go another 90k? I've seen some go to 270k and others fail at 150k. Replace it and you won't lose any sleep over it.

Liked
    8 times

yeah, that's what I'm thinking too....

Liked
    3 times

I have 2 Tundras and both have original tensioners on. One truck has 161k and the other had 134k. I would use it and put the money in your pocket.

Ken
    JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, Bilstein 5100 Front Level Lift , CDT Kama Speakers, Elemental Designs 9.4 Amp, Eclipse CD2000 Head Unit.

Liked
    8 times

I asked for one at the dealer yesterday, and the Parts Manager said not to bother. I'm thinking I'll wait for the next TB change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.