What bolt size can be used to remove brake drums?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: What bolt size can be used to remove brake drums?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    5 times

Default What bolt size can be used to remove brake drums?

This morning I decicded to remove the wheels from my 2005 two-wheel drive Tundra so that I could check the condition of the brake pads and brake shoes. I had no problem looking at the disc brake pads, but both drums are stuck on. With this model truck there is a guard around the outer edge of the rear brake drums and there is no way to grab the drum and pull it off or tap the edge with a hammer. The drums are rusty at the hub which makes the problem worse. In my Haynes manual it shows that there are two threaded holes in each brake drum where I can screw in bolts to help remove the stuck drums. But it does not say what size bolt to use. I assume that it will be a metric bolt size. Does anyone know what bolts I need that can be threaded into the tapped holes in the brake drums to allow me to unstick the drums so that I can remove them and examine the brake shoes?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: What bolt size can be used to remove brake drums?

Not sure of the bolt size, but you may have to back off on the adjustment of the brake shoes then pull of the drum. The shoes may be holding it.
    2005 Tundra DC TRD 4WD "Silver Sky"
    Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.5 with 2" aal in the rear
    American Racing 16x9's with 285/75/16
    Firestone Destination M/T, LSD, TRD Dual Exhaust, Westin nerf bars, Linex, Toyota bug guard, Husky floor mats, Prodigy brake controller,
    window tint, debadged

2000 4-Runner SR5 4WD "Jade"
    31x10.50 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's
    Stampede bug guard, Husky floor mats, brake controller, window tint

Liked
    0 times

as above poster stated, back off the shoes. then spray the hubs with a rust cutter and let it soak. you can then tap the drum with a hammer.
    Don't use the bolt holes. if the hub is stuck, you will bend the face of the drum.

ask me how I know. I ruined a set of drums on a 4runner.

Liked
    0 times

I read somewhere the bolt size is 8mm X 1.25, but I haven’t tried it yet….

Liked
    2942 times
    Images

Just a stupid, quick question: Did you make sure that you released the e-brake before trying to pry them off? (don't ask me why I'm asking this question!!)
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    1 times

I still have the package from the bolts I bought to remove the rear drums, it's M8x30 pitch 1.25. I think the 30 is the length, you can use that or longer.
    TRUCK: 2001 2WD V8 AC MODS: JBA headers! Magnaflow muffler, TRD 4x4 coils & shocks, Wheeler's AAL's, Truxedo bed cover, Bridgestone Dueler AT LT265/75/16, Surepull hitch, Drawtite convertor box, MAPP nerf bars, Toyota bed mat

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I had to back the star adjusters way off before the drum covers would come off with the bolts. Once I backed them off enough, the covers popped right off with the bolts. You'll be able to tell if the adjusters are not backed off enough - the bolts will move the drum cover out easily a short distance, then it will hang up on the wear ridge.

You'll know you're adjusting the star adjuster in the wrong direction if you aren't able to turn the drum by hand any longer (pushing the pads into engagement).

- Chris
    2005 Tundra V8 4x4 regular cab, Phantom Gray, Line-X, Jeraco cap, 245/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors, 245-75R16 Firestone Winterforce snows in winter - nickname: "Gaspig"

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Inside this pdf should explain what ya need to know! hope it helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files