Cheap ways to improve MPG 2006 Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap ways to improve MPG 2006 Tundra

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Cheap ways to improve MPG 2006 Tundra

Hi all,
    Just joined this forum and this is my first post.
    Just wondering if there are easy ways to boost power, so in turn I get better MPG.
    When I bought the truck "2006 Tundra Double Cab 4.7 4x4"
    I ran it for about 7500 with the standard oil. Then I changed it to
    Amsoil and I'll tell you what it's almost like I'm running on 9 cylinders instead of 8.
    It gave me .5 - 1 mpg more than the regular oil and I don't change oil or filter for 20,000 miles.
    I've used this oil in a few cars of mine and its awesome.
    But I'm looking for other ways like that that might help.
    Thanks,
    Please let me know,
    Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2955 times
    Images

Default Re: Cheap ways to improve MPG 2006 Tundra

Brian~

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of great information here. Take your time and search around for any topic that interests you. Chances are that it has been brought up and bashed around on more than one occasion!

I'd be REAL leery about assuming that a 20,000 mile OCI just because you are running a synthetic is appropriate OR safe for the engine. I'd hazard a guess that most on this forum would extend the typical 5,000 mile OCI with dino oil to 7,500 - 10,000 miles tops with a pure synthetic.

I'll let other more informed members sound off on the "power" issue.
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 09-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I don't trust any oil past 4K for traditional oil and 5K for synthedic. I was told it might not be so much the lubrication properties breaking down, but the acid buildup from combustion taht can accumulate. Hey, I need this truck to last 20 years and at least 350K.
    Oil is cheap.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Tips to improve your Gas Mileage
    most improvements to MPG are cheap and easy to do , lotta expensive ways to make it worse!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Ahh Got You Nervous Do I !!
    I've been running Amsoil for years now and I'll tell you what
    IT'S AWESOME.
    If you tear into one of these motors after 100k using Amsoil you'll see that
    you could almost eat off these things, compared to regular synthetics.
    This is a west coast racing oil that has been around for years.
    They use a filter that is by far the best out there . They recommended that I can go- I think 45k before oil changes just change the filter at 20-25k.
    Hell-- I run it in my wife’s Camry and the oil Toyota says to use is a 5-20w and with Amsoil it's a 0-20w and I can go 55k. This stuff is slick as snot. And look at this I'm not even a salesman for them I'm just an end user.
    I asked the head mechanic at the dealership about the gear oil for the rear and he told me not to use the Toyota brand and to use the Amsoil; why I asked and he said because I can go 500k without changing it again, I asked where can I find that oil and he replied we sell it here. So what's that tell you.
    The fully guarantee the engine if something was to go wrong because of their product.
    But I'll tell you from experience, I work for the railroad and 10-20% of the guys use it and we all won't go back. The wear tests are just too good when it comes to this stuff.
    I will tell you though I wouldn't put it in an older truck or car. A few of us tried to use it in our older vehicles all with more that 120k on it; well you couldn't kill'em but they leaked oil ever since because this stuff just loosens up everything.

Back to the original topic, please inform me in regards to boosting MPG.
    Thanks,
    Look up Amsoil and take a look,
    Brian

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Tips to improve your Gas Mileage
    most improvements to MPG are cheap and easy to do , lotta expensive ways to make it worse!

Reply With QuoteGot that right brother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by knsmilk88; 09-02-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Service Life
    AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is recommended for extended drain intervals in unmodified(1), mechanically sound(2) gasoline fueled vehicles as follows:
    • Normal Service(3) – Up to 35,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
    • Severe Service(4) – Up to 17,500 miles or one year, whichever comes first.
    • Replace AMSOIL Ea oil filter at the time of oil change up to 25,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first (other brands at standard OEM* intervals).
    • In all non-gasoline fueled vehicle applications, extend the oil change interval according to oil analysis or follow the OEM* drain interval.

Seems your numbers are off a bit but this is a quality product and to me there is no such animal as Normal Service and why people think there is I have no clue? This is the info on the 11.00 per Qt Amsoil and Severe Service which i classify just about every vehicle says 17.5K or 1 Year which ever comes first. The 7.00 dollar Amsoil Oil products are supposed to be changed sooner per their website and also have a 1 year change requirement. I concur this type of oil will increase your MPG but your theory of cheaper ways to achieve this have gone astray rather quickly given the price of Amsoil, cheapest at about 7 bucks a Qt or 50 bucks before shipping and tax?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Without perfoming an oil analysis on YOUR vehicle, all those extended service numbers are horse-poopie. I have no doubt the oil CAN go that long, but it would pay ten-fold to start out at say 10k miles and then have it tested. I run 15k intervals on my Dodge running Delvac and it tests out good even with pulling heavy 100% of the time. But I wouldn't assume 20k is safe right off the bat for any vehicle. A small leak-down or a little extra engine wear (granted that's a bad thing either way but it happens) could extraprolate the problem by extending the OCI.

The best way to save fuel on the Tundra is to slow down. Moderate acceleration, don't lug the engine, and 60mph is a sweet spot. I've gone from running ballz-to-the-wall on my 60 mile rural commute to keeping my speed around 60mph and have been averaging 18mpg. Up from 16mpg. Adds 5 minutes to a 45 minute commute. Saves $30/month in fuel.
    Last edited by skinny2; 09-03-2008 at 05:22 AM.
    '08 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (my DD)
    '05 Honda Odyssey (her DD)
    '03 Ram 3500 Cummins 6-speed dually (for haulin)
    '05 Tundra DC 4x4 (gone)

Liked
    479 times
    Images

Synthetic oil might help improve your gas mileage, but the improvement will be marginal.

The best way to improve mileage is to keep your engine tuned, keep your tires properly inflated, and slow down and obey the speed limit.
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8” Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I just looked up some of my specs: the Camry we just sold we used the ASM oil
    which is an 0-20W with an EAO-10 filter.
    I pay $5.95 per qt and I have written down 25k
    The Tundra uses the SSO oil and a EAO 57 filter.
    I pay $7.35 per qt.
    I have written down 35k on my notes for that oil.
    Both filters are good for 25k.
    Now that I've gotten back into my notes I'm recalling the conversation with the Amsoil tech dept.
    1 of the types of oil, I can't remember which can go a lot longer.
    BUT, It's my normal practice to change the Camry at 20k and the Tundra at 20k
    +/- 2k
    I don't tow anything or play with this truck though.
    I use it for 90% highway driving.
    But that's all here nor there. What I will tell all of you before you use something different is this: When it comes to the drivetrain and warrantee always and I mean always talk to the mfg of the product you are thinking about using before you use it. Do not go by what you hear in forums like this or what your buddy tells you on the weekends. Talk to them because they know what the product is designed for. For example 1 guy that got me into the Amsoil uses the transmission fluid by Amsoil which is fantastic, but, if I were to put that oil in my Tundra it would void my warrantee.
    So call call call the tech dept before you do any major changes to your baby!!

Good Night All
    Oh by the way
    What about my MPG thread
    Still looking for answers

Brian

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbilly View Post
    Synthetic oil might help improve your gas mileage, but the improvement will be marginal.

The best way to improve mileage is to keep your engine tuned, keep your tires properly inflated, and slow down and obey the speed limit.

Yes but marginal is something. A few marginals might equal a couple miles per gallon.
    Also, over the years I have tried 2 or 3 different kinds of synthetics and
    I saw the best improvement amsoil. I've seen better improvements in the larger vehicles compared to the smaller ones.

Brian
    Last edited by knsmilk88; 09-03-2008 at 07:28 AM.

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    668 times
    Images

Accelerate reasonably, keep speed between 55-70mph, coast when you have the opportunity, don't use cruise control in rolling terrain, keep tires properly inflated--not over or under, proper!--and don't install things on the outside of your truck you don't need...for example antennas, roof racks, luggage boxes, grille and light "guards", and other things that increase wind resistance and turbulence like stick-on rain guards...look at Weathertech if you want them, they're great and low-profile. Leave your tailgate on, but remove anything heavy you're not using regularly...like the back seat, it weighs 50# on my 00. Receiver hitch too, if you don't tow...60#+. Switch to fiberglass body panels. Use tires with low rolling resistance. If you use larger tires than normal, accelerate slower than normal. If you only use the truck for DD, don't run around with a full tank...use half a tank or less, because gasoline weighs approximately 6.3 pounds per gallon, so that's at least another 60# you don't need to be carrying.

That's all I got, I'm doing just about all of the above except no tailgate now either since the rear is in the process of getting a bolt-on tube frame, dropping the weight several hundred pounds further by way of ditching the bed. Dunno that I'll have a replacement for the tailgate.

The long-tube headers, u/d pulley, and unichip are fun but not used so much driving gently. I did notice a bump with the unichip, the other two are hard to gauge except during hard acceleration.

I have an electric fan going in soon, people have reported it helps, I'll find out soon enough.

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by DevinSixtySeven View Post
    Accelerate reasonably, keep speed between 55-70mph, coast when you have the opportunity, don't use cruise control in rolling terrain, keep tires properly inflated--not over or under, proper!--and don't install things on the outside of your truck you don't need...for example antennas, roof racks, luggage boxes, grille and light "guards", and other things that increase wind resistance and turbulence like stick-on rain guards...look at Weathertech if you want them, they're great and low-profile. Leave your tailgate on, but remove anything heavy you're not using regularly...like the back seat, it weighs 50# on my 00. Receiver hitch too, if you don't tow...60#+. Switch to fiberglass body panels. Use tires with low rolling resistance. If you use larger tires than normal, accelerate slower than normal. If you only use the truck for DD, don't run around with a full tank...use half a tank or less, because gasoline weighs approximately 6.3 pounds per gallon, so that's at least another 60# you don't need to be carrying.

That's all I got, I'm doing just about all of the above except no tailgate now either since the rear is in the process of getting a bolt-on tube frame, dropping the weight several hundred pounds further by way of ditching the bed. Dunno that I'll have a replacement for the tailgate.

The long-tube headers, u/d pulley, and unichip are fun but not used so much driving gently. I did notice a bump with the unichip, the other two are hard to gauge except during hard acceleration.

I have an electric fan going in soon, people have reported it helps, I'll find out soon enough.

-Sean
    Thanks Sean,
    ? What chip did you use and what can you tell me about the warrantee ?
    Does it void the MFG warrantee?
    How much is the chip and is it hard to replace?

Also what are these electric fans? What do they accomplish?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Last edited by knsmilk88; 09-03-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I just finished gathering the main parts for my electric fan swapout here yesterday, so I'll start on mine pretty soon. It basically involves removing the stock fan blades and mounting an electric version in front of the radiator, along with a controller unit. The point of that is to remove the load the stock fan puts on the motor. These fans are big in the custom mustang scene too and people report getting anywhere from 2-5 mpg increase, but as with most things like this, I'll believe it when I see it. The concept is sound though with removing the load, but you have to make sure the electric fan setup is reliable enough to not fail on you and leave you without any cooling method up front.

If you search on "electric fan", there are several threads on it. I think thus far, the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, because of it's reliability and high CFM output and a good controller module like the the Delta Controls FK-50P seem to be a good match.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by imjin View Post
    I just finished gathering the main parts for my electric fan swapout here yesterday, so I'll start on mine pretty soon. It basically involves removing the stock fan blades and mounting an electric version in front of the radiator, along with a controller unit. The point of that is to remove the load the stock fan puts on the motor. These fans are big in the custom mustang scene too and people report getting anywhere from 2-5 mpg increase, but as with most things like this, I'll believe it when I see it. The concept is sound though with removing the load, but you have to make sure the electric fan setup is reliable enough to not fail on you and leave you without any cooling method up front.

If you search on "electric fan", there are several threads on it. I think thus far, the Lincoln Mark VIII fan, because of it's reliability and high CFM output and a good controller module like the the Delta Controls FK-50P seem to be a good match.
    2nd ID baby '88-'89
    ? How much is that the Lincoln Mark VIII fan setup with the controll?
    Is it hard to install?

2nd to none

thanks,
    Brian
    Thanks,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.