Question My Hood won't open anymore. ??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: My Hood won't open anymore. ??

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default My Hood won't open anymore. ??

Hey everyone, the other day I attempted to open the hood to my '05 Tundra and nothing happened. I pulled the cable to the latch that is located under the dash with some pliers and still nothing. I can hear moving parts when I pull on the cable. I got under the truck with a flashlight and had a friend pulling on the cable but still could not see anything. My guess is that these cables are purposely hidden and are hard to get to for the sake of anti-theft.

Would anybody know a trick of the trade before I have to go spend a bunch of money to have someone else do it in 2 minutes?

I have to change my oil soon and can't even get my hood to open...weird.

Thanx, Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

Default Re: My Hood won't open anymore. ??

hi,
    there are many toyota tech's here.
    i'm sure they can and will help you.

but until than, i will take a look on my 05 double cab for you. to see if i can find a way for you.
    gorilla

Liked
    477 times
    Images

While your buddy is pulling on the release lever under the dash, take a peek through the grill and see if the latch mechanism is working. If you don't see any movement, the cable could be broken. If the latch is moving, but the hood doesn't open, the hood itself just might be stuck or jammed.
    Last edited by Salty_Dog; 09-10-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Grammar Fix
    Ride: 2001 Tundra SR5, 4WD, The Lean Mean Green Machine, Lift, Front: Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ Total Chaos Diff Drop, Lift, Rear: 1" Wheeler's Blocks, Wheels: Chromed Factory 4Runner Rims, 17", Tires: Bridgestone Revos, 285/70R-17, Performance: Unichip, JBA Titanium Ceramic Headers, Borla Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Optima Yellow-top Battery, "Powered by Decals" decal, Flux Capacitor, Brakes: Upgrade to 2004 Calipers, EBC Slotted/Dimpled rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Interior: Dog Hair on Back Seat, Coffee Stains on Console, Bling: Ivan Stewart TRD Grille, Westin Nerf Bars, Clear Corners & Eurotails, Debadged, Audio: Kenwood DDX512 Head Unit, Kenwood KCA-XM100V Satellite Radio Interface, Kenwood KCA-BT200 Bluetooth Interface, Polk Audio db6501 component speakers (Front), Polk Audio db651s speakers (Rear), Profile AP740 4-channel amplifier, Rockford Fosgate 8 Punch subwoofer (x 2) in Q-Logic enclosure, Profile AP700M mono subwoofer amplifier, Audiovox ACA200W Rear-view camera, Shark Fin Antenna, Other: BedRug, Viair 450C compressor, 2.5 Gallon air tank, Kleinn Pro Series 4-Trumpet air horns, Eye Candy: Hottie Wife in Passenger Seat, Security System: One very large Collie and a High-Energy Shetland Sheepdog who isn't that big, but makes up for it in Tenacity.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

I've had a reverse problem where my hood wouldn't stay closed.

Found out that the return spring for the release lever was either disengaged or broken, and the lever inside the truck remained in the pulled out position after opening the hood.

Pushing the lever back in the closed position allowed the hood catch to engage.

I still need to look into what went wrong...
    2001 SR5 Access Cab 4.7V8 4x4
    OEM: FJ Rims; bed-liner; alarm; running boards; all-weather mats; door sill protectors; 13WL brake caliper upgrade; refurbed power steering rack
    TRD: TRD coils; color-keyed mirror covers, embroidered signature mats; Bilstein shocks
    OTHER: Bridgestone A/T Revos; NGK Iridium IX spark plugs; Skid Row front skid plate; Fumoto drain valve; Vibrant resonator; Magnaflow exhaust tip; Form-Fit deflector; Brembo rotors; Trfytoy window latches; Undercover tonneau; Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover; Hidden Hitch; Cobra 21LTD CB radio; K40 magmount CB antenna; Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender flares; Dorman polyurethane steering rack bushings; Moog outer tie rods; Moog sway bar links
    PENDING: TRD Kazuma LSD; Hellwig rear sway bar

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanx to you guys who responded so quickly! I'll look again thru the grill to see if there are any moving parts while a friend is pulling on the release lever under the dash. Hopefully I dont have to start taking apart my whole front end just to get the hood open.
    Thanx, Jeff

Liked
    150 times

Try smacking the hood in the area over the latch while a freind pulls the lever. The hood can stick sometimes and this trick usually works unless something is truly broken. I have had to use this method to open stuck hoods many times over the years when I worked as a tech.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Yeah, we did some pretty good smackin' and shakin' on the hood but still wont give. It seems like all those parts I need to get to are very well hidden and not easily accessible.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

hi, honestly, i don't see a way with out removing some thing's to gain access to the area of the hood where the latch is. and if you do you will have to have long arms to reach the latch.
    ask a toyota tech guy here.
    reach out to them, i'd bet they have a secrete as to how to open it.

take it in for service a oil change. and have them do it.
    i'd bet they hav a way to open the hood. someone there within the service dept, knows how to open it. it might cost you a oil change but, they will find the problem. it need's to be fixed anyway. 1 way or the other.
    if you have to buy a new grill, and your truck is white ,i do have a almost new 1 with the chrome insert's and the toyota symbol and V8 emblem still in tack.
    i switched out to the TRD grill. if that helps.

if it was me, i would have cut the grill off.
    & now i'd have easy access to that latch.
    but i have another grill. LOL
    gorilla

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanx Gorilla! I thought of that, to just bring it into Toyota for an oil change and go sit in the waiting room with my coffee and donut and my fingers crossed hoping I would leave with my $30 oil change and an UNSTUCK hood latch. I'll probably try that first and see what happens.

I appreciate your time and expertise. I'll keep you in mind if I end up freaking out, destroying my grill and needing another one.

Jeff

Liked
    4 times

I had the same problem. I took the skid plate off got axcess from the bottom. I purchased a new cable for 29.00 from Toyota.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanx Snow Tundra! I'll check that out