EasyLift by Hoppy (tailgate Mod) with pictures.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EasyLift by Hoppy (tailgate Mod) with pictures.

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default EasyLift by Hoppy (tailgate Mod) with pictures.

First off I wanted to say Thanks to dosequis driver for showing me his tailgate Mod on his Black Double cab and giving me the ideals on yet again to spend money.

Notice before you start you will need a 3/8 inch drill bit and a good Drill No Sears Pos drills are premitted dewalt all the way (haha) .

Hole (a) will be the located to the left side of the tailgate post (pict showen).Before you drill remove the tailights on the left hand side or cover it up with masking tape to prevent damages from the drill when you drill your first hole. Drill your holes above the pivot and use the guide supplied from hoppy(showen in pict below ) .

Video in action click on picture to view ...

Erik

Hole (b) will be located in the middle of the tailgate near the (Toyota) Printed on the bottom metal of the tailgate. Make sure this is hole is located away from the outside metal on the tailgate but close enought like the guide (supplied states)

Next with the help of a friend place the tailgate on the (b) torsion bar and link up both side's and it's Done. Your tailgate is similar to the 2007 Tundra and 80 percent of the weight is better handled. The best aspects on this mod is i can lower my tailgate with a single finger and it deters tailgate theft..

EasyLift by Hoppy video below

Last edited by Tundrav8yamaha; 07-26-2008 at 07:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: EasyLift by Hoppy (tailgate Mod) with pictures.

It's probably one of the bigger-bang-for-the-buck accessories that I've run across... especially if you shop carefully and find one on sale with free shipping.

Anyway, just a quick QC on your installation: the end of the rod extending into your tailgate needs to go in a bit further (see photo #1, below). Once you get it to the next bend the other end will run parallel with the edge of your bed opening and will also be able to go up and in a bit further... right to the yellow mark (see photo #2, below).

Two notes / heads-up: (1) As noted when we talked, it will create some wear marks on your tailgate hardware which you can see in the 2nd photo. Mine are about due for a paint touch-up (protective tape didn't work; it just gummed-up the works). (2) When you close you truck's passenger doors you may hear a rattling noise coming from the back of the truck: it's probably the Easy Lift.
    Last edited by dosequis driver; 07-26-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Exterior Changes: 18" BBS wheels * TRD sport grille * color-keyed rear bumper, mirrors, side body moldings, front bumper applique * fully debadged * Ground Force lowering shackles * LiftLips wheel wheel liners * Avery Stoneguard clear bra * ARE Z-Series shell with limo tint & keyless lock * Weather tight rear bed * Hoppy EasyLift tailgate assist. Interior Changes/Electronics: Aftermarket leather * Front window tint * Gentex mirror * Wireless back-up camera * GPS slide-out mount * ScanGuage II overhead console mount * Concealed CB in center console * Extra DC power outlets inside center console * USA Spec iPod adapter

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

I see your install pictures and noticed your correct . Otherwise I leaft it alone "as is" it doesn't have the rattle you speak of because it's a tight install but not too tight it affects the operations on the mod or the rod.

Thanks for your help

Erik
    Last edited by Tundrav8yamaha; 07-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Great mod indeed !

I installed the exact same one a few weeks ago. It is hard to do alone as you have to hold the

tailgate at a funny angle when re-installing it back on the truck with the new extra bar in.

But it is SO MUCH easier to use now.................
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    11 times

Guy, this looks cool, what did you do with the holes you drilled? Touch them up with paint, apply grease?
    Left as they are this is a good source for rust to start.
    Also if you can fined exactly where the rod is rattling you can possible put a piece of rubber around it to quite it.
    Mike
    “The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them” (Albert Einstein)
    Moderator Brake Forum

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I read the info on these EasyLift by Hoppie, and it said for '04-'06. Is your tailgate that much different than mine?
    BJ
    2003 Tundra 4.7L V8 Access Cab Limited 4WD
    w/ all factory packages, Black Onyx 202-rebadged. was stock 31K on 5/9/05, now 56K

Performance: DYNOed at 208 HP and 272 TQ
    * UNICHIP (broken) * AEM Brute Force Intake * AEM DryFlow Filter * K&N DryCharger * AirRaid TBS * JBA Titanium-Ceramic Headers * JBA Y-Pipe * Gibson CAT-Back Dual Extreme Exhaust * PulseStar Pulse Plugs * Fitch Fuel Catalyst System * Optima D35 Yellow Top * Argus Battery Bug * Fumoto F103N Oil Drain Valve * RP Oils *
    Exterior:
    * Extang Full-Tilt Tonneau * Bedrug * Topline Tailgate Step * Mr. Gille Upper & Lower Billet Grille * WAAG Bumper Guards, front & rear * HT Side Step Nerf Bars * AVS Hood Protector * WeatherTech Vent Shades * JDM Black Taillights * TurnSmart Solar-power Mirror Turn-Signals * Altec 48" Line-of-Fire LED Light Kit * Altec 53" Screamer Amber Side Marker LED * PIAA Backup/Work Lights * 35 % Tinting * Bully LED Third Brake/Cargo Light *
    Interior:
    * Gentex Auto Dimming Compass/Temp Rear View * Garmin's Nuvi 660 GPS * Scan Guage II * Passport SR7 Radar/laser shifter *
    Wheels/Tires:
    * Moto Metal M0951 Gloss Black 17 in. Alloys * SpiderTrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers * Goodyear Fortera TripleTred radials P275/60R17 *
    Suspension:
    * Bilstein HD Shocks, F&R * Hellwig Rear Sway Bar & Helper Springs * TCS Poly Steering Rack Bushings * Wheeler's Front Sway Bar Bushings * Timbren SES Kit, Front & Rear *
    Brakes:
    * TRD Big Brake Kit (front) *

BAD BONEZ BJ

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I had a 2003 Tundra before the 06 and the tailgates looked exactly the same. NOTE: I did not measure all dimensions and there might be a 1/4 inch of difference here and there !

The installation of the torsion bar is fairly universal as this thing can be installed on a Toyota truck, a Dodge, Ford ...etc.

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MEvang View Post
    Guy, this looks cool, what did you do with the holes you drilled? Touch them up with paint, apply grease?
    Left as they are this is a good source for rust to start.
    Also if you can fined exactly where the rod is rattling you can possible put a piece of rubber around it to quite it.
    Mike

I did touch up with paint before inserting the bar. And I put a dab of grease in each hole as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.