How do I find out if I have Limited Slip

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: How do I find out if I have Limited Slip

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How do I find out if I have Limited Slip

Everyone,

I know this may sound ignorant, but I am trying to change my differential fluid and I need to find out if I have LSD or a standard. What is the best way to find out....VIN number, labeling on the differential, etc. Thanks for your help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: How do I find out if I have Limited Slip

your the man, thanks

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Find some dirt on the road, step on the brake pedal, mash the throttle 'til tire spins, get out of truck, and see if there's two burnout marks. It's alot funner.

Supercharged Member FIVEPOINTSEVEN's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by redrdr67 View Post
    Find some dirt on the road, step on the brake pedal, mash the throttle 'til tire spins, get out of truck, and see if there's two burnout marks. It's alot funner.
    Yup...This is an easy way to find out...Or do it on pavement and see where the rubber marks are.
    300C SRT-8
    Cam'd, modded 440whp

"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I am the meanest motherf*cker in the valley"

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I have a limited 5.7 and the toyota listing sheet list the auto LSD but when I do a burnout I only have one tire spinning? WTF
    2007 DC 4X4 5.7 Limited Black with Red Rock Interior, TRD Dual Exhaust

Liked
    0 times

Easy if you have a 5.7, you have an automatic (electronic) limited slip. Your rear end is technically an open differential, because Tundra uses the ABS for the Limited Slip.
    Last edited by truckman261; 06-14-2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Tundra Truck Pro
    MODS: Line-X, Sirius, Dual Flowmasters

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TP121 View Post
    I have a limited 5.7 and the toyota listing sheet list the auto LSD but when I do a burnout I only have one tire spinning? WTF
    First if you're going to do a burnout make sure you disable VSC and TRAC and the Auto LSD. Otherwise you are just going to burn through your brakes quicker. Second you would only have one tire because at that point you've got and open rear diff and only one wheel is gonna spin.
    Tundra Truck Pro
    MODS: Line-X, Sirius, Dual Flowmasters

Liked
    12 times
    Images

moving to Gen 1

Beer please!
    CBTMA (Member and Founding Father: Est. August 15, 2008)
    Clicky>>> What The Heck is CBTMA
    Unknown - "The biological purpose of pain is to prevent the recurrence of stupidity."

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm glad this got moved to Gen 1, because there is some mis-information here for the older trucks.

DrunkDuck5 indicates he has a Gen1 2006; there are two ways to have limited slip: mechanical or electronic.

If mechanical lsd is present and working, putting the rear end on stands and turning one wheel will result in one of two things: Wheel will not turn at all (if truck is in park and driveshaft cannot turn) or, if trans is in neutral (and driveshaft can spin) the entire rear end will turn the same direction as if there is no differential. In effect, the left and right axle shafts are mechanically locked together via a clutch pack in the third member. The wheels will not spin in opposite direction as indicated. Of course, the easiest way to tell is the "lsd oil only" sticker on the rear of the differential.

Electronic limited slip is via the VSC system. A switch will be present on the dash, usually to the left of the 4WD selector.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drunkduck5 View Post
    Everyone,

I know this may sound ignorant, but I am trying to change my differential fluid and I need to find out if I have LSD or a standard. What is the best way to find out....VIN number, labeling on the differential, etc. Thanks for your help
    yes it does sound strange, you either are missing the label on the rear diff or you have not looked for it? It is on the back side and if it has been torn off, just get someone here to do a VIN# search for ya! just PM them your VIN # lotta great Toyota Proffesionals on TS and they will help when ya ask! or call any dealer they should run it for ya with not to much pain! So no window sticker or did ya buy used or just lost window sticker? It has it marked on sticker!
    I guess this all confused ya? http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...archid=2625020
    Last edited by HOGWILD; 06-14-2008 at 01:39 PM.