What is the best battery I can get for my 2004 Tundra V8?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best battery I can get for my 2004 Tundra V8?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    110 times

Default What is the best battery I can get for my 2004 Tundra V8?

I will have had my beloved Tundra for 5 years this upcoming December and while I have not had a single battery related issue, I don't want to be stuck anywhere this winter because of the battery as it can get cold here in MA and in NH where I'll be snowmobiling.

What is the best battery money can buy me and where can I buy it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2945 times
    Images

Default Re: What is the best battery I can get for my 2004 Tundra V8?

1. Sears Diehard http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tive+Batteries

2. Walmart's Brand

It is my opinion that the Optima line, although of an apparent level of quality and touted on here like the best thing since sliced bread, just isn't necessary for the average vehicle owner. They are very expensive, and a battery that is supported by the brick-and-mortar retailer that sells it (Sears, Walmart, etc.) AND that said retailer is available everywhere, is more important.

IF you were a serious off-roader, then MAYBE the Optima line might be for you as they are constructed to allow placement in (almost) any configuration and will stand up to the tilts and rolls encountered on an offroad environment better.

FWIW: I have a Kirkland battery from Costco in my truck, and it has been perfect for over 4 years now.

My $0.02
    Last edited by Remmy700P; 09-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    2 times
    Images

That's entirely based on how much $$ you're willing to drop on it. The Odyssey's are superb, but they're not cheap. The PC1700T I installed a couple of years ago runs like a champ, and has cold cranked in below zero temperatures like a champ. The nice thing about these is that it's a combination high-crank + deep discharge, so you won't damage it if you drain it and it's got the added benefit of high crank amps. Like I said, they're not cheap. I paid around $230 for it, but they've gone up over the last few years.

# Sealed
    # 8-12 year life
    # Rated to -40 degrees
    # 143 minute reserve
    # 1700 cranking amps for 5 seconds
    # 1540 cranking amps for 10 seconds
    # 1355 cranking amps for 20 seconds

If you're worried about a battery failure, you may want to look into a dual battery setup. Just do a search on "dual battery" and there are quite a few good posts. I've got some pics in my profile of my dual setup.
    Waiter, how do you prepare your chickens?
    Nothing special. We just tell them straight out that they're going to die.

Base: 2001 Tundra - Thunder Grey | SR5 | TRD | 4x4 | HD TRD Coil Springs | Tow Pkg | Factory Spray-on Bedliner | RS3000 Security
    Mods: Mickey Thompson Classic II | Bilstein 5100 Shocks | Differential Drop Spacers | 930 Inner CV Boots | ProtechEZLift Limit Straps | Spintech Sportsman XL Muffler | Brembo Front Brake Rotors | Heavy Duty OEM Rear Drums | A.R.E. Z-Series Cap w/ Thule Rack | Stubbs Rock Sliders | Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar | 285/75/16 BFG All Terrain TA KO's | VIAIR 400C Air Compressor w/ 2.5 gal tank | Front clear corner lamps | Odyssey PC1700T battery | Optima Red Top 75/35 battery (backup starter) | Hellroaring 95300A Isolator/Combiner | Truspeed Calibrator
    Future: Winch Bumper | UCAs & Coilovers | RCD Lift | 4.30 Gears

The Friendly Dragon by the Sea Puffnstuff's Avatar
    Liked
    179 times
    Images

I personally use an optima but the exide orbital is also an excellent battery and is available through most interstate battery dealers.
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    0 times

Autozone Duralast, best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by KurtH; 09-11-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    2005 SR5 TRD Tundra Challenger steps, debadged finally
    http://groups.msn.com/CitizensAgainstIllegalAliens/
    www.fairtax.org

Liked
    0 times

Duralast batteries are good but warranty does not cover corrosion. Cleaning battery terminals becomes part of 5k maintenance.

2005 Tacoma AC 2WD 2.7L 5M

Leader of Group Evil DevinSixtySeven's Avatar
    Liked
    646 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thundra04struck View Post
    What is the best battery money can buy
    Optima, Exide, Odyssey, not necessarily that order.

My Optima is about seven years old and still doing well. The supposedly sealed, maintenance-free battery in my g/f's car burst last week and got battery acid all over the engine compartment. Blew the little vent covers off the battery, and separated the top from the sides. It sucked. I am not buying another "regular" battery, ever. When the Optima I have now hits ten years I'll replace it. I suspect it'll go in my second vehicle or my g/f's car seeing as how I plan to get a pair of Odysseys in the back of the truck in the near future.

But that is personal preference, YMMV.

For fifty bucks more than the Diehard you can get a red-top Optima. The like-OEM replacement battery for my g/f's car is almost the same price as that DieHard...for sixty bucks more I can get an Optima and not have to worry about exploding batteries during jump starts (never happened to me and hopefully never will), bursting batteries from lack of water in a "maintenance free" battery (like that Diehard...not knocking Sears, it's the type of battery!), or having to spend a long evening asking a buddy to drive me around while we R&R the car, including throwing baking soda all over the engine compartment.

You may never, ever have that happen. Me, I never, ever want it to happen again, so I'm buying one of the above three in the future, regardless the vehicle.

-Sean

GFX by FreedomEagle50
    1-Gen Tundra Offroad Technical FAQ Index
    Armor - Lift vs. Travel - Traction - Tire Fitment - Recovery - Lift Kits - Driving - Tires & Gears - CV Boot Mod
    Manual Hubs
    OB's cup size: 36DD

"some people will call you stupid but its worth a try because i know i also want one more inch."--SouthernTundraSC

Liked
    6 times
    Images

My take on batteries is simple:

If you want a long lasting battery that can accept shocks and physical abuse ( read OFF ROADING ) then get a sealed one like the Odyssey or Optima, Those use gell as chemicals.

the regular batteries use sulfuric acid, water and lead.

Buy the cheapest one you can get as they will all last about the same ( 3 to 5 years )

Marketeers have developed clever schemes to get your dollar:

you can get a $40 battery with a 2 year warranty or a $90 battery with a 5 year warranty ( which is pro-rated )

after, say, 20 years you will have bought and worn out 4 batteries and spent MORE $$ on the expensive ones..........

I know that as I used to deal with battery manufacturers directly and they told me that the inside of most car batteries are essentially the same, only the outside is different, Well, the outside will NOT affect the lifetime..........

My $0.02 worth

your mileage may vary
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    179 times
    Images

The optima battery is not a gel battery, it's comprised of six individually sealed spiral wound acid bath cells that can continue to operate if a cell dies. Specs & Tech
    RIP 2006 Tundra DC with: Eclipse AVN5500 Navigation System, Kicker IX500.4 driving infinity kappa 60.9cs door speakers, Kenwood KAC-X20 driving an infinity kappa 100.9w sub in sound ordnance bass bunker, UWS Black Deep Toolbox, Nasta SS Nerf Bars, Rugged Liner Bed Liner, AVS chrome bug shield, EGR in channel vent visors, Ballistic Enigma 20x9 wheels & Nitto nt420 285/50R20 tires, Hellwig 7697 & 7700 sway bars, Stinger SPP2150 Battery, Big 3 wire upgrade with 1/0 Raptor, Rancho RS5000 struts/shocks, Dynomax VT 17956 muffler, EBC Slotted Sport Rotors & Yellowstuff Kevlar pads, Russell SS brake lines, Cheetah GPS Mirror

Liked
    223 times
    Images

I have the Blue Top D31m Optima

For me, a walmart battery just won't cut it.

Then again, I have three large amplifiers to feed.

With my toyota battery, my head lights would slightly dim when I cranked it up.

Since the optima install, it has been awesome and holds the volts way up under high demand better.

I have a volt meter installed in the cab which is hooked right into one of the amps.

You can see the volt meter install in my avatar photo above
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92, Borla exhaust
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Actually, I think the electrolyte in each element is, in fact, a gel compound. But there is no sense arguing about that. That type of battery is excellent and can be installed upside down if need be. It will also last a long time, but it costs a lot more than regular batteries.

As far as some batteries getting white powder around the terminals it is easy to prevent: Oint each terminal with grease when you put the battery in and there will be no more white crud forming.

Let's not forget also that regular batteries emit Hydrogen gas during use, and even though they are called "maintenance free" the hydrogen comes for the water in there and the water level WILL go down after a few months. It is a good idea to pop the covers at every oil change and add a lil bit of distilled water in there where it is low. Your battery will thank you and last longer.....................
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    179 times
    Images

The link I posted makes it all quite crystal clear so you will know exactly what you're getting should you buy one.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Just get an optima red top. You just missed the $25 mail in rebate from optima.
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

Liked
    0 times

Autozone Duralast for me......No more Walmart Everstart batteries.
    Before you die........Take time to live!

2002 Tundra V8 4X4 Access Cab
    Truetrac limited slip / 265/75R16 LR "E" Revo's
    Rancho 9000 Shocks / Firestone RideRite Airbags
    Warn Trans4ormer Bumper & Winch
    Speedliner / 1.25" Wheel Spacers
    Tow a Woodmizer LT40 Super Hd Sawmill when working
    Haul an Outfitter Apex-8 Truck Camper when playing

Liked
    179 times
    Images

OPTIMA BATTERIES SAVE 25 PROMO
    It expires on 9-15-08 so go buy that battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast