vent visor glue removal

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: vent visor glue removal

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default vent visor glue removal

Hey Guys, I removed my old vent visors that have been on my truck since 2002. Going to install a new set one of these days. I still have then remaining glue on the truck. How do I remove the vent visor glue? Tried some type of orange solvent and a razor blade and was able to remove some of the glue. But yeah got to be careful not to scratch or dig into the paint. Did that by accident.

Is there an adhesive remover out there (stronger than what I have) on the market that would remove the glue?

Also thinking about purchasing a heat gun to remove the rest of the glue.

Chris
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    7 times
    Images

Default Re: vent visor glue removal

Years ago, when I worked at a detail shop, we used to use a gasoline soaked rag to remove stuff such as this. It can be long, tedious, and messy, but with persistence, will usually remove about anything and not harm the paint. It will, however, remove any wax on the truck. Just use common sense and don't do something stupid like smoke around it or use it indoors, in front of your gas water heater. Try wd40 first, as I've used it to remove some pretty stubborn stuff too. The key is to let it soak in a few minutes before trying to rub off the adhesive. And I wouldn't try any of the above in direct sunlight.
    Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I also used to work in a detail shop. once in a while I would have to remove that cab bed adhesive. We used to use a heat gun, goof off adhesive remover and a razor blade. Yes I did scratch the rails of the truck but all of these trucks were the $6,500 and below so my boss didn't really care about them that much.
    Cardomain Member

Liked
    7 times
    Images

I didn't think about goof off. That might work. We used to use the gasoline on high dollar Lexus, Infinity and such. You just have to get it really wet, rub, and repeat. It won't scratch or harm it in any way-so long as you don't do it around flames or sparks!
    Your actions speak so loudly, I can't hear what you're saying.

Liked
    0 times

There's another product called Goo-Gone that's good with adhesives.
    2006 DC Limited 2WD Salsa Red Pearl
    Hellwig Sway Bar - Exterior LED's - Putco Chrome Handles - Imposter Chrome Grill Inserts - Lund Bug Deflector - UWS Low Profile Tool Box - BedRug - Multivex Mirrors - Scangauge II - Kenwood 5120 - Boyo Backup Camera - Parking Assist Front & Rear - Fog Light DRL's - Bilstein HD Shocks

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Found some stuff at wal-mart in the hardware area called Krud-Kutter. Worked great, wipe it on let it set for a minute and then it almost just completely wiped off the remaining adhesive tape.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

going to pick up a heat gun tomorrow along with some goof off and try that.
    Cardomain Member

Liked
    0 times

I got some 3M adhesive remover from my local body shop. That plus a towel, elbow grease, and patience will get it off. I also made a scratch when I thought I could "carefully" get it with a razor blade.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I've found the best thing to use to get it off is a rag wrapped around your thumb and apply as much pressure as you can and start peeling it off. I tried the 3M adhesive remover and it didn't do much cause that adhesive tape is soo thick it evaporated before it could get to the actual adhesive. It took about 3 minutes per side to remove using my thumb but worked flawlessly. No scratches and took it all off. It's just hard work and your thumb will be a little sore but it's the fastest, easiest, and less damaging way i've found. Then use something to clean the paint and apply new vents.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    1 times
    Images

I found Marine-Clean worked great for this and the best bug and tar remover I have ever used. Spray/wipe it on. Wait a minute and rinse... gone. MARINE CLEAN-POR-15 Inc.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I bought a bottle of goof off and a heat gun. I noticed that the goof off took some of the color of the paint off. Looks faded now but the adhesive is completely gone. Read the bottle and it said that it could remove some of the color on the vehicle. But I don't ever remember is removing the color off any of the other vehicles that I've ever applied it to. Going to put a coat of wax on that paint ASAP. Installed the vent visors to all by myself. One could tell a beginner did it.

Do not buy the $22 Wagner heat gun model 1000 (yellow). The low switch quit working on me for a couple of minutes then it worked again. Going to take it back ASAP.
    Cardomain Member

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

They do make plastic razor blades that wont dig into your paint. they wear kind of easy but saves the gouging of paint. You can also soak it in paint thinner rather than gasoline.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I wasn't going to try gasoline because there have been several times in the past where I have accidentally spilled some gasoline which ran down the side of my truck causing the paint to look like crap.
    Cardomain Member

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I have had good results with WD-40. I use it on everything, even removing window tint. Will not harm your paint or plastic.
    97 Opel Corsa/german specs(daily driver)
    06 DC Tundra
    07 HD Fat Boy (my toy)
    08 mini cooper S (wifes ride)