Lift information?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Lift information?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Default Lift information?

All 4 of my shocks are bad, I also was wanting to lift it. Can I just buy bigger shocks than the factory ones to lift it?

It's a 2001. 2wd. SR5

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Lift information?

Shocks don't actually provide lift. However you can get Bilstein 5100s for the front that by moving the position of the coil on the shock do give up to 2.5" of lift. Then for the rear you will need a 1.5" add-a-leaf to match the front. Wheeler's Off Road

Liked
    4 times
    Images

You can buy an adjustable height front Bilstein strut to level the truck out if you want to save money. "Bigger" shocks won't provide lift, or proper shock travel. If you want to spend more money, you could go for a coil-over shock in the front (Icon, Fox, Bilstein, Camburg, Total Chaos, etc.) and you can go with a nice set of Bilstein's 5100's or whatever you want in the rear. I'm sure if you do some searching, you'll run accross all kinds of lift options with coil-over or bushing/puck/spacer lifts. Just depends on what you want to do with it, and how much money you're willing to throw at it. Nice thing is that with your truck being 2wd, you can crank it up and not worry about the front CV's.

Liked
    10 times
    Images

search buddy.

05 Salsa Red Pearl DC
    01 Honda Civic
    95 Acura Integra

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It depends on how much you want to spend. The Bilstein 5100's would best bang for your buck $410+ shipping+ installation. Don't settle for a cheap coil spacer leveling kit because you'll pay the price later on. I did.
    Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks from Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Black
    Cardomain Member
    Sold the Tundra for $5,000 without the wheels 12/10/2011

0_0
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Tundraman10 View Post
    Don't settle for a cheap coil spacer leveling kit because you'll pay the price later on. I did.
    I was looking at a 2.5" lift at suspension connection and it has spacer for the coils what happened to yours?
    2003 Tundra SR5 A/C 2wd Phantom Gray Pearl
    -5100s max on front
    -5100s rear + 1.5 Block
    ...and a HUGE WISHLIST

Coming Soon:
    Wheelers Black Alloys
    Clear Corners
    Alpine Door Speakers
    A New Trans..

Liked
    4 times
    Images

There are a couple spacer options I believe. One above the spring mount, and one under (Correct me if I'm wrong). I've had the Daystar 2" on my 00' before, and basically the spacer will pre-load your spring. So, every speed-bump you hit too fast will cause the suspension to pop as it pushes back. You get some noise, and a little stiffer ride. I definitely like the coil-over better.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Shock/Suspension Insight

I have been reading up on lift kits and Bilstein 5100's all night. I have absorbed a lot of useful information however have a few questions in regards to lifting the front end.

I have a 2005 double cab with 56k on the odometer. At what point is it reccommended to replace shocks in these trucks? Currently my rear shocks are squeeking every time I hit even a minor bump. I am assuming that shocks are a component that is looked at in the manner of if one of them starts making noise and begins to fail, its a sign that they are all on their way out the door? If one of my rear shocks is now making noise, is that a hint that its time to replace all of them?

I have wanted to level my truck for a while now, and after reading everything tonight I think I am going to go ahead and do it. If I get the 5100 adjustables for up front, is it recommended that I also upgrade the coils/springs? Can one replace just the shocks with the 5100's and keep their stock coils, or is that considered bad practice?

Also, if I do install the 5100's I am doing it to level the truck off, so will I need to add anything to the rear in order to have it look level to the eye?

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated...

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I guess the first thing to address it that there isn't really a recommendation on shock replacement. Some manufacturers might only specify 30k miles, or at least to check them at that point. I'm sure if you have the stock Tokico's they are probably fine for quite a while, but you will get better performance out of the Bilstein's for sure.

Your second question: No you do not need to replace the stock front spring, and if you did there used to be an Old Man Emu option that would bring the stock up level with the rear and handle more weight if you decide to add a ARB front bumper in the future. Check out Slee Offroad.com and they should have it listed under suspension for Tundra.

The 5100's in the front should bring you up to level, depending on what notch up raise it to (you may have to do some looking around on this site to see what other guys have set their ride height to). Or you could do the OME shocks and springs.

For the rear, the squeak you are hearing is actually a TSB for the set up of the rear bushings on the top mount of the shock. You may be able to search the site for the TSB an how to remedy it. It involved swapping the washer and a bushing if I remember right?? It used to drive me nuts on my 05' and then I did a rear add-a-leaf with some Bilstein 5100's for the rear and I was very pleased with the ride and handling. Definitely check out the fix for the rear bushing though. I don't have the fix printed out anymore. Good luck!