Replacement Tailgate

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Replacement Tailgate

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Replacement Tailgate

While carrying a bunch of 12' Trex decking in my 04 Ltd AC, the load flexed and managed to bend down the corner (top left when closed) of my tailgate. It's not 'real bad', but definitely an eye sore. Metal seam is popped at the side where it was bent. Taking it to an authorized Toyota body shop, unfortunately their only solution was to purchase a brand new tailgate (~$500), plus new black paint, emblems, labor, and respraying the Line-X, for a grand total of $1250. That must be 20% of the truck's value nowdays.

Anyway, where can I get perhaps a used tailgate, preferably black? Where do you all buy used Tundra parts? It's been (thankfully) 15 years since I've had to go part hunting at a salvage yard.

Are there trustworthy online sources?
    I'm in Los Angeles if that helps.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Replacement Tailgate

I bought a used tailgate off of ebay a couple of months ago. They are a rear bird to find.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I got a price of 371 at my home dealer. List is close to 500 but many dealers will discount. You would need to look up the part on the internet for your local dealers. If they don't list the tail gait but have an internet part sales department, call them. Most internet dealers I use give about 30% off list. The 371 price was not even an internet parts department.
    03 Stratosphere Mica Stepside, 4.7 L, Supercharger, TRD Package, TRD Exhaust,
    Scion Head Unit 08600-21802,
    Custom leather heated seats 2 tone with TRD LOGO, Moonroof, ARE LID, ZR3 Laser Shifter, Denso IK22 .4mm Iridium Plugs, Scan Gauge 2,
    Rhino Liner, Die Hard Platinum P5 battery
    5.7 Killer

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
    ...authorized Toyota body shop, unfortunately their only solution was to purchase a brand new tailgate (~$500), plus new black paint, emblems, labor, and respraying the Line-X, for a grand total of $1250...
    Whoa. Let's say you get lucky and find a good junkyard tailgate for $250. You still gotta pay someone to get the dings out if it, then pay for paint, emblems, and Line-X. Have you saved anything?

Check with local, privately owned body shops that have been in business for a long time. They might be able to straighten the existing tailgate and do the balance of the work for a lot less money.

Also, if the damage is confined to the top rail, you might want to just cap it with a piece of diamond plate.
    Any fool can fix it right with lots of money.
    The cool thing to do is fix it right with the least amount of money.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

look on craigslist.... there is one here in Tampa (just for example I know it isn't close) for $200 with all hardware, emblems, etc.... paint for another $100 and you are $300 out the door unless you can bargain them down.

2004 - 2006 TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB TAIL GATE
    2006 DC SR5
    Bilstein 5100s F&R
    Wheelers 1.5" AAL
    285 Nittos on OEM Alloys
    Flowmaster Delta 40
    LUND Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau
    WADE in-Channel Visors
    Lil Boom under the seat compliments of RF
    Full LED conversion
    Nothing too fancy, just better than stock!

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market. You can search junk yards across the country for whatever you want.
    Silver Sky Metallic 06 Tundra DC X-SP

Mods
    Viper 5900 w/ Remote Start & Keyless
    JBA 2011S Headers
    Kenwood CD Player
    Sirius Sat Radio
    Memphis 250W Amp
    300W JL Audio Stealthbox
    ARE Z-Series Cap
    A Big Set of NUTS Hanging From the Hitch

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandinmytires View Post
    Whoa. Let's say you get lucky and find a good junkyard tailgate for $250. You still gotta pay someone to get the dings out if it, then pay for paint, emblems, and Line-X. Have you saved anything?

Check with local, privately owned body shops that have been in business for a long time. They might be able to straighten the existing tailgate and do the balance of the work for a lot less money.
    I agree. I don't usually buy from the junkyard because of the additional costs for completing the job.