How to clean broken glass from defroster vents?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to clean broken glass from defroster vents?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default How to clean broken glass from defroster vents?

My previously broken windshield left quite a mess in the front of my dashboard. Any easy way to reach in and vacuum out the vents? (hard to reach with the small vent lines right below the windshield) Is the dash easy to remove? The windshield is still out and didn't want to install a new one until the mess is cleaned up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Re: How to clean broken glass from defroster vents?

I've never had to do that. Only had a window replaced once, but the company that did it cleans up all the broken glass when they do it, including removing any panels to get at all the glass.
    2006 Tundra Access Cab V8 - TRD
    16x8 Konig Countersteer w/Nitto TerraGrapplers 285/75R16
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Wheelers 1.5" rear blocks
    Dynomax cat-back w/Cherry Bomb Pro muffler
    Pioneer headunit w/Alphasonic amp and Sochse speakers
    HID retrofit, Acura TL bi-xenon projectors w/BMW ZKW lenses
    Truxedo Truxport / Trail FX black steps bars / Line-X Xtra

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    26 times

hi, when the windshield is off it is easy to vaccume up & out the glass, since thy can gain easy access to the vent's. how that the windshield is back on, it is impossible without removing the whole dash.
    yes, anyone who did the job should have done the job properly, including a good clean up. unless, safelite glass, they use cheap thin & wavey glass. & no clean up. but a new windshield from them is like 200. big differnce in many way's.
    gorilla

Liked
    58 times
    Images

Being that it's a safety issue...have the people who did the install clean up the broken glass. It's part of the deal when they install the glass.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck with a broken windshield. The defroster vent is quite small and getting inside with a vacuum is nearly impossible. Any other solutions? I am going to install the new windshield by the way. I was hoping there would be an easy (er) way to do this...

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    26 times

hi,
    if the vaccume hose is to thick,which it is.
    try to get a thinner pipe, or straw, or something like that, and tape it onto the end of the hose.
    now you can get it into the vent's. if you can get something thin and bendable, you are in like flin.
    it might work, since there is no windshield to block you.
    good luck,
    gorilla

Liked
    1 times

I'm in need of a windshield as well, and the cheapest I found was Safelite @ $193. This is my second windshield in a year, the first I got for $120, however that company is out of business. Does anyone know of a nationwide company that is better than Safelite?

Liked
    6 times
    Images

It's easy to remove the glass out of the vent. Simply turn truck upside down, shake and voila ! all the debris are gone................

All kidding aside, only a vacuum cleaner with a small tool tip can reach down there. Not sure how to remove the ventilation hose from below unless you remove the whole dash assembly.
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    58 times
    Images

Another option would be to use the vacuum in conjunction with an air hose so it can break the glass free and the vac sucks it up. Or use some wire with sticky tape on it. Just make sure yer wearing yer safety glasses and mask when yer doing all of this.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    26 times

hi safelite is a cheap way to go, but like i said, there glass is thin, weak, & wavey.
    and usually will brake in time, wether it is cause's by a rock, or a stress crack in a corner.
    maybe that's why they went out of business.
    i used to see them here in florida. i honestly thought i seen a truck not to long ago.
    i bet the dealership oem glass, is 700+.
    good luck,
    gorilla

Liked
    57 times

Before you get a cheap windshield.....just FYI

2008 Tundra Windshield Fire

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.