P2440 code story - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

P2440 code story

I have a 2006 Tundra XSP with 33,000, bought brand new. I am meticulous with it, looks brand new. Check engine light comes on & goes into limp mode, never happened before. Code is P2440, my local mechanic friend did some research & he was concerned & told me I should call Toyota because he saw some warranty info online. Called dealer where I purchased it along with 2 other Toyotas since 2001. Talked to someone in the service dept & told him the problem. He pulled up my truck on the computer & he saw I have low miles. Put me on hold for 30 secs & came back & was laughing. He explained to me the part involved had a limited extended warranty to 100,000 or 10 yrs. He said I had 11 days to get the truck to him, full warranty coverage for everything. He called today & said the parts are ordered & should be done by the end of the week. I have since researched this problem & have saw repairs up to $4,000, crazy. Appears I got lucky, doesn't always happen. All 3 of my Toyotas have been purchased & serviced @ the same dealer, maybe they're showing some loyalty? Either way, nice to catch a break.
jack mccarthy, LGL002 and TheGryme like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM

Re: P2440 code story

ok so for others, this is an air-injection switch stuck open.
marriedman likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Rookie

33K miles in 10 years?! What is your idea of daily use, backing down the driveway and back in the garage?!

Just ribbing you, I bet that truck is gorgeous. Glad to hear you won't have to pay anything for the work.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedman View Post
33K miles in 10 years?! What is your idea of daily use, backing down the driveway and back in the garage?!

Just ribbing you, I bet that truck is gorgeous. Glad to hear you won't have to pay anything for the work.
LOL, not much driving I guess.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Rookie

P2440 DTC: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Tuck Open Bank 1

I thought that I would contribute my experience with the P2440 code. My vehicle is a 2012 5.7L Crewmax 4X4 Tundra. The code appeared immediately after start up. The conditions where - 16C, windy and snow. The CEL and Track Off light on, as well as 4LO blinking. Vehicle went into "limp home" mode.

Checked Toyota.ca website and found a limited service bulletin for an ECM upgrade for this issue. Apparently the software upgrade changes the parameters for the checking of the secondary air injection system. After clearing the code and having our local Toyota dealer perform the ECM upgrade all is OK (so far). There may still be an issue with the pump or valve, if so expensive to fix. There is a recall for Tundras up to model year 2010.

I have appreciated the info that is available in this Forum, hopefully this will be of help to someone as well.

Last edited by Hammerin Hank; 01-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Re: P2440 DTC: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Tuck Open Bank 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerin Hank View Post
I thought that I would contribute my experience with the P2440 code. My vehicle is a 2012 5.7L Crewmax 4X4 Tundra. The code appeared immediately after start up. The conditions where - 16C, windy and snow. The CEL and Track Off light on, as well as 4LO blinking. Vehicle went into "limp home" mode.

Checked Toyota.ca website and found a limited service bulletin for an ECM upgrade for this issue. Apparently the software upgrade changes the parameters for the checking of the secondary air injection system. After clearing the code and having our local Toyota dealer perform the ECM upgrade all is OK (so far). There may still be an issue with the pump or valve, if so expensive to fix. There is a recall for Tundras up to model year 2010.

I have appreciated the info that is available in this Forum, hopefully this will be of help to someone as well.
Sorry about your non-first gen truck. They start going downhill after 2006. Stick with a first gen if you don't want problems or if you don't want a truck that looks like a dodge
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Smile Re: P2440 code story

Update to the update, should've done this sooner. Got my Tundra back, fully fixed & no cost to me. When I got my keys back from the cashier @ Toyota, she had me sign the paperwork & it had the price to fix it & I asked her to make me a copy, which she did, The total cost was close to $1500, I assume they billed Toyota for the ext warranty. I have since discussed this with various people that seem to be more in the know than me & they said that most manufacturers will or have to cover emissions issues. So if someone has this issue, it may still be covered under the extended warranty.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichg1000 View Post
Sorry about your non-first gen truck. They start going downhill after 2006. Stick with a first gen if you don't want problems or if you don't want a truck that looks like a dodge
Weird you say that, I have had more than one person offer to buy my truck from me just because it was the last Gen of this Tundra. Gonna drive this thing till it won't drive no more.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Supercharged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erichg1000 View Post

Stick with the 11 year old truck if you don't want problems? So you're saying you've owned both and can say one has more problems than the other? I know I can say I've owned both and I cant say that. Has your truck been 100% trouble free?

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage

Does Toyota cover AIP failures for an '05 Tundra 4.7?

Reason I ask is because I sold the '05 to a retired gentleman and I'd like to get the information to him.

I wasn't aware of this Secondary AIP problem until I bought the 2007 4runner 4.7 or I would have done the bypass on the Tundra.

Another question, does the 4runner bypass kit work on the Tundra - a Tundra without an ECM upgrade? I know the '05 I sold didn't have an ECM upgrade.

Trying to gather information, thanks for any help.

You win some, you lose some, you wreck some. ~ Dale Earnhardt, Sr.

SOLD Sept 2016 $14k - 2005 Tundra Limited Access Cab 4WD Stepside 4.7l. Port installed Liquicel Leather Pkg w/Captains Buckets no woodgrain trim, Factory Tow pkg, Factory LSD. OEM 16" five spoke alloys, 265/75/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T's, Bilstein 4600 HD shocks, TRD front coils, Samlex 600W PSW inverter, Leer 100R shell, rear diff breather mod, Hellwig 7700 rear sway bar, Hellwig 991 rear AAL.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga View Post
Does Toyota cover AIP failures for an '05 Tundra 4.7?

Reason I ask is because I sold the '05 to a retired gentleman and I'd like to get the information to him.

I wasn't aware of this Secondary AIP problem until I bought the 2007 4runner 4.7 or I would have done the bypass on the Tundra.

Another question, does the 4runner bypass kit work on the Tundra - a Tundra without an ECM upgrade? I know the '05 I sold didn't have an ECM upgrade.

Trying to gather information, thanks for any help.
I'd go the old school method and call your local Toyota dealer and check. No doubt the warranty would transfer if it is in effect.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Supercharged Member

If the warranty is 10 years and its an 05 I would say no more warranty. I don't believe the ecm could be upgraded on the gen 1's. I think that was only on gen 2 and maybe only on 2012's as there was a software change from the factory after that.

2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner, Rampage Patriot running boards.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapskate View Post
If the warranty is 10 years and its an 05 I would say no more warranty. I don't believe the ecm could be upgraded on the gen 1's. I think that was only on gen 2 and maybe only on 2012's as there was a software change from the factory after that.
Thanks for the info, misread a few things above and on the 4Runner forum about ECM update.

I'll get the bypass kit from jeffcole and send it to the buyer.

SOLD Sept 2016 $14k - 2005 Tundra Limited Access Cab 4WD Stepside 4.7l. Port installed Liquicel Leather Pkg w/Captains Buckets no woodgrain trim, Factory Tow pkg, Factory LSD. OEM 16" five spoke alloys, 265/75/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T's, Bilstein 4600 HD shocks, TRD front coils, Samlex 600W PSW inverter, Leer 100R shell, rear diff breather mod, Hellwig 7700 rear sway bar, Hellwig 991 rear AAL.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

There was a SB on some of the 12-13 vehicles for theP2440/P2442 codes coming on in freezing temps. This is similar to the P2445 code coming on in freezing temps of some 05-06 vehicles.
A bad sensor calibration/compensation for temperature changes which you might call linearization is what it sounds like.
This would not be the same as the valve stuck open code you would get from a failing air pump or the valves physically getting stuck open.
The ECM re-flash for the computer is covered under warranty for 96 months or 80k miles.
The only other warranty I know about for the system covers some of the 07-10 vehicles for 10 years or 150k miles for failures of the SAIS. No 05-06 vehicles are covered by anything.

If your dealership charged Toyota $1500 to do an ECM update that is called fraud! It takes like 15 min tops to update an ECM and nothing else has to be touched for the update.
S

Hewitt Tech Store www.hewitt-tech.com
Home of the original wired and Plug and Play SAIS Bypass Kits
support@hewitt-tech.com or Toll Free 844-307-7671es
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage

Sent the jeff cole bypass kit to the buyer of the '05. It worked for my '07 4Runner 4.7 and has excellent reviews, jeff says it works on the '05 Tundra 4.7.

My limited understanding about the jeff cole kit is it works as a preventive measure. I had not thrown codes on the 4Runner, therefore there was no problem with the valves being stuck open, same with the buyer of the '05 Tundra.

I guess on an '05 Tundra 4.7 if the valves are stuck open one will have to get the valves closed first, then do the bypass, which will forever keep the valves closed.

And there should be no emissions testing issues. Seems like an excellent preventive measure, peace of mind thing. Going into limp mode in the boonies towing a trailer would be a horrible thing. And then try to get it fixed in the boonies? Please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page