Tailgate damper

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Tailgate damper

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Tailgate damper

I emailed ez-down to see if they were going to release a damper for the 1st gen DC at all. Here's the response if anyone is interested.

"Stabilus is looking for a damper that will work on that truck. It needs to be about an inch longer than the one currently in the Tacoma kit.

We do not have a release date on this, but will keep your info on file, and send you an email when we know something more definitive on this.

Thanks for your interest in the product.

Regards,
    Cindy Kerr"

So there's still hope for us 1st gen owners that they will come out with one that works pretty soon.

mj
    Toyota E7007 with XM, bluetooth, and rear view camera, Jason Rage Fiberglass Tonneau with Yakima rails mounted on top, 2 electric linear actuators on custom mounts for powered remote unlock raise and lower tonneau, Linex bedliner, Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks front, 5100 rear, TC Diff drop, TC Steering rack bushings, KMC Hot Wheels edition 18" rims, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Aero Turbine 2525xl muffler with dual "foolie" Aero Tips, 18" Glasspack in place of oem resonator (GRRRRR Baby)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Default Re: Tailgate damper

I have one installed in my 2006 Tundra

It is a universal one I believe, it works well nevertheless.
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Boosted
    What do you have mounted on your truck and where did you get it from. I am looking at the ezdown specificatlly becuase it does not require any drilling.

mj
    Toyota E7007 with XM, bluetooth, and rear view camera, Jason Rage Fiberglass Tonneau with Yakima rails mounted on top, 2 electric linear actuators on custom mounts for powered remote unlock raise and lower tonneau, Linex bedliner, Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks front, 5100 rear, TC Diff drop, TC Steering rack bushings, KMC Hot Wheels edition 18" rims, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Aero Turbine 2525xl muffler with dual "foolie" Aero Tips, 18" Glasspack in place of oem resonator (GRRRRR Baby)

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I found that tailgate assist bar at a truck accessories shop. It is a Universal part that can be used on any tailgate ( Ford, Chevy ..etc)

It has a U shape where the vertical parts are about 6 inches long and the horizontal part is about 2 feet long.

You have to remove the tailgate first, then drill a 3/8 " hole in the middle of your tailgate and another same size hole in the bed of the truck.

As you re-install the tailgate, one vertical part of the U shaped Spring goes into the tailgate and one goes into the truck bed. When you open the tailgate the spring acts as a torsion bar. That's why it is now much easier to Open/Close the tailgate.

Not sure if my explanation was clear. It is real obvious when you see it.

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    6 times
    Images

You could try this one. I've never seen one in person, but it looks good.
    And... Tundra is on the list of available models.

Pop & Lock Tailgate Assist available at TruckAddons.com
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air

Liked
    6 times
    Images

The TRUCKADDONS looks good, although it might get in the way of things or get caught up when you unload messy stuff like mulch or garden soil. Also, it's a bit expensive at $ 150 !

I only paid $35 for mine and it works great and is essentially invisible and out of the way.

Liked
    1 times

Dang!! What's so hard about putting your tailgate up or down? Really!
    2004 Tundra DC SR5, Blue Marlin, TRD Off-Road, Tow Package, All Weather Guard. The Rest is Stock and Damn it, I Love this truck!

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Not very hard, unless you are carrying a heavy bag with one hand and trying to open/close the tailgate with the other hand.

Also, if you are married, you want to make it easy on the wife to use the truck ( including opening and closing the tailgate ) so that she won't complain too much about YOUR truck !! Trust me on that one............

DH
    Liked
    6 times

or have a handicap.
    MODS:

2.5" Radflo, 1" AAL, Added Heated Seats, Under Drive Pulley, K&N drop filter, Electric Fans, 285/70-17 Mickey Thompson, 1.75" Wheel Adapters, Rhino Liner, Under Coating, VSE w/Dynamat coating.

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted27606 View Post
    Not very hard, unless you are carrying a heavy bag with one hand and trying to open/close the tailgate with the other hand.

Also, if you are married, you want to make it easy on the wife to use the truck ( including opening and closing the tailgate ) so that she won't complain too much about YOUR truck !! Trust me on that one............

Let my wife use my truck?!?!?:crazy:
    2004 Tundra DC SR5, Blue Marlin, TRD Off-Road, Tow Package, All Weather Guard. The Rest is Stock and Damn it, I Love this truck!

Liked
    6 times
    Images

hahaha

Some of us like to walk on thin ice....

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Contacted Pop & Lock about the tailgate damper... here's the reply.

:cry:Currently we are only developing tailgate assist for Silverado & Ford, they
    have not been released as yet.:cry:

Sorry, Maureen
    White 06 SR5 DC - Blinglights bedlights
    Pop A Lock tailgate lock - TRD aftermarket LSD
    Custom Back Up Lights - Factory Fogs added
    Hellwig 7700 Swaybar - Bilstein HD shocks
    Firestone Sport Rite Air Springs w/onboard air