Radiator drain plug?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Radiator drain plug?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Radiator drain plug?

Is this my drain plug? I have never changed the coolant, so I go by the dealer here in H-Town and pick up a couple of gallons, get home and take the bottom guard off and this is what I get My son had the truck last year at college in San Antonio and we had the timing belt, water pump, etc changed at a dealer there and I guess they trashed it for me. Supposed to have kind of a "wing nut" look to it no?
    2003 Tundra, AC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Radiator drain plug?

Guess it would help if I included the pic.
    Last edited by Donda; 10-16-2009 at 06:25 PM.
    2003 Tundra, AC

Veteran Member
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

That is it. It should look like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	437385440.jpg 
Views:	1991 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	45253  

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Where did you get an image of that so quick? Thats impressive!! I suppose it's a stealer item no? Prob have to buy the radiator to get the plug.
    2003 Tundra, AC

Liked
    16 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Donda View Post
    Is this my drain plug? I have never changed the coolant, so I go by the dealer here in H-Town and pick up a couple of gallons, get home and take the bottom guard off and this is what I get My son had the truck last year at college in San Antonio and we had the timing belt, water pump, etc changed at a dealer there and I guess they trashed it for me. Supposed to have kind of a "wing nut" look to it no?
    That ain't pretty. BTW, that is just 1 of 3 drains. 2 more drains on the block, 1 on the left side and 1 on the right side. Get under the truck and look up at the block, you'll see them. They are brass and ahve a little drain off to the side of the nut. You loosen the nut and the fluid drains out(well, put a piece of tubing, ~3/16" on the drain and run it to your bucket). Drain these 2 along with the radiator, then you'll have done a more thorough job. That radiator drain doesn't let much out.
    /Mike
    2001 2WD Silver Tundra: 4x4 TRD springs, Camburg Uniballs with adjustable Bilsteins, Carson AAL, red/blue Bilsteins in rear, 265/75 Yokohama A/T, IS kit(minus bumper) and rims(hand polished), Billet Wing Window Latch Upgrade, TC Steering Bushings, RF851X amp, Alpine HU, JL 6.5"XR comps, Qlogic with JL 8W3V2 subs. Stebel 300Hz Air Horn.
    202k miles and counting......

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L, black with gray interior.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Ouch!, not much left of that drain plug youwill be very lucky if you can get it out, if you can't locate a new plug you might want to try a salvage yard, any compatible truck with a smashed radiator could donate it's drain plug. Scott

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Pliers should be able to get it out. If that does not work you could try a reverse thread bolt or drill and tap; it is plastic.
    2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4
    Mods: ToyTec 3" Lift, Alcan AAL, 1" Front Differential Drop, TRD Bilstein shocks, Inner CV Boot Clamp Mod, Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushings, Fiberglass Tonneau Cover, Bug shield, 2006 Off-road package rims, MagnaFlow Muffler, Rhino Liner, Alpine 6x9 Rear Speakers, 255x85 R16 Discoverer ST Tires

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I was able to get it loose with a small set of channel locks. I guess i'll start my search for a new one at the dealer (hate to, $$$$), but all the bone yards are plum the other side of Houston from me.

Thanks for the input!!
    2003 Tundra, AC

Veteran Member
    Liked
    141 times
    Images

Advance Auto, $4.48 Any local auto store should have them. Radiator Drain Plug by Motormite - Part 17190405 - Advance Auto Parts

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Thanks Kanaduh, i'm on it
    2003 Tundra, AC

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I said "I" never changed the coolant. Well i'm under it this morning draining the radiator and I notice what a pretty, clean red this stuff is . It dawns on me that the dealer that gald up my plug had to of changed it when they did the timing belt, water pump, etc. Duh!!! This stuff looks clean and clear of contaminants and has been in for about thirteen months. Would you change it, I mean at $24.95 a gallon (two gallons) I could buy some more LED's....or something thats more fun than coolant!!!
    2003 Tundra, AC