2005 V8 - 4.7L Spark Plugs???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 2005 V8 - 4.7L Spark Plugs???

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default 2005 V8 - 4.7L Spark Plugs???

It seems that these are the logical choices for the 2005 VVT V8 4.7L engine.
    1. Denso Iridium IK20 $11.99ea. or $95.92set
    2. NGK IX Iridium BKR6EIX $ 7.83ea. or $62.64set
    3. NGK Laser Iridium $12.06ea. or $96.48set

Does anyone know if the NGK Laser is really any better than their standard iridium?
    Is the choice between Denso and NGK really just brand choice and the plugs are equal?
    I guess I am looking for any opinions, positive or negative, about these plugs and any other choices I have for the 05-06 Tundra.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

Default Re: 2005 V8 - 4.7L Spark Plugs???

hi ,from what i have been told. the oem plugs are 100,000 mile plug's.
    is in my opinion if there is absolutely no reason for the changing of the plug's, such as you reached 100,000 mile's, or some other reason causing the plug's to fail.
    whybarther to spend the money on a new set?
    i don't think there will be any gain that big in gas mileage, or performence to spend a extra amount of money.

there is a saying, if it isn't brake don't fix it.
    gorilla

Liked
    0 times

Basically whatever the manual says is what you should use. If I remember right, the book lists both Denso and NGK as possible replacements. Pick one and you can't go wrong.
    As far as the 100K mile replacement - I don't believe that. I changed mine at 48K and they didn't look that great. I had to change my wife's plugs in her Camry at 60K because they failed

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

use the denso iriduim plugs the 4.7l is designed to run on those plugs. those plugs are 60k mile plugs btw. i would not use anyother plug than the denso's in my truck beacouse of that. just my 2 cents though every body has there own ways to think

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

and it also deplends on driving habits

Liked
    33 times

Iridiums are 120K mile plugs. Mine have been in for over 70K and run just as good as the day I installed them with the S/C.
    I'd stick with the IK20's for N/A trucks and the IK22's for S/C trucks.
    Platinum plugs are 60K plugs.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mustang67408 View Post
    Iridiums are 120K mile plugs. Mine have been in for over 70K and run just as good as the day I installed them with the S/C.
    I'd stick with the IK20's for N/A trucks and the IK22's for S/C trucks.
    Platinum plugs are 60K plugs.
    Hey Mustang, I don't think the IK22 plugs are rated for long life. The center electrode is only .4 mm and the ground electrode is just traditional nickle construction. Other Iridium plugs that have the platinum ground electrodes will last 120k like you say. Having said this, I am basing what I say on what I read, not real life experience like you have. You may very well be right but I wanted to show you this.
    How long will my iridium spark plugs last?

A traditional iridium plug such as a IK20 has an iridium center electrode, however the ground electrode is the traditional nickel construction. The ground electrode will wear out first. The manufacturers of iridium plugs are saying 40,000 to 60,000 miles. But they have to temper their projections as driving conditions and motor modifications differ. Typically we have found you can expect 60,000 to 80,000 miles on an unaltered motor. (One of our trucks has had the Denso's in for 76,000 miles. We examined 2 of the plugs, they had some minor spooning on the ground electrode. Put them back in and will likely change them in another 5,000 miles.)

The Denso Iridium Racing plugs have iridium center and a platinum ground electrodes. If installed to a regular engine they would likely last longer than most people keep their car (barring any motor problems that can cause premature plug death). But, these usually come in heat ranges too cold for an unaltered motor, and are usually used in racing applications where all bets are off.

For the traditional automotive market, the longest lasting plugs are the Denso "SK" series. These have iridium center and platinum tipped ground electrodes, however these are extremely limited in application as they only manufactured these in a couple of heat range configurations.
    03 Stratosphere Mica Stepside, 4.7 L, Supercharger, TRD Package, TRD Exhaust,
    Scion Head Unit 08600-21802,
    Custom leather heated seats 2 tone with TRD LOGO, Moonroof, ARE LID, ZR3 Laser Shifter, Denso IK22 .4mm Iridium Plugs, Scan Gauge 2,
    Rhino Liner, Die Hard Platinum P5 battery
    5.7 Killer

Liked
    33 times

I guess it all depends on who you talk too, or what you read. There is just so much info.
    I have a chart for Toyota vehicles and it says 120K for all iridiums. O5 Tundra shows 120K miles.
    The only difference I was aware of between the IK20 & IK22 is the heat range. The IK22 is better suited for the S/C (cooler heat range). I just called my TRD friend (engineer) and he recommends 90K for Iridiums. Guess I'll throw them in when I do my T-Belt next year.
    All I know is if I was jofa4, I'd put the factory recommended plugs back into it.
    I have to go with what TOYOTA recommends or get accused of selling 120K mile plugs at 90K miles. Good Info about the electrodes. I'll have to pull one out and look at it.

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    19 times

hi, i guess i'm wrong than.
    i also thought that every 60,000 miles you need to replace your timing belt.
    but i have read here people have gone over 100,000miles. and still have the original timing belt.
    so i guess there wrong to.
    there are so many part's that need to be replaced.
    02 senor's, whats the life on them? hum .. some people can't get 20,000 miles, before they need to be replaced.

i belive it is how you take care of your vehicle.
    gorilla

i'm just hopeing just like my caddy's, i go 100,000 miles before i need many new parts.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

You can't go wrong with the standard NGK's... I've used them on every vehicle I've owned... They work great for boosted applications too.
    2001 Tundra Limited- Turbo install in progress......