Best exhaust upgrade

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best exhaust upgrade

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Best exhaust upgrade

I want to upgrade my exhaust with a new muffler and possible larger diameter tubing from the muffler to the tip. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Best exhaust upgrade

there are probably 8 thousand threads on this forum, and you really should use the search feature of the board. However i think the best setup has been to not veer far from stock tubing and a flowmaster 50 series muffler. Magnaflow, borla, basani all make full kits, but you are throwing your money away on these kits. Not to say they are not good products, they are just super expensive for the gains you can expect. Purchase a muffler and have your local exaust shop install it.

Liked
    0 times

order the ssautochrome y pipe and run 2.5 inch pipe through a 2.5inch cherrybomb glasspack or muffler of your choosing and then put a turndown before the axle. sounds great is cheap and you get a nice lil boost in the 1/4

Sean
    2001 Tundra 4.7L i-Force V8
    True Flow filter, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, URD MAF calibrator, Magnaflow cats, Jet Accuspeed, NGK Iridium plugs, Royal Purple Lube, ASP Underdrive pulley, SSAUTOCHROME headers and Y Pipe, GM 12 Bolt Rear Axle, Yukon gear 4.56's and Heat Treated axles, Rear Disc Brake swap, Moser Bearing Support Diff cover and 1310 Yoke, Mark Williams Enterprises Bearing cap, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 5100 front shocks, Pro CompMX-6 12 InCh TrAvEl Rear Reservoir Shocks, Daystar AAL, Mb Blintz 16 inch wheels, 285-75-16 front 305-70-16 rear NITTO DUNE GRAPPLERS, 2006 Big Brake Upgrade, Debadged, Custom black grille and emblem, PIAA Lights, Red Hoses, Infinity Speakers, Sony XPLOD head unit w/ Bluetooth, 2 KICKER S8L5 subs powered by 800W Xplod Amp

15.56 in the 1/4 before Axle number 3, 305's, MAF calibrator, and cats
    0-60 6.2 seconds

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

ooh, dear god, NO!!!!!!!!!!! ssautochrome. unless you want to save money, not made with quality.
    you have 2 real choise's doug thorley or JBA headers. use only oem gaskets.
    than pick the sound you like. loudest pick there smallest muffler. many have gone witha bigger size muffler only to wish they changed it to a smaller 1 or changed it asap.
    now magnaflow, flowmaster, borla, etc
    DO NOT , change the y pipe!!!!!!!!
    dual pipes out the rear or side's.
    no resinator
    gorilla

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Gorilla could you tell me why you do not recomend changing the y pipe??/

Veteran Member
    Liked
    46 times
    Images

I installed a Bassani dual split side exhaust back in Feb 2001 and couldn't be happier. I think getting rid of the Y pipe (mine was already rusting with 30K) and resonator is a must for a Tundra V-8 exhaust. Always remember that you get what you pay for, and the Bassani is not short on quality or performance in any way. I honestly think it will outlast the truck.

BTW- it's a really nice setup with the JBA headers I had installed last year.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

hi, according to my professional exhuast shop, he does race car's, and all type's of super charger and turbo exhaust's. told me there is a good reason for that pipe to be bent in the way it is. back pressure. without it, belive it or not you will loose power.
    since he is the owner and is the expert, and does work for so many performence shop's i trust his opinion.
    and from my mod's i did and my dyno result's, it has proven that my mod's added up came very close to each and every mod's claims of HP.

belive me i was going to buy the pipe from jba it was only 250+ if i remember correctly.
    he said he could also make his own, but since i trusted him ,i didn't do it.
    and my proven results have been dead on.
    volant cai, jba headers, no resinator, cat back magnaflow with dual tail pipes, and the UNICHIP = 55engine HP
    the 2 best HP gain's are the JBA headers, & the UNICHIP
    hope it help's,
    gorilla
    Last edited by GORILLA; 12-01-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Liked
    0 times

When I ordered their stuff I did a leak check and checked the flanges and everything was good on it, I guess I got the gen 2 stuff because the o2 sensors fit great. Gorilla is correct though, you absolutely must use the factory Toyota gaskets. The Autochromes are great for the price, trust me I would have gladly ordered the thorley ones if I had the budget. The Toyota y pipe is awful they just smashed two pipes together and slipped another one over it. That equals restriction to the max. I love not having my resonator on it is loud but manageable not too much drone but it's there. If you can show me 1 piece of dyno data saying the stock smushed y pipe is better than aftermarket then I'll believe you but until then I refuse to believe that flow is bad. That is not an attack on you, I just find it hard to believe that. The other thing to remember when making an exhaust system on a light liter V8, is that too large of pipe equals slow exhaust movement and in turn restriction. That's what the exhaust guy was meant by that. Restriction may be good to some extent but by that reasoning high flow cats would also be bad. The factory y pipe wasn't designed like that to maximize power it was to lessen costs.
    2001 Tundra 4.7L i-Force V8
    True Flow filter, Cherry Bomb Glasspack, URD MAF calibrator, Magnaflow cats, Jet Accuspeed, NGK Iridium plugs, Royal Purple Lube, ASP Underdrive pulley, SSAUTOCHROME headers and Y Pipe, GM 12 Bolt Rear Axle, Yukon gear 4.56's and Heat Treated axles, Rear Disc Brake swap, Moser Bearing Support Diff cover and 1310 Yoke, Mark Williams Enterprises Bearing cap, Camburg UCA, Bilstein 5100 front shocks, Pro CompMX-6 12 InCh TrAvEl Rear Reservoir Shocks, Daystar AAL, Mb Blintz 16 inch wheels, 285-75-16 front 305-70-16 rear NITTO DUNE GRAPPLERS, 2006 Big Brake Upgrade, Debadged, Custom black grille and emblem, PIAA Lights, Red Hoses, Infinity Speakers, Sony XPLOD head unit w/ Bluetooth, 2 KICKER S8L5 subs powered by 800W Xplod Amp

15.56 in the 1/4 before Axle number 3, 305's, MAF calibrator, and cats
    0-60 6.2 seconds

Liked
    123 times
    Images

My "y" Pipe was removed a long time ago.
    New one custom made at local shop.
    Pictures in my album.

For What it is Worth - Truck Never Ran Better
    SR5 Double Cab 4x4 De-Badged
    Bilstein 5100 Adj Front Shocks Set at 1.3" Inside TRD Coils
    1" Frt Diff Drop - Front & Rear Timbens
    Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks
    JBA HEADERS
    Removed Factory "Y" Pipe - MagnaFlow Dual in & Dual out Exhaust
    265/70/17 LTX MS Tires
    K&N Air Filter
    ScanGaugeII
    Lifted Seats
    Bazooka Sub

tire size chart link
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...hart-chart.xls

Liked
    1 times

About the Y pipe thing sure it make sence about the back pressure, but then why is is only crushed on one side ?? the 1st day i went under my truck i wanted to sawzall that thing, personally for good back pressure i wont go with Flowmaster, i would choose magnaflow or corsa is you can find the muffler alone with the JBA headders and Y pipe

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I have Doug Thorley headers, high flow SOS Y Pipe and a Doug Thorley cat back 2.5" exhaust. Truck sounds great and never ran stronger. No loss in bottom end torque at all. For those worried about the loss of back pressure hurting torque, don't forget there are still two cats still on each down pipe. I don't think the stock Y pipe was ever designed with exhaust gas velocity helping torque in mind. I believe that this a classic example of accountant engineering at its best...How do you get two down pipes to join into one as cheap as possible.

Liked
    0 times

Has anyone tried a JBA muffler?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

the reason i asked about the y pipe is because when i considered a new exhaust i looked at the factory y and thought in was crushed in half.I removed the y and ran 2 1/4 from each cat to a two in, one out muffler.from cats 2 /14 in and 2 1/2 single pipe out,over the axil and exiting where the old pipe was on the side. no y no big muffler and no resonator.it runs good to me

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I know for the Tacos URD has a Y-Pipe that has been proven, but I would not mess with anything but the muffler unless your willing to go whole hog like Gorilla did. He has a good setup but as he will tell you it cost a lot of money.

I look at exhaust as a musical instrument. Performance can be had but again at a huge cost per horse.

RockyMT Ray over in the towing section of this site has some good info on what makes our trucks tick on an everyday level. His method is JBA headers and gibson muffler with stock everything else.

I just swapped my muffler (see link in my sig) and added faux duals from the muffler back. I did it mainly for sound.

Don't worry about bigger pipes after the muffler but I would suggest bigger tip(s).
    In my experience you will get a deeper more mellow sound with a nice long tip with a large diameter. I went with a 12" long 3" diameter tip from magnaflow. If I were to do it over again I think I would gotten a custom made tip from the exhaust shop that was longer and 4" in diameter. Take your pick on mufflers but I think magnaflow sounds the best on our trucks followed by borla if you want to pay that kind of money.

Glasspacks were fun but too loud and I lost low end.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by USAFTUNDRA; 12-02-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Supporter
    Liked
    4 times

bcrook, I've owned two Tundras; 2000 2wd ( JBA's, K&N, sway bar, dual exhaust) and now a 2005 4wd DC (K&N and duals). If you are going with just muffler try a Dyno Max Super Turbo from Summit Racing (muffler is 21" long, 9" wide and 4" thick) Nice rumble, no inside resonance. Or you can go the way I have twice. Buy a 2" dual in/dual out catalytic converter from JC Whitney ($130), put this in place of the "Y" pipe, the run 2" or 2 1/4" pipe to the muffler(s) ($65 each) mentioned earlier and run where you want it. On my 2000 it was duals to one side and on the 05 it is a tip on each side. If you order the mufflers and get a good shop to do it for you, depeding on location maybe $500ish for the whole set up.....It works for me and sounds great.....good luck, CSM-H

PS: there are many threads about going too large with the pipe diameter for this engine (4.7 basically a 283) smaller is better....

Quote Originally Posted by bcrook7602 View Post
    I want to upgrade my exhaust with a new muffler and possible larger diameter tubing from the muffler to the tip. Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast