Conversion to CNG or LPG ???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Conversion to CNG or LPG ???

Liked
    0 times

Default Conversion to CNG or LPG ???

Has anyone had any luck converting their Tundra to run on LPG or CNG???

My Tundra stays parked in the garage because of the price of gas. I would really like to be able to "afford" to drive it again..... but at $3.00+ per gallon that is not going to happen.

Thanks
    2002 White 4x4 SR5 Ivan Stewart Tundra
    is the sky the limit ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Conversion to CNG or LPG ???

yeah my dd is 2002 civic cpe , 45K miles that i picked up in florida for $7K last month..all the good deals are in florida for some reason..had to buy my tundra there also.

does the conversion save any fuel dollars? i know propane with diesel is supposed to but natural gases are increasing in price like gasoline these days..

03 black tundra AC, cool stepside, 4wd, trd limited slip, 80Kmi, 17mpg@65mph.
    04 civic cpe, black, 36mpg@75mph, 160Kmi.
    6 or 7 motorcycles, 2 or 3 jeksi's (forced induction), great job, awesome dog, family healthy, way younger g/f, new 5car garage (soon with a hammock!),
    Life is Good.
    dav_dman@yahoo.com

Liked
    0 times

It appears that no one has done this ;(
    2002 White 4x4 SR5 Ivan Stewart Tundra
    is the sky the limit ?

Liked
    0 times

Hello,

I am having to really think back about 18 years on this but we used to do this in Australia alot.

The conversion back then cost about AUD$800 which included the tank and all the hardware for the conversion. It was a DIY job or fairly cheap install for a mechanic.

Alot of my friends had V8 pickups and they loved the LPG conversion. They would lose about 10% fuel mileage and a small decrease in power but the LPG was 1/2 the price of regular gas/petrol and the unit would pay for itself in less than a year.

One of the best things was it added alot of range as you now had another fuel tank. All the trucks I rode in ran very well they would run 4 tanks of LPG and then run a tank of regular to keep the valves lubricated IIRC.

I dont how much LPG is here in the US but back home we have one of the largest sources of natural gas in the world maybe thats why it never took off over here. I know some public transportation and utility vehicles run on it up in the North East.
    12 Tacoma DCSB Trd O/R
    09 Corolla S
    06 Tundra DC - sold

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I checked into this a while back for grins and giggles. It's cost prohibitive unless you do a lot of driving and you have ready access to Natural Gas/Propane etc. The conversion was popular back in the 70s for large working trucks when you couldn't get gasoline. You're probably looking at $7K or better for a good conversion.

You'd be better off keeping you Tundra for fun and buying a government auction car that already has the conversion.

Liked
    91 times
    Images

EDIT: and
    Last edited by Crazy Ivan; 09-03-2008 at 07:40 PM.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    0 times

My propane guy said conversion of a modern engine could be as high as $5,000.

Back in the day probably half the farm trucks around here ran propane, but they were carbureted and conversion was a lot simpler. I still see the occasional older pickup with a propane tank behind the cab, but it's rare.

I have a 1953 Farmall tractor that's run on propane most of its life. The tank was built in 1950 and still passes inspection. Very simple system. I also run a Miller Bobcat welder on propane and it was a fairly simple conversion, too, but I wouldn't mess with my Tundra. Seems the payback would be a long way off, even if everything worked as planned.

Liked
    0 times

I had an old friend that did it for a living through th 70's, ironically to a fleet of trucks owned by Ashland Oil. He said that engines that run on LPG can go forever due to the lack of contamination in the oil. It makes the whole EGR contraption obsolete. I guess that a good synthetic motor oil would never need changed, hypothetically anyway. These things taken into consideration, I guess it could offset the cost.

Liked
    0 times

There is a company where I live that does pro CNG conversions including an additional computer chip add on to adjust the readings of the o2 sensors for a correct mix and burn and also adjusts the injectors timing and open duration times. It is around $8000.00 for the ford, chevy or tundra. I am sure some of the cost is because it needs to be a certified conversion tested to make sure exhaust pollutants are not high etc. If you do your own patched togethor kit you run the risk of being impounded if it is not certified. They do many large trucks where such a conversion is more economical because of the high amount of fuel used. Pickups trucks are more rarely converted. If you do a search you will see earlier threads where this was discussed before. In Utah it is becoming more popular as our CNG costs are low. I expect costs to convert to lower in the next couple of years as demand will increase and more companies will be doing it. The Fed government will give a tax credit to help offset the cost if it is a certified conversion. More exact cost figures I do not have. Hope this helps.

Liked
    91 times
    Images

Here is a Tundra guy who actually sells manual how to do it right
    eBay Motors: How to install your CNG system. DIY manual natural gas (item 190248322556 end time Sep-06-08 22:02:51 PDT)

Not sure, how much system cost, but if its not that expensive I would do it.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

cngNow.com | Demand Natural Gas Now. Reading material?
    $2.60 a gallon in ABQ?
    Last edited by HOGWILD; 09-04-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Liked
    0 times

in south america (peru) they make the change for 1500 $ and gas tank included, gas lpg i think and they have plenty of gas stations, they fill up your cilinder for about 10 to 20 $

Liked
    0 times

From what I understand, its not as cost effective to do as it once was. Most people who do it today do it because they feel it is better for the environment. I don't know if it really is, but that's what I've been told.

I've heard it is $5k+ to do a conversion to a modern fuel injected truck. The price varies depending on the difficulty of the installation and the size of tank you install. The tanks vary from smaller tanks that sit where your spare tire goes to larger (50+ gallons) tanks that sit in your bed. There are other factors involved, but I don't know all of them. My father used to have a truck that ran off of LPG, but it was an older Ford Ranger. He did it because the 50 gallon tank he had allowed him to drive close to 1000 miles between fill ups.

If your really interested in doing this, you should talk to your local Motor Vehicles Department about it. A lot of states offer tax credits for converting your vehicle to an alternative fuel. They may also have a list of centers that can do the conversion for you.

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

Well almost all industrial lift trucks run off propane because it is a clean burning fuel. Back in the mid 80's the government police truck I drove had a propane conversion on it with a 26 gal tank in the bed along with a 50 gal bed mounted gas tank in addition to the stock 26 gal tank. The propane was directed via a switch mounted in the cab and the engine was carburated so I imagine the cost was relatively low to do this. However with all of that extra weight on a 4x4 powerwagon that little 318 was gutless. It couldn't even get out of its own way.

I would like to see hydrogen conversion kits become available for our trucks. Hell we've got water everywhere so let the electrolysis begin.
    2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror