Best year of 1st gen Tundra?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best year of 1st gen Tundra?

Liked
    0 times

Default Best year of 1st gen Tundra?

Hi, in your opinion (actual Tundra owners), what is the best year of 1st gen Tundra and why? I am really interest in getting a 4wd Tundra AC and have been checking out CL everyday. Tks.
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Best year of 1st gen Tundra?

The '05/'06 had a new 5-speed transmission and they added VVTI (variable valve timing w/intelligence) to the motor, increasing the horsepower and torque. Overall, I believe that there were less problems with the later years for the gen-1 trucks (brakes, transmission). Not that you can really go wrong with any year.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

The 05-06 tundra is the best not many issues if any there really well built ! I would get a double cab you might like it better my 06 ride smooth as can be and I go on many road trip and I haul a load every so often. Power it pretty good it would have been nice if toyota could haved add a bit more but the 271hp gets the job done well.
    2006 Tundra Double cab SR5 4x2 4.7L V8:laughing:

Liked
    0 times
    Images

2006 of course.... and phantom gray is even better lol
    2006 DC SR5
    Bilstein 5100s F&R
    Wheelers 1.5" AAL
    285 Nittos on OEM Alloys
    Flowmaster Delta 40
    LUND Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau
    WADE in-Channel Visors
    Lil Boom under the seat compliments of RF
    Full LED conversion
    Nothing too fancy, just better than stock!

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    20 times

hi, 2005 & 2006 are exactly the same.
    don't be fooled into thinking the 05 has more horsepower. it doesn't. in 2006 a new set of calulations to calabrate the hp & Torque came out, therefore the drop.

also consider a drop in every year before the 2005 to.

the reason, it was perfected, and has the 4.7 VVTI V8 with the most of everything. better brakes, etc.
    from the 1st year.
    good luck,
    gorilla

Supporter
    Liked
    86 times

I'd say 06, but not enough to justify paying more for it than an 05. I like the AC for space reasons (smaller), but seldom have anyone riding in back for long distances.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    20 times

hi, come on guy's the 05 & 06 are exactly the same.
    and if you really want to go there, buy the double cab . it has way more space, and a 6' bed. and a real full roll down window.
    gorilla

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

I like the 02 the last year it looked like a real truck. When 03 came out with the complete plastic front end it looked like a camary.
    youvebeenkumped likes this.
    At least they have circled the problem.

Liked
    8 times

My personal preference is the 05-06. I have had them all (except 03 and 06 so far). Through the earlier years they made minor upgrades almost every year, even if just minor. The brake, transmission, and exhaust issues were worked out by 03. 03-04 were pretty much the same; they had the glitches all worked out, got the new facia, but no drivetrain upgrades. If you are considering a double cab, don't even bother with an 04. Not that the truck was a problem, it was just kind of a misfit year. It was the bigger, heavier truck, but had not yet received all the upgrades it needed (for example, the VVT-i, 5 speed tranny, standard ABS)

I personally haven't really had any issues with any of them, other than brake and exhaust nightmares on the 2000. Both my 2000's, my 01 and both my 02s had 02 sensors go out on them, but so did my 04. Luckily, Toyota knows that the 02 sensors are junk and covers them up to 90k miles (and further if you are really nice to the service manager)

05-06 Access cabs are pretty tough to come by. I find that about 90% of the 05-06 4x4 V8s are double cabs at the auto auction I go to. (Since I have access to the auction, I tend to go through trucks quite quickly)
    2007 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 5.7 TRD SR-5 (Mine)
    3" Above Coil Front Spacer, 1.5" Rear Block
    Nitto 295's on OE TRD wheels
    GM Style Tow Mirrors

2008 Sequoia Platinum (Hers)

Previous Tundras: 00 Ivan Stewart, 01 AC SR-5, 02 RC, 02 AC SR-5, 02 AC Limited, 04 DC SR-5, 05DC Limited

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I really like my '01 4x4 SR5 Tundra regular cab!
    At 160,000+ miles it still starts and runs like a dream, so smooth with acceleration - transmission shifts seamlessly, so powerful ,esp. after installation last year of the TRD stainless steel dual side exhaust, which brings out a real nice rumble as I accelerate, and when I start it up.
    The '01 Tundra truck is incredibly fun to drive with the installation of the Hellwig sway bar and Wheeler's front sway bar poly bushings (those squeek a bit - only complaint), and also I don't have any ABS braking nonsense to deal with in the hard stops and on snow (very dangerous feature that should never have been implented IMO). The later 1st generation Tundra has ABS standard (which I don't like on my '06 Tacoma).
    I have real chrome bumpers instead of the plastic variety *Turtle Wax rubbing compound does a great job of shining them up (and anything chrome) and removing light rust*!
    I have gone through up to a foot or more of snow with the addition of the Bridgestone Blizzak tires, and up hilly wet & icey hills that you can not even stand up on without falling down and sliding down the hill!
    2001 Toyota Tundra 4x4 SR5 reg. cab, V-8 auto. imperial jade green with matching Astro-cap w/overhead racks
    Hellwig rear ASB, Wheeler's poly ASB bushings, H&R 2" leveling progressive coils, Bilstein HD yellow/blue shocks, Husky liners, drop-in Toyota bed liner, TRD Dual Side exhaust, StubbsWelding rocksliders, red 48" Hi-Lift Jack, U-Haul hitch, receiver shackle, SkidRow front/trans/t-case skidplates, POR 15 and ChassisCoat Black frame restoration, 265/70R/16 BF Goodrich M/S tires on Tacoma TRD wheels

Liked
    0 times

The company has a 2006 Double cab SR5, which I like the spacious cabin, and the power, but it is very big, it stuck out to the side walks of my drive way when I park it in my house. Besides I really like the access cab look, even with Tacomas.

Now that I know access cab is only available in 4.7. Please keep the feedbacks coming. Tks.

The company truck:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Saw this one on the street yesterday, it's a 4wd, black, perfect truck.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD

05' Tundra (Tun-Tun) netrickyaz's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Images

well yor driveway must be pretty small the access cab is only 12 inches shorter then the double cab so if it sticks out less then that access is way to go mine fits in my driveway and i could put like a beetle behind me still, it also fits nicely in my garage with room to walk around front and back and that is including the water softner in front of my truck
    2005 Toyota Tundra Blue Steel Metallic (SR5 Access 4.7L i-Force V8 with VVT-i)
    ( De-Badged, K&N 77 Series Intake With Painted Tube (Wrinkle Black)17" Limited Rims with Good Year Wranglers (265-70-17s), V-LEDS 5000k Hi/Lo Headlights, V-LEDS 5000k Fogs (as DRL), Blacked Out Headlights, Tinted Side Markers, Black LED Tail Lights, Black Side Molding, Black Billet Grille, Kenwood Deck, Infinity Speakers, Alpine 5-Channel Amp (Doors), 12" Infinity Sub(Custom Box), Infinity Mono Amp (Sub)
    (Future: 3" Lift Kit, Magnaflow 22" Single-Dual Exhaust)

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

AC will also have a tighter turning radius due to the shorter (17") wheelbase. Plus they should be quite a bit cheaper than a DC....looks like about a $3,000 difference according to the books.

'06 would likely be the best bet reliability wise. Anytime you have a more mature model, they'll have worked out more bugs. I've had my '05 back to the dealer once for the ball joint recall. My only complaint with Toyota is all the dealers around here suck ballz. Glad I've only had to go back once....I do the maintenance myself.
    '08 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (my DD)
    '05 Honda Odyssey (her DD)
    '03 Ram 3500 Cummins 6-speed dually (for haulin)
    '05 Tundra DC 4x4 (gone)

Veteran Member
    Liked
    3 times

what is the best year of 1st gen Tundra and why?
    All depends on how you look at them and what you consider to be better.

00-02 uses different front calipers that 03-06
    00-early 04 use Japan built 4.7 engines
    00 Tundra need transmission fluid changing at 32,000km
    01-02 Tundra needs transmission fluid changing at 48,000km
    03-06 Tundra needs transmission fluid changing at 96,000km
    00-04 4.7 use aluminum intakes
    05-07 use plastic intakes.

Transfer case fluids.
    00-02 fluids interval at 48,000km
    03 fluid at 32,000km
    04-06 fluid at 64,000km

Spark plug intervals get longer in later builds.

Engine coolant need interval get longer for later model years
    Rear diff fluid intervals get longer as well.

00-03 Tundras use mechanical limited slip differentials
    04-06 Tundras use automatic limited slip differentials (A-Trac I believe)

03-06 CANADIAN spec Tundras use mechanical limited slip diff (as far as I know)

05-06 has side air bags. (not available on Canadian spec models if I remember correctly)
    00-04 use seat anchor covers
    05-06 seat bolts are exposed.

So there are many differences that are mechanical and service type. Some believe that shorter intervals are better than longer while others believe the other way around. The early model Tundra use more Japan sourced parts than the later.

Based on canadian spec maintenance guides.
    Last edited by pagemaster; 01-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I have the '03 year model and really like it. No problems whatsoever, but if I were to upgrade, it'd be to the '05/'06 even though I don't like the changes that Toyota did to the fender flairs and mud flaps. Made the mud flaps look like a cheap afermarket slab of rubber (to me) instead of the contoured look and fit of the earlier models. Just a cosmetic thing I know, but I'm picky.

BJ
    2003 Tundra 4.7L V8 Access Cab Limited 4WD
    w/ all factory packages, Black Onyx 202-rebadged. was stock 31K on 5/9/05, now 56K

Performance: DYNOed at 208 HP and 272 TQ
    * UNICHIP (broken) * AEM Brute Force Intake * AEM DryFlow Filter * K&N DryCharger * AirRaid TBS * JBA Titanium-Ceramic Headers * JBA Y-Pipe * Gibson CAT-Back Dual Extreme Exhaust * PulseStar Pulse Plugs * Fitch Fuel Catalyst System * Optima D35 Yellow Top * Argus Battery Bug * Fumoto F103N Oil Drain Valve * RP Oils *
    Exterior:
    * Extang Full-Tilt Tonneau * Bedrug * Topline Tailgate Step * Mr. Gille Upper & Lower Billet Grille * WAAG Bumper Guards, front & rear * HT Side Step Nerf Bars * AVS Hood Protector * WeatherTech Vent Shades * JDM Black Taillights * TurnSmart Solar-power Mirror Turn-Signals * Altec 48" Line-of-Fire LED Light Kit * Altec 53" Screamer Amber Side Marker LED * PIAA Backup/Work Lights * 35 % Tinting * Bully LED Third Brake/Cargo Light *
    Interior:
    * Gentex Auto Dimming Compass/Temp Rear View * Garmin's Nuvi 660 GPS * Scan Guage II * Passport SR7 Radar/laser shifter *
    Wheels/Tires:
    * Moto Metal M0951 Gloss Black 17 in. Alloys * SpiderTrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers * Goodyear Fortera TripleTred radials P275/60R17 *
    Suspension:
    * Bilstein HD Shocks, F&R * Hellwig Rear Sway Bar & Helper Springs * TCS Poly Steering Rack Bushings * Wheeler's Front Sway Bar Bushings * Timbren SES Kit, Front & Rear *
    Brakes:
    * TRD Big Brake Kit (front) *

BAD BONEZ BJ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast