DIY sway bar link replacement

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: sway bar link replacement

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default sway bar link replacement

i have a bone stock 04 tundra with 50k miles. the passenger side sway bar link broke? whats up with that? anyway...looks like an easy replacement, but i didnt know if i needed to jack up the truck or if it could be installed while on the ground? just wanted to get some input before i got into the repair. thanks guys
    2004 Double Cab Limited 4WD - leveling 5100's, Toyo AT 285/70/17's, KMC Addict Wheels, diff drop, 1" rear block
    "When I got married, I found the true meaning of happiness, BUT, by then it was too late!

Lets GOO!! Mountaineers!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: sway bar link replacement

Here is a pretty good write up. Check out the Downey links.
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-sway-bar-end/

Crap, I just noticed the Pictures are not working.
    Last edited by NHtoyman; 06-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.
    My 2004 AC= 5100'S-Weather tech Mats--MagnaFlow 11226 Muffler with 3 inch Tip-Bed Line x'd-265/75/16 Nokian Vativa HT's

Best place I have found for
    Fluid Film http://www.mcmaster.com
    Product # 12055K74

Liked
    1 times
    Images

thanks...even without the pictures it is still helpful....thanks again
    2004 Double Cab Limited 4WD - leveling 5100's, Toyo AT 285/70/17's, KMC Addict Wheels, diff drop, 1" rear block
    "When I got married, I found the true meaning of happiness, BUT, by then it was too late!

Supercharged Member
    Liked
    18 times

hi do not, do not jack it up, replace the sway bar on the ground.
    you have enough room. i did a up-grade hellwig front sway bar. it had to be done on the ground. no lift for whatever the reason is. now this came from not only the paper work sent by hellwig, but my ase master mechanic.
    so do as you see fit.
    but thats my .02cent's.
    gorilla

Liked
    0 times

Just take it off and forget about it!
    2006 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLA View Post
    hi do not, do not jack it up, replace the sway bar on the ground.
    you have enough room. i did a up-grade hellwig front sway bar. it had to be done on the ground. no lift for whatever the reason is. now this came from not only the paper work sent by hellwig, but my ase master mechanic.
    so do as you see fit.
    but thats my .02cent's.
    gorilla
    Wouldn't it be easier to replace the links with the front wheel off? So your master tech works on the ground? J/K :laughing:
    My 2004 AC= 5100'S-Weather tech Mats--MagnaFlow 11226 Muffler with 3 inch Tip-Bed Line x'd-265/75/16 Nokian Vativa HT's

Product # 12055K74

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Truck Driver View Post
    Just take it off and forget about it!
    If you wheel it yeah deff.

Product # 12055K74

Liked
    17 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog69 View Post
    i have a bone stock 04 tundra with 50k miles. the passenger side sway bar link broke? whats up with that? anyway...looks like an easy replacement, but i didnt know if i needed to jack up the truck or if it could be installed while on the ground? just wanted to get some input before i got into the repair. thanks guys

I know your pain hotdog...just posted my account several days ago....see ithe thread here with pics

retro sway bar mod
    Pistol Pete
    "I don't want to change the world I just want to leave it colder"

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4 (7844A), Phantom Grey Pearl, All weather guard package, fog lamps,keyless entry, 17" AA wheels, towing package, color-keyed overfenders, 4.1mm Limited Slip Diffy, Delux 3-in-1 JBL stereo, privacy glass, floor mats with sill protectors, bed extender

MODS- BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's (255/75R17), 17" KMC Venom 755 rims, Line-X, Retrax, Onki nerf boards (part #328078), Wade vent visors (part #88401) , TracRac (rail # OL-21609), Ultimate Fly Fishing Rod transporter, Spin Caster Rod holder in bed, Recon bedlights fully adjustable w/"nightvision", HitchSafe, Weathertech floor liners (part #46030-1&2, grey), debadged, visors destickered, rear window stop disabled, dynolock/PL8500 power tailgate lock, tailgate protector mod with detachable floormat, Stebel Nautilus Compact Truck Air horn (300Hz), quick fist flashlight holder (all in photo gallery).....more custom suprises on the way!!

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Pistol, its like you took a picture of my link....It looked exactly the same...I just put a new one on a few minutes ago...dealership told me 78 bucks....got it from NAPA for 28. Only difference i can see is the lower shaft is shorter on the aftermarket. I tried putting a washer on it but i didnt feel the nut threaded on far enough, so i took the washer off (the kit didnt come with a washer so i dont think its a big deal?). Havent driven it yet, but i appreciate all the help from everyone.

Liked
    0 times

Yep, same as mine last fall the top just turned to rust and dissappered like everything under this truck. This fix is an an easy DIY job. I had to use a big open end to keep the square end of the swivel from turning when removing.
    Go Sabres