Troubleshooting a Gentex Auto-Dimming/Compass Mirror in 03 Tundra

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Troubleshooting a Gentex Auto-Dimming/Compass Mirror in 03 Tundra

Liked
    4 times

Default Troubleshooting a Gentex Auto-Dimming/Compass Mirror in 03 Tundra

I have a 2003 Tundra with a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with compass. Model number 50-GENK20. My Tundra did not originally come with this mirror so I had the dealer install it about a week after I took delivery of my truck.

In January, I noticed that periodically the compass/temp display would either be very dim or not come on at all. Whether or not it worked did not seem related to bumps in the road so I'm guessing it is not a loose connection someplace. In fact, I did not see a correlation with whether or not it worked with anything. I think the electronics of the mirror are just failing. Since January, the problem has gotten worse. It only works about half the time.

I called the dealer and they said this was part of the 3/36 warranty. Has anyone ever seen this problem before? I can't afford to have Toyota look at it so I am thinking about buying a new one off the Internet and installing it but I do not want to do this if the mirror really is not the problem.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

Default Re: Troubleshooting a Gentex Auto-Dimming/Compass Mirror in 03 Tundra

hi ,you are better off buying a new 1.
    and since the connections will be the same, if you get the same 1, it is your best bet as a fix.

like everything, thing's go bad. if you want take it off & check the wires if all seems tight & nothing disconnected in any way. it just might be time for a new 1.

just my thought's.

paying the dealership there labor, ,just for them to tell you it has gone bad and you need a new 1, by that time, you could have bought 1 on ebay and put it in already.
    gorilla

Liked
    4 times

I ended up buying a new mirror. Here's the deal I got in case somebody else needs this model of mirror.

I found a Gentex 50-GENK20 on Ebay for $150 plus $16.50 for shipping. This certainly is good price but I figured I would be out of luck if I encountered any issues.

Then I found the same mirror at Brandsport.

Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror w/ Compass and Temperature Display

At $199.77 it's a little more but they do not charge for shipping on orders over $100. Before I buy anything on the Internet, I always go to Coupon codes and discounts for 30,000 online stores! RetailMeNot.com to see if there is a promo code available. I found the promo code "R4W" and applied that during checkout to get a 10% discount. That brought the net cost down to $179.79. That's not quite as cheap as Ebay but it's worth it because if I need any help, I have a lot more confidence in Brandsport than the guy on Ebay.

Liked
    4 times

The original paperwork for my truck says I have a Gentex 50-GENK20 mirror. Today, I removed the mirror to replace it with the new Gentex 50-GENK20 I bought only to find out the original mirror was a GNTX-177. To make installation easier, I planned on using my original wiring with the new mirror. Is that still possible now that I realize I have two different models of mirror? The wire will physically plug into the new mirror but I do not have any information to show what each wire within the plug represents. Thanks.

Liked
    4 times

I used the existing wire and it seemed to work fine. The existing wiring had five wires versus four on the wiring of the new mirror.