Bumper Removal/Re-Install?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Bumper Removal/Re-Install?

Liked
    1 times

Question Bumper Removal/Re-Install?

I have a 2002 TRD AC cab and I want to remove the front and rear chrome bumpers and replace them with some black metal one's that I'm going to have a body shape paint for me. For those of you that have removed and re-installed your bumpers, how hard was it? Is it a two man job? How long did it take?

2nd question, does anyone want to buy some very good condition chrome bumpers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Bumper Removal/Re-Install?

The rear bumper took me about 25-30 mins. There are 2 brackets one on each side that run from the top part of the bumper to the bottom part of the bumper. Though I have never removed the front bumper before. Watch out that you do not break off those little plastic tabs located on the black step pads. get a good penetrating oil like WD-40 or PB Blaster. Some of those bolts you may not be able to get off with a typical ratchet and extension. Use an impact gun but go slow so that you do not strip any bolts.

1. Remove license plate
    2. Remove the 2 screws that hold on the license plate covers.
    3. Remove the license plate bulb covers.
    4. Get the longest flat tip screw driver that you can and crawl underneath the truck and try to pop those little tabs out from the plastic bumper covers. There are 3 plastic bumper covers. Left, Right, center piece.
    5. There should be 4 or 6 bolts on the bottom of the bumper remove them.
    6. at the bottom of the bumper, you'll see a bracket with a bolt connected to it on both side. You do not need to remove them.
    6. There will be 6 or 8 bolts on top of the bumper remove them.
    7. Lift bumper out.

I think that is it, chime in someone if I'm missing something.

There are 2 long bolts that connect directly to the trailer hitch. They closest to the trail ball hole.

There are the 2 bracket that I'm talking about.

Be careful not to strip and or break off any bolts underneath the bumper. Otherwise you'll have to get it welded on like I did.

Chris
    Last edited by Tundradrenalin; 01-18-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: attempted to restore IMG links
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundraman10 View Post
    The rear bumper took me about 25-30 mins. There are 2 brackets one on each side that run from the top part of the bumper to the bottom part of the bumper. Though I have never removed the front bumper before. Watch out that you do not break off those little plastic tabs located on the black step pads. get a good penetrating oil like WD-40 or PB Blaster. Some of those bolts you may not be able to get off with a typical ratchet and extension. Use an impact gun but go slow so that you do not strip any bolts.

1. Remove license plate
    2. Remove the 2 screws that hold on the license plate covers.
    3. Remove the license plate bulb covers.
    4. Get the longest flat tip screw driver that you can and crawl underneath the truck and try to pop those little tabs out from the plastic bumper covers. There are 3 plastic bumper covers. Left, Right, center piece.
    5. There should be 4 or 6 bolts on the bottom of the bumper remove them.
    6. at the bottom of the bumper, you'll see a bracket with a bolt connected to it on both side. You do not need to remove them.
    6. There will be 6 or 8 bolts on top of the bumper remove them.
    7. Lift bumper out.

I think that is it, chime in someone if I'm missing something.

There are 2 long bolts that connect directly to the trailer hitch. They closest to the trail ball hole.

There are the 2 bracket that I'm talking about.

Be careful not to strip and or break off any bolts underneath the bumper. Otherwise you'll have to get it welded on like I did.

Chris

Damn! Thanks Chris! Now if someone will give me that sort of detail on the front bumper removal/re-install I will be set!

Liked
    0 times

Too bad your a little far away. Anyways, I took mine off of my 2003 last weekend to try and get the dents out that the previous owner put in it, got one out, and need a bigger hammer to get the other one. Would still have to bondo and paint to be perfect. Are there any dents in your rear bumper? Are the 02 and 03 rear bumpers the same? If so, I may be interested.

As far as removal, very simple process. Just remove all of the bolts on the bottom side of the bumper, remove plastic steps, remove bolts under steps and she pops right off. TundraMan hit it right on the head. Good pictures too. And I can def tell he lives in Ohio, that bumper looks nice and crispy after all that salt

Good luck!!!

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Not as many pics as Chris' rear bumper how-to,but I've taken my front bumper a few times...last time was yesterday Time-wise,it depends on how seized the hardware is. The very first time took maybe 90 minutes,yesterday it took me about half an hour solo.

I recommend having a helper around,and soak the hardware overnight. Even then I still snapped one mounting stud and chopped off a bracket with my cutoff wheel.

Remove the following first:
    Headlights and corners
    Fog lights
    Filler panel between the headlight and bumper.
    (10mm socket/wrenches for the above parts)
    Unbolt the fender lines connected to the bottom of the bumper (10mm/phillips)

#2 is a L-shaped bracket bolted to the fenders with a 12 or 14mm socket. They're physically connected to the main (chrome part) bumper with a stud and bushing,leave these brackets on the bumper for now. There are two total,I had to chop one off.

#11 and #12 hold the bumper to the frame. 4 studs (one of which I snapped off) welded to the bumper go through those brackets,remove the nuts with a 12mm socket. Leave two nuts on loosely until you're ready to remove the bumper.

Closeup of the frame brackets,yellow circles showing the holes where the bumper studs go through. There is also a small stud on each bracket,it's one of the three mounts for the foglights.

Call your helper over,remove the last two nuts,and pull.

Your truck will look like this

I don't remember what holds the upper and lower plastic pieces (#8 and 9),I've had these off for over a year since my bumper cover doesn't use them.

You can now remove the #2 brackets from the bumper. I was able to save the one I chopped,but it required some chiseling,welding,and cursing. List price for them is around $11,also had to replace one bushing (list around $5) but I found a similar sized bushing lying around from another project.
    2000 Imperial Jade Mica Tundra SR5 V8 4WD - sold to my dad
    2002 Thundercloud Sport Edition 4Runner - my "new" Toyota truck

Banned
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Runner View Post
    Too bad your a little far away. Anyways, I took mine off of my 2003 last weekend to try and get the dents out that the previous owner put in it, got one out, and need a bigger hammer to get the other one. Would still have to bondo and paint to be perfect. Are there any dents in your rear bumper? Are the 02 and 03 rear bumpers the same? If so, I may be interested.

As far as removal, very simple process. Just remove all of the bolts on the bottom side of the bumper, remove plastic steps, remove bolts under steps and she pops right off. TundraMan hit it right on the head. Good pictures too. And I can def tell he lives in Ohio, that bumper looks nice and crispy after all that salt

Good luck!!!
    no but im local to atl and know how to work on the Tundra yes all rear bumpers are the same tundra from 00 to 06 use the same parts..PM me if you need help hell i would line x it and get raid of the cheap chrome my front bumper is line X see my profile.

Erik
    Last edited by Tundrav8yamaha; 03-09-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Liked
    1 times

Man, thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it. Looks like I need to get those other bumpers ordered and get to it. I will definitely post pics when I'm finished!