Fuel Injectors Cleaning System

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Injectors Cleaning System

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Arrow Fuel Injectors Cleaning System

I have done a search and read all about cleaning the injectors using products like Seafoam. I have actually used it on my brothers truck and it must do something because I got so much smoke out of his tail pipe. While at the dealership getting warranty work done this week, I talked to the service advisor about the method they use to clean injectors. He says they disconnect your fuel line and connect it to their machine and then let your truck run on this high octane cleaner for 20 minutes. He had pictures of the before and after injectors, valves etc.. A lot of carbon is removed. So here are my 2 questions...
    1) Will this method work a lot better than Seafoam or similar cleaners?
    2) Will all the junk it removes hurt anything, like spark plugs? I assume you don't need to change the oil afterwards because it cleans the upper end of the motor.

My truck runs great but I know all this junk is building up. Also, the cost is $139 for the cleaning, substaintually more than at dealerships where they use one can of cleaner hooked to your fuel line and then pour another in your tank.
    03 Stratosphere Mica Stepside, 4.7 L, Supercharger, TRD Package, TRD Exhaust,
    Scion Head Unit 08600-21802,
    Custom leather heated seats 2 tone with TRD LOGO, Moonroof, ARE LID, ZR3 Laser Shifter, Denso IK22 .4mm Iridium Plugs, Scan Gauge 2,
    Rhino Liner, Die Hard Platinum P5 battery
    5.7 Killer

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Re: Fuel Injectors Cleaning System

Anyone?
    Custom leather heated seats 2 tone with TRD LOGO, Moonroof, ARE LID, ZR3 Laser Shifter, Denso IK22 .4mm Iridium Plugs, Scan Gauge 2,
    5.7 Killer

Liked
    95 times
    Images

I know there is a lot of different ways of doing it. I never done it on any of mine vehicles, and they run fine. My tundra got to 300K before I upgraded a lot of items in it. Even if I would keep all of original parts in my tundra, it still would run great up to date.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Liked
    0 times

Cleaning the air intake and throttle plate is more important than cleaning the injectors in my opinion. A dirty throttle plate has been known to cause a problem with the drive by wire system and throws a code that says the throttle body has to be replaced. If it were me, I would get a can of air intake cleaner and a clean rag and clean out the air intake. Also, get a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean the MAF while you're at it. If you want, put a can of seafoam in the tank, and you'll be good. For much less than $139

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by UnSub View Post
    I have done a search and read all about cleaning the injectors using products like Seafoam. I have actually used it on my brothers truck and it must do something because I got so much smoke out of his tail pipe. While at the dealership getting warranty work done this week, I talked to the service advisor about the method they use to clean injectors. He says they disconnect your fuel line and connect it to their machine and then let your truck run on this high octane cleaner for 20 minutes. He had pictures of the before and after injectors, valves etc.. A lot of carbon is removed. So here are my 2 questions...
    1) Will this method work a lot better than Seafoam or similar cleaners?
    2) Will all the junk it removes hurt anything, like spark plugs? I assume you don't need to change the oil afterwards because it cleans the upper end of the motor.

My truck runs great but I know all this junk is building up. Also, the cost is $139 for the cleaning, substaintually more than at dealerships where they use one can of cleaner hooked to your fuel line and then pour another in your tank.
    I posted this last weekend and didn't get many replies. Any more input would be appreciated.
    5.7 Killer

Veteran Member
    Liked
    50 times
    Images

The FI cleaner product that the dealer uses sounds a lot like Valvoline's Fuel Rail Cleaner. This is a very effective fuel system cleaner. But it's also a very strong solvent. Toyota also has another FI cleaner product in a small can that you pour into 1/2 tank of gas. This is also a very strong solvent...so much so that it states on the back of the can to use only in 1/2 tank of gas and use all of the gas within one week or fuel system damage may occur. What does this tell me? The products are effective and they work for the intended purpose. Can they be harmful? Yes. Will they get into your crankcase oil? Yes. Will this be harmful to bearings and engine seals? Yes. Should I change my engine oil and filter ASAP after the treatment is complete? Definately yes!!!!

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Toyota engines are very clean engines that don't build up carbon much at all. So typically there is no need to run injector/top-end cleaners through these engines. The GM vortecs are another story w/constant carbon issues. I've personally never torn an engine down and seen the amount of carbon on valves, pistons, intake manifold runners that is depicted in some of these products ads. I think they do what ever it takes to get an engine to build up significant carbon disassemble the engine, take photos, reassemble and run their product through and then tear-down and take photos again. Do no buy into their marketing hipe.

For carbon removal i'd stick w/Seafoam or use Chevron w/techron and use them sparingly. But unless you have evidence that carbon is actually effecting performance then i wouldn't add any products to remove carbon since there's always the chance it could damage the engine.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ICON View Post
    Toyota engines are very clean engines that don't build up carbon much at all. So typically there is no need to run injector/top-end cleaners through these engines. The GM vortecs are another story w/constant carbon issues. I've personally never torn an engine down and seen the amount of carbon on valves, pistons, intake manifold runners that is depicted in some of these products ads. I think they do what ever it takes to get an engine to build up significant carbon disassemble the engine, take photos, reassemble and run their product through and then tear-down and take photos again. Do no buy into their marketing hipe.

For carbon removal i'd stick w/Seafoam or use Chevron w/techron and use them sparingly. But unless you have evidence that carbon is actually effecting performance then i wouldn't add any products to remove carbon since there's always the chance it could damage the engine.
    How can Seafoam damage the engine?
    5.7 Killer

Liked
    7 times
    Images

WitchHunter Performance - Injector Cleaning & Flow Testing Services decent price if you pull them and send them to these guys? Local shop wants 35.00 per injector & labor for R&R? Also does not include complete system cleaning! If injectors were really old i would get new ones but 18.00 bucks to service ea one, this would be way to go or find someone local that could do it reasonable! I think in tank additives like Techron every other oil change should keep system clean?

Liked
    2 times
    Images

"How can Seafoam damage the engine?"

If you allow too much to be ingested by a vacuum hose you could hydrolock the engine. People have done it. My point is to just be careful w/what you use to clean/ decarbonize an engine. I know from experience. I cooked an engine in a Chevy car when i had to remove the intake manifold i found tons of carbon and crap in the engine due to massive oil change neglect(previous owner not me) and thinking one of the engine flushes would work wonders. Well it dislodged so much that the pickup screen got clogged, starved the engine for oil and it went to the bone yard. Not the exact same situation but i'm just saying be cautious of what goes in an engine and how much.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    0 times

I used to run Chevron gas until they added up to 10% ethanol to it with a bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner in a half tank of gas every oil change. Now i still use the Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner, but use Shell gas.(It doesnt have the sticker on the pump.) The Fuel Injector Cleaner is hard to find., but the Chevron Fuel System Cleaner is not. O'Rielly's is about the only place to find the cleaner where I live.

Liked
    0 times

10% ethanol is a good enough organic solvent, but if it will make you feel better use the Chevron with Techron fuel injector cleaner.

Liked
    3 times

You probably don't need to use it, but if done properaly it won't hurt. Or, you could just use some water, or ATF. There were ways to do this before Seafoam was on the shelfs.

Chances are you don't have much carbon build-up but this may help clear a little bit and clean out your injectors a little bit.

Just suck some in through a vacuum line and that'll do the trick. I wouldn't add it to the gas because then it has to pass through your fuel pump and fuel filter. I wouldn't want to mess with those parts.
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hugemoose View Post
    You probably don't need to use it, but if done properaly it won't hurt. Or, you could just use some water, or ATF. There were ways to do this before Seafoam was on the shelfs.

Chances are you don't have much carbon build-up but this may help clear a little bit and clean out your injectors a little bit.

Just suck some in through a vacuum line and that'll do the trick. I wouldn't add it to the gas because then it has to pass through your fuel pump and fuel filter. I wouldn't want to mess with those parts.
    Use some water for what?

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by gquenstedt View Post
    Use some water for what?
    It will basically do the same thing as seafoam. You would just pour A LITTLE BIT down the throttle plate, or through a vacuum line. It will help to clean out the carbon in the engine. Not that I really endorse doing that, but that is was a technique for removing carbon build-up before seafoam was around.

But honestly, with the efficiency of today's modern engines they probably don't build up much carbon at all unless you baby it for 50,000 miles and never take it above 2500rpm.

Just remember, A REDLINE A DAY KEEPS THE CARBON AWAY!
    David~2001 Toyota Tundra 4X4 TRD SR5~SSautochrome headers~Single 2.5" exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 series delta flow muffler~K&N FIPK intake system w/True-flow filter~ASP underdrive pulley~Custom tuned Unichip (thank you Johan)~Powertrax No-slip~Bilstein 5100 front and rear w/ Deaver 10 pack~Diff breather mod~255/85 BFG M/T on Wheelers Black Steelies Type B~Custom Rocksliders~Skid Row front skid plate~Custom Transfer case skid plate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast