MAF cleaning

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAF cleaning

Liked
    1 times

Default MAF cleaning

I was planning to clean the mass air flow sensor on my truck. I have 56k on my truck i was just wondering if this was a good idea and what benefits i might see from it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: MAF cleaning

I cleaned mine and immediately notice a difference with the throttle response. It made the truck seem as though it was quicker off the line. Also suppose to help gas mileage.

Anyone know how often it should be cleaned?
    2003 TRD Supercharged Tundra Limited 4.7 4X4
    Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Shouldn't have any probs, just make sure you use maf cleaner...i used the CRC maf cleaner.
    2005 DC TUNDRA TRD LMT. 4x4

Better ask sombody.

Liked
    1 times

on the back of the CRC cleaner can it says to clean it as often when you change you air filter.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrainorange View Post
    Shouldn't have any probs, just make sure you use maf cleaner...i used the CRC maf cleaner.
    Can this cleaner be picked up at, say, Wal-Mart, or will I need to go to Advanced Auto or similar?

Liked
    0 times

I have an ongoing problem with my truck and have cleaned the MAF sensor half a dozen times. A Kia tech (goes around and troubleshoots all the problems the guys in the dealers can't figure out) told me I should just replace it, that cleaning won't do much but damage it. So I did, and it didn't completly cure the problem, but it made it about 60% better (more that cleaning ever did). And I got 17 mpg, and I haven't got that for 3 years or so.

I would say cleaning is good up-keep, and I will do it to the new one after a while probably. But a new one does a lot more. Re-man one on e-bay go for $85. They are done by Hitachi (OEM) same as the dealer one I got for $115.
    08' Tundra DC, SB, 5.7, 4x4, Sky Silver

3" Toytec lift in front, Diff drop, Ride Rite airbags. 305/65/18 BFG A/T's on 18x9 Ultra Magnus, Prodigy in tow/haul button cubby.
    2000 Tundra, AC 4x4 V8, Donahoe LT coils, TC upper arms, TC diff drop spacers, TC steering bushings, sway bar bushings, custom Deaver 11 leaf spring pack, Ride Rite Airbags, Fox shocks on rear, Viar compressor & 1 Gal. tank on frame rail with quick connect, ARB Air Locker, True Flow drop in filter, [/B]Jetchip (bought another ECU, so stock now), [/COLOR][/B]Downey ceramic headers, Custom Y pipe, 40 series Flowmaster, Centric Drilled and Slotted Rotors & Carbon Kevlar Pads, AR 16x8 Teflon Mojave's, 285/75/16 BFG A/T's, Snugtop Extra Vision top, Yakima racks and Space Booster, Brake Controller, PIAA Super Extreme bulbs, Clear Corners, Light bar w/ 2 Hella Rallye 4000 Euro Beam, GMC sierra fog lights in stock location, Optima battery, Sony mp3, powered Alpine speakers, 2-10's in a MTX Thunderform

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    Can this cleaner be picked up at, say, Wal-Mart, or will I need to go to Advanced Auto or similar?
    I got mine at Advance Auto. Lots of places carry CRC products.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Random Poster
    Liked
    22 times

CRC INDUSTRIES CRC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER, 11 OZ. (05110)

CRC INDUSTRIES CRC MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER, 11 OZ. (05110)

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I doubt walmart would carry it, but ya, most auto places should like everybody else said.

Just make sure when you clean it, disconnect the negative battery before you start anything. That way it will reset itself by the time you are done with your project. Also make sure you let that MAF sensor dry compleatly before you install it & start the truck back up again.

While your at it, you might as well get some t/b cleaner and do that as well

Better ask sombody.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundrainorange View Post
    I doubt walmart would carry it, but ya, most auto places should like everybody else said.

Just make sure when you clean it, disconnect the negative battery before you start anything. That way it will reset itself by the time you are done with your project. Also make sure you let that MAF sensor dry compleatly before you install it & start the truck back up again.

While your at it, you might as well get some t/b cleaner and do that as well
    My thought too (already have a can of t/b cleaner). Picked up some CRC MAF at Advance Auto... they get $7 for a can. They had a sign in the window for part-time help... thinking about it to help pay for GAS.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    My thought too (already have a can of t/b cleaner). Picked up some CRC MAF at Advance Auto... they get $7 for a can. They had a sign in the window for part-time help... thinking about it to help pay for GAS.
    Ya, gas sucks right now. You know its bad when the gas pump shuts off at $75 bucks and your tank is still not full...

Better ask sombody.

Liked
    1 times

ive been told by a tech guy i know and he said i should never touch cleaning my MAF due to damage to it. Is this true? i do see some mixed opinions on here. I would like to go clean mine today since its never been done......thoughts?
    2006 silverado with full bolt on's and its fast

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

I cleaned mine, it has been suggested as a remedy to poor gas milage. Some feel a pre-oiled air filter has some oil that gets on the MAF. it's not hard at all to do just make sure you don't strip the plastic that it screws into when your done. Good luck.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Never had a prob with cleaning mine, but i guess anything could happen

Better ask sombody.

Liked
    1 times

well i just cleaned mine with some CRC MAF cleaner from autozone, and i don't notice any better throttle response or performance. Will have to check on the mpg within the week or so.
    2006 silverado with full bolt on's and its fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast