HELP with EFI / Engine problem

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP with EFI / Engine problem

TS
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default HELP with EFI / Engine problem

Hey guys, I have a real doozy on my hands...

Started when I was winching the truck off an incline. The battery died down and engine killed, which is somewhat typical when winching.

I tried to jump the car off with no luck and towed it home. I found my EFI-1 and EFI-2 fuses blown, check engine light on, ABS light on, VSC light on.

I replaced the two EFI fuses and reset the P-0446, p0455, p0455 lights figuring the truck starved for fuel and cut out due to the angle. (yes I checked the gas cap!).

After charging the battery all night, I started the car up, it rode fine. Started it up a second time, killed out and blew EFI-1 (replaced), started it up again and blew EFI-2 only. Now sometimes it blows 1, sometimes it blows 2. Sometimes it starts sometimes not. Fuel guage sometimes shows 100% sometimes 0%.

The only other similar problem I have had is that it bogged down a couple times making a right turn, as if VSC had to take over and killed the acceleration- not a fast right turn either. Once before I had the same codes pop up, I tightened the cap and cleared them and never saw them again.

Also, it may be worth noting that I need new brake rotors and pads, but didn't have the time to replace them yet.

I looked under the car to see if anything looked strange, but the only thing odd was one wire was crispy as if once the insulation melted. I chased it down in the dark and it rides the passenger side, has a loom it is wrapped in, then looks like it crosses within the chassis to the fuel tank.

Any guess will help. thanks guys. BTW, the problem is on a 2004 Sequioa, but I figured the truck is the same chassis, pump, wiring ect. I will post it on the Seq. forum too but know there is less traffic. Will merge them and delete this one later.
    Last edited by Dixie4x4; 05-12-2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Tundras: 02 AC - Gone, 07 DC - Gone, 04 DC - Gone

FJ BRUISA! - Got

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2957 times
    Images

Default Re: HELP with EFI / Engine problem

It sounds like you had a power surge/imbalance, i.e. you had electrical power demands placed on the system by the winch above what the stock wiring could handle, and either it fried one or more leads, or you had an issue when you tried to jump it, and you had shorting. These are a bugger to fix sometimes because the wiring and fusing is so extensive. I'd bet that you're going to need an experienced automotive electrician to find the extent of the damage
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

TS
    Liked
    1 times
    Images

Thanks Duffy, I dont understand how the wiring connectected to the battery directly would melt a wire that is on the other side of the circuit and protected by a fuse. I wonder where I find an automotive electrician
    Tundras: 02 AC - Gone, 07 DC - Gone, 04 DC - Gone

FJ BRUISA! - Got

Liked
    4 times
    Images

maybe I can explain the p0446 and p0455, evap emissions can be anything from a loose gas cap, vacuum line or crack in a line or case to a sensor or circuit, in this case to me anyway, you said your efi 1 and 2 fuse blew, and your gas gauge did not work then did so on and so on.

evap monitors run on start up, (under 80 deg fahrenheit) so if your gas guage did not work on 2 or more start ups you could get the evap codes.

however you said you have (burnt wires maybe) the code p0446 Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit is just that A CIRCUIT, and as duffy said if you have wiring problems which I agree with duffy on it could cause this code.

the vent control is most likely stuck closed which would cause the other code p0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (gross leak/no flow)

in this case no flow because the conrtol circuit is not getting power and stuck closed.

dont worry about those codes for now, check the wiring first, sounds like you overheated something when winching
    2004 Tundra stepside.
    6" RCD lift, Camburg UCA, 4:56 front & rear, arb air locker, arb Sahara bar with 12000 bulldog winch, custom exhaust, 315/75r/16 km2 mt's
    stubbs sliders, ARE shell, ORS Hub kit.:rockon:

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie4x4 View Post
    Thanks Duffy, I dont understand how the wiring connectected to the battery directly would melt a wire that is on the other side of the circuit and protected by a fuse. I wonder where I find an automotive electrician
    There may have been surges at some point. A given electronic component may use transient suppressors to prevent the surges from causing damage to the circuitry further inside that component. Depending on the design, some suppressors sacrifice themselves to absorb the surge so that the remaining circuit is protected. When suppressors get "struck by lightning" they can become leaky or even present a dead short, which would explain the fuse blowing symptoms you mention.

Liked
    95 times
    Images

Most of the times if EFI fuses blow, check your CO2 sensors Bank1 sensor 1, or Bank2 sensor1 (they are directly connected to EFI system) If they have short (meaning sensor wires on sensor it self), then fuse will blow.
    Last edited by Crazy Ivan; 05-12-2009 at 08:20 PM.
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4x4 - TRD supercharged, TRD BBK, TRD exhaust, 7009 navi w/custom JBL wire harness + OEM XM/Sirus radio, and many other mods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.