Rear Brakes

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Brakes

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Rear Brakes

Im I to understand that to adjust thre rear shoes you simply have to press and release the parking brake several times? No going in reverse and pumping the brakes, no anything but press and release the parking brake while the gear shift is in park? Should it get progressivly harder to push the E-Brake pedal? I just did my rear brakes today and dont see how this works. When I had it apart, I took the the E-Brake cable off and exercised the E-Brake with my hand (down at the rear wheel) just to see what goes on in there and I could not get the star wheel to advance, therefore spreading the shoes. Should I have been able to see something happen in there or does it take some sort of drive train torque or something? I know I have it back together correctly because I did one side at a time so I had the other as reference. Also read enough on this site and have the SM so I know its correct. Just curious how this works
    2003 Tundra, AC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Rear Brakes

The "star" washer is a one way thing. As you pull the PB cable there is a little spring loaded lever that ratchets against the star washer to hold it so it doesn't back off. You can loosen it, bit you have to remove the rubber plug in back of the drum then stick a metal probe in there to hold back the ratchet lever and push the star washer with a screwdriver to back it off. Thats a little tricky but it works.

It's easy to see with the drum off.
    Last edited by JTs02Tundra; 09-07-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    JT
    [SIZE=1]2002 SR5, Thunder Grey, Access Cab, 4.7, Off Road pkg, 4WD, Toyota Bedliner, Bed Extender, Limited Slip Diff, ABS
    Add Ons: Leer 700 Lid, Curt Front Mounted Receiver Hitch, WeatherTech Window Vents, WeatherTech Front Floor Liners, Cabela's Aux Back Up Lights, Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Fumoto Valve

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thanks JT.

How about the E-Brake pedal, its as simple as pushing and releasing and it will adjust?
    2003 Tundra, AC

Liked
    3 times

If you have play in it. I did that Monday when everything was off to see this little ratcheting thing. With the drums off, I reached around and grabbed the cable and gave it a few tugs. Yes that did ratchet the star washer and screwed the metal piece out forcing the shoes to move out closer to where the drum would be. I held the ratchet piece with my thumb and backed off the star washer with a screwdriver. But, you will not get the ratchet to work if your bellcranks are seized.

That's how I got a good idea of what the heck was going on there. You can't really see it inside that little adjuster hole in the back. When it was all together again, I tried pumping the EB, but is was good. Nice and tight. The cables in back did not sag after I redid the bell cranks. Boy were they rusty! seized! Pulled em apart and packed em with Silicone Brake Grease. I'm glad I did that. EB is perfect now.
    Last edited by JTs02Tundra; 09-08-2009 at 04:02 PM.
    JT
    [SIZE=1]2002 SR5, Thunder Grey, Access Cab, 4.7, Off Road pkg, 4WD, Toyota Bedliner, Bed Extender, Limited Slip Diff, ABS
    Add Ons: Leer 700 Lid, Curt Front Mounted Receiver Hitch, WeatherTech Window Vents, WeatherTech Front Floor Liners, Cabela's Aux Back Up Lights, Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Fumoto Valve

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I took mine apart and cleaned real good and used copper anti-seize on mine not brake greese. I coated the entire length of the threads. You all think this will be ok, or should I clean them (Bell Crank) again and get and use the greese.
    2003 Tundra, AC

Liked
    2 times
    Images

The anti seize you used is fine but you'll have to do it again in about a year or so since nothing stops corrosion on these. I do mine every year and i've tried grease and anti seize but both failed in about a year and had to be redone.

The best way to adjust the rear brakes is to adjust them manually. Lift the tire off the ground and tighten till the shoes are just touching the drums and you're good. Other wise you can still do it without lifting the truck by parking on a level paved surface(in neutral), remove the access plugs and tighten while moving the truck back and forth a little with you hand while you tighten the adjuster. Once you start feeling a little resistant, that's it. Do the other side and feel for just the slightest amount more resistance.
    '06 AC SR5 4x4
    '05 Honda Foreman 500S 4x4
    '04 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100

Liked
    0 times

My bell cranks were totally seized, couldn't even get them apart. Bought new parts, and painted each piece with rustoleum, let them dry for a couple days, put them back together with lots of brake grease in the boot and joints. Hoping that will help them not rust.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donda View Post
    Im I to understand that to adjust thre rear shoes you simply have to press and release the parking brake several times?
    My understanding is that you have to move in reverse with the parking brake engaged.
    2001 SR5 Access Cab 4.7V8 4x4
    OEM: FJ Rims; bed-liner; alarm; running boards; all-weather mats; door sill protectors; 13WL brake caliper upgrade; refurbed power steering rack
    TRD: TRD coils; color-keyed mirror covers, embroidered signature mats; Bilstein shocks
    OTHER: Bridgestone A/T Revos; NGK Iridium IX spark plugs; Skid Row front skid plate; Fumoto drain valve; Vibrant resonator; Magnaflow exhaust tip; Form-Fit deflector; Brembo rotors; Trfytoy window latches; Undercover tonneau; Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover; Hidden Hitch; Cobra 21LTD CB radio; K40 magmount CB antenna; Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender flares; Dorman polyurethane steering rack bushings; Moog outer tie rods; Moog sway bar links; Weathertech mats
    PENDING: TRD Kazuma LSD; Hellwig rear sway bar

Liked
    0 times

I have had good success at keeping my rear brakes adjusted by using the emergency brake while backing up. I back out of the driveway with my foot on the emergency brake only applying it and then releasing it a few times. I try to do this every week or so.
    2002 Tundra Limited AC - V8, 2WD, LSD, White

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Now that's what I thought. But it seems to me I remember pumping the regular brake pedal going backwards did the same thing....it used to on older cars i think. Where is it outlined what actually works? I looked in the owners manual and skimmed the service manual and could not find anything
    2003 Tundra, AC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.