Removed Dash Console to Change Heater Cable ?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removed Dash Console to Change Heater Cable ?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Removed Dash Console to Change Heater Cable ?

Hello all....my local Toyota dealer wants $600 to replace my heater control cable !!

The hot/cold knob does not go all the way over to cold (Blue side and stops within about 20 degrees of full

I think I'll try and replace my self but first does anyone know how to get the center console out of dash ?

Many thanks for your help...JB

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Removed Dash Console to Change Heater Cable ?

depends on what year... on my truck (06) there are 4 bolts in teh bottom of the center console and 2 bolts under teh cupholder (pull up on the cupholder and it will pop out).

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks a bunch for the quick reply...mine is a 2005...would this be the same as a 2006 ?

many thanks...JB

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JBRoberts View Post
    Thanks a bunch for the quick reply...mine is a 2005...would this be the same as a 2006 ?

many thanks...JB
    should be

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I would think all you would have to remove is the radio surround (2 philips above each vent, and a philips behind each control knob.) The cable exits through the firewall above the gas pedal.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

I would think, that it would be easier for you to remove dashboard, to see problem, instead of trying to replace a cable (I think you have a problem with mechanical part on heater core it self).
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

On the tundra, aren't the only components that would affect how the knobs move be 1) the control knob assembly and 2) the cable/valve? The cable just goes into the engine bay to open or close the valve. Maybe spray some wd-40 at the end of the cable in the engine bay? Could be corrosion on the cable from water/salt. It's a big job to remove the dashboard, and I really don't think it's necessary, unless I'm misinterpreting your problem.
    Last edited by dibble9012; 05-12-2008 at 10:58 AM.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Oh... I didn't notice he said HOT/COLD button.
    Well, I think he can try to disconect cable and check it first.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    0 times

Hello all....my local Toyota dealer wants $600 to replace my heater control cable !!

The hot/cold knob does not go all the way over to cold (Blue side and stops within about 20 degrees of full

I think I'll try and replace my self but first does anyone know how to get the center console out of dash ?

JB i've got the same problem on my 03 AC, on mine i have taken the radio surround off and traced the cable back up under the dash to the passenger side tucked behind the glovebox, where it passes thru the firewall. my cable is binding somewhere in that area but i have not since figured out how exactly to fix it or had the time to mess with it....hope that helps you some.....good luck and let me know how it goes!

Liked
    0 times

center console? do you mean radio surround? if what yuo need to remove is the a/c control panel under your rdaio here is what to do.

1.pull out all 3 knobs
    2.remove all 3 screws from under knobs
    3. flip you air vents avobe your radio all the way up and remove 1 screw from each vent, a total of 2 vents
    4.use a flat head scre driver to pry the center piece but put tape on the tip of it so you wont damage you radio surround piece. pry it slowly and it should come off. after this yo should have acess to you ac controls.

Liked
    0 times

I have a 2000 Tundra and had a similar problem with knobs not turning through the full range.

I didn't have to replace the cables, I just had to adjust the linkage. Two cables go into the temperature control knob. One works the A/C and the other works the water valve mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. A third cable goes to the vent selector knob, and the blower speed knob is fully electronic. The sheaths of the cables can be adjusted by gently prying open the claw clips at the end and sliding the sheath forward or backward depending on what adjustment you need to make to get the range you desire.

Inspect the cable ends if you are unsure of what I'm talking about. The A/C cable adjustment claw is accessible by removing the glovebox door. You shouldn't have to remove the lower dash, and you shouldn't have to remove the climate control center (unless you want to look at it out of your own curiosity).

And be sure never to FORCE the knobs, the gearing in the climate control center will break, and the unit is priced around $480 at a local dealer.

Liked
    103 times
    Images

What everyone said about removing the center radio face is so easy to do. This is where I realized how dumb our actual AC is. I didn't realize that when you don't have the AC on the coldest setting that you are actually mixing the warm air from the heater with the cold air so it isn't as cold. You would think it might decrease cycling the compressor or something a little more high tech. I think this is a 30 year old technique for decreasing the cold air

Since you have the face off you might as well replace the bulbs for the controls, I think I have replaced all of them at least once, wish I could have found led's when I had it off the last time
    Last edited by 5 Speed; 05-13-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks to all for advice. I popped the console and got to the heater cable. Sure enough the cable in the cab side where it hooks into hot/cold gear was buckled so it looks like I need a replacement.

Only one more question...how do you get the cable out of the plastic holding bit ? I unhooked the nipple part but can't figure how to get it out.

Also, are the Toyota dealers the only place to get a replacement cable ?

Many thanks...JB

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I'd try a junk yard or auto recycling center. I use one near me, pm me if you want their contact information. They're easy to deal with, they'll ship, and they have a couple tundra's on their lot right now.

Liked
    21 times
    Images

I don't know about where else to get one, but the push/pull cable was around $20 at my local dealer.
    First Gen > *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast